Hear's my "problem"

Big Red Machine

Re: Hear's my "problem"
« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:26 pm »
Is it worth throwing in a tube pre after a reciever pre-out?

That would be along the lines of a tube buffer.  But I would suspect some impedance mismatch if it were a preamp as opposed to a "buffer".  Anyone???

coke

« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:13 pm »
I have somewhat of a hybrid 2.0/5.1 system with the ability to run pure 2.0 or add a receiver into the mix and get 5.1.

When in 5.1 mode, i use a preout of my Marantz receiver that runs to an input of my AVA tube hybrid preamp. 

Works great. The only issue is that i had to mark a spot for the volume on my pre so that the level of my mains can be matched with the center channel in 5.1 mode.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:51 pm »
You may be hearing aggravating source material on the resolving system and the lesser system doesnt reveal all the cd flaws.

Brick walled cds and mp3s dont stand up to a refined system

Tubes are wonderful

There is always analog for audio emotion

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2013, 12:07 am »
Any thoughts or suggestions?

if you want to stop by and hear my fully analog tube rig (it's changed multiple times since you were over last) come on by.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2013, 05:21 am »
Two weeks ago I took out my Cary SLP03 tube preamp from my 2 channel SS8 system. I replaced it with my old Bryston sp1.7 solid state prepro. I bought the tube preamp to help out the sound with my old speakers. I am leaning towards selling the Cary. If you want to try it out send me a PM.

guf

« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2013, 10:14 pm »
Great suggestions everyone. Thanks! I like the idea looking into a tube pre. I'm strongly considering the Bottlehead Beepee 300b diy preamp. I like their products, and loving their sound on my other system. Maybe the mostly logical solution instead of selling everything and starting over like Quiet earth suggested  :)  Unless i head over to check out vortex's complete analog system then maybe i will need to start over.

DS-21

« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2013, 03:57 pm »
Yes, tube equipments got their own magic that make them very unique. ***

Fancy lightbulbs make great placebos, but besides that (and the high output impedance of tube amps) nothing special. Looking at them makes some men get all sappy, but that has nothing to do with their sonic properties.

Now, if you want a placebo, add a glorified lightbulb somewhere. It doesn't matter where. The only real point of it is for you to look at it and "hear" tube warmth.

Here's what I'd recommend. Measure what's happening in the nearfield system. There will likely be some mix of rolled off highs/lows, and boosted midrange. (The SET amp may be relatively flat into a resistor, but not into a speaker with varying impedance.) Buy an equalizer (such as a miniDSP unit) and copy the curve you find in nearfield system to the main system.

Gzerro

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:55 pm »
Don't forget a turntable to go with your tubes...

For me its much more involving having a physical connection to the music, plus getting up to change the record keeps me alert.

Rocket

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2013, 12:57 am »
Hi,

Have you considered a change in amplifiers?  Your amplifiers are wyred 4 sound digital amplifiers which I've read numerous reports are great sounding.  I have a little older tech digital amplifier but always found that it didn't get my foot tapping but sounded very transparent. 

Is there any chance you could demo some different products prior to purchasing new gear?  I know what its like to be on the merry go round and spending lots of money.

Cheers and good luck

Rod