Magnepan 20.7 Vs. Soundlab A1/M1 Meet Up in SoCal....

capwkidd

Can we make this happen? We need someone with each of the speakers, and a place to compare them.... Anyone have A/M1's and are willing to have someone come over with 20.7's, or the other way around? Might be very enlightening!

satie

Re: Magnepan 20.7 Vs. Soundlab A1/M1 Meet Up in SoCal....
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm »
You would probably want to keep the speakers in their particular rooms for which they were chosen and with the equipment that the owners chose to make the best of them. You then need to shuttle the folks from the one place to the other for the auditions.

Moving these large panel speakers is an enormous hassle and should be done by pros.

capwkidd

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:47 pm »
I had a chance to hear the 20.7's, no need to compare directly.... They are obviously not as good as the Soundlabs....

satie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2013, 03:51 pm »
Can you give us a little more detail on the differences and the associated gear? "Better" is your personal judgment by your personal balance of criteria, Can you give us a better idea of what it was that led you to the conclusion?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2013, 04:01 pm »
I had a chance to hear the 20.7's, no need to compare directly.... They are obviously not as good as the Soundlabs....

15 years ago I borrowed Sound Labs from a dealer, and in my room Maggie 1.6s blew them away.  :scratch:   I'm sure there were other factors involved, but I was stunned/disappointed at the difference.

BruceSB

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:18 pm »
I think that SoundLabs need to be properly set up by a dealer.
I have been doing some investigation as I prepare for my next upgrade.
One electrostatic speaker (SoundLab) had a dealer setup as a costed part of the deal, the other (JansZen) didn't.
Talking about a whole day here.
I guess this is an example of a speaker that definitely requires a dealer setup.
Would have been interesting to have heard the difference, in your room, between the two if the SoundLab had been carefully set up.
Something to think about.
Bruce

capwkidd

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:33 am »
Seems like the Soundlabs would be easier to set up, as they have a much wider dispersion angle to them.....

BruceSB

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:51 am »
I probably should add a little more information here.
I asked both local distributers for non discounted costing (as well as some comments about options and so on).
The SoundLab people specifically costed it in (& in a bit of detail) while the JansZen people didn't even mention it!
Amongst other factors, the SoundLabs are dipoles and I think that this strongly influences positioning.
The JansZens are monopoles and can be put right up against a back wall if required.
There is probably more to it.
But, a day is still a fair amount of time for a setup.
Bruce

jsm71

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2013, 07:05 pm »
When I setup my JansZens my trial and error took about 5 minutes since it really didn't matter a huge amount.  They are very easy to place and get great sound.  Like many setups, observing the equilateral triangle is a great starting point.  Mine are now about 22" off the wall giving a great soundstage but as was said, they can go right against the wall if necessary.  This flexibility and smaller size created enough curiosity to look past my Maggie 1.7s, which I liked and still think highly of, and not even consider larger panels like Soundlabs.  The sound from these sealed the deal.  Buyers clearly don't need any help in setup.  Requiring help and charging for it would be two red flags for me.