How do you maintain your LP"S
« on: 12 Feb 2003, 07:38 pm »
What method for cleaning old records
also what do you use before playing records
and etc.?

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2003, 08:03 pm »
I use a microscopic remote-controlled robot with a dirt scoop on the front that travels down the grooves.  It pulls a tiny dump truck behind it and tosses the dirt, skin flakes, carpet fibers, dust mite feces and congealed clods of flesh oils into that. I monitor the robot's progress with a scanning electron microscope as it removes impurities from old vinyl.  It takes a few hours for the robot to scuttle across the whole LP side, but it's worth it.  The dump truck must be emptied every song or so, as the capacity is not very large.  I'm working on an attachment that will repair skips as well.

Those wet vac machines seem to work too.  Makes sense I suppose, you're actually removing the funk instead of just moving it around.  I'd be interested to see if the all-in-one machines work better or faster than my KAB model, which is dependent on the vacuum strength you use.  Whatever you do, don't use a "DataVac"; this thing is a complete piece of junk. Nice size and all, but it does not suck worth a damn.  

But I've found that old records seem to have noise on them no matter what you do.  You must force yourself to accept and enjoy the fact that the crackles are coming through the speakers with more fidelity than the music.  Only then is nirvana attainable.

hairofthedawg

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2003, 08:25 pm »
True, you can never get rid of all the crackles...I use a VPI vacuum, I think it's the 16.5 and it does work well with the funk.  But by the time I put it back in the sleeve and get it on the turntable, there's more dust, so I've got a discwasher on the way to combat this.  Also the plastic sleeves which should be less dusty than the paper ones.  Cyprus is a dusty place and I'm thinking about hinging the dust cover which at present is  just placed on the turntable....hard battle to win

cheers,

Dick

beat

I use an old discwasher..
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2003, 02:26 am »
I use an old discwasher..works alot better than the cheap knock off I used to use. I have been considering modifying my little bissel steam cleaner thing for deep cleaning..not really steam but I forget what they call it.

Hoots

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 05:53 pm »
I have the DISC DOCTOR's "Miracle Record cleaner" and brushes for cleaning my new purchases.  After that I've been using the old DiscWasher system.  I used to use an anti-static gun but it broke...you can probably guess why.

It's a bit of a pain for volume use with drying time plus cleaning, rinsing per side.

I'm interested in the cleaning machines but the budget isn't ready for that yet.  I want to improve my TT first.

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2003, 07:11 pm »
Disc Doctor record cleaner, brushes, and distilled water - making sure to rinse record very well with distilled water after treatment.  I usually replace inner sleeves on used records with Bags Unlimited poly lined heavy paper sleeves which are available for ~$27.00/100.

A good dry record brush, such as an EDA/Hunt is also a worthwhile investment, as vinyl does seem to collect its fair share of dust.

Another important thing to do is store albums vertically.  A lot of improperly stored (leaning, etc.) albums become warped over time.

NB