What could this be?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
What could this be?
« on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:20 pm »
One AC member knows what this is, the rest will find out soon.  All I'll say right now is it's the start of something exciting, and will make it's debut at RMAF.

WireNut

Re: What could this be?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:26 pm »
It's gonna be a DIY folded horn project  :?:

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2013, 01:53 am »
Hm, if you made the sides out of plastic, it could be a new type of toothpaste dispensor...?

:D

The signals are confusing. What size is it? (I guess that would be giving it away :) )

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:36 am »
Hm, if you made the sides out of plastic, it could be a new type of toothpaste dispensor...?

:D

The signals are confusing. What size is it? (I guess that would be giving it away :) )

We were considering making the sides out of plexi to show off.  Could maybe put a blower motor inside and have a new hand dryer for public bathrooms.  Eat your heart out Dyson  :lol:

Size?  Big ... these are just the first 4 slices, 14 more to go.  That's like 26" tall.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:51 am »
It's gonna be a DIY folded horn project  :?:

You're in the ballpark at least, and DIY if the Y is me. 

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:57 am »
Transmission line sub?  Assymetrical, aperiodic, asymptotic full-range design?  Golden ratio based room tuning device?  Next geometric shape of mysterious origin for the movie "3001: The Final Odyssey", based on Arthur C. Clarke's book?  :lol:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2013, 05:29 am »
Horn loaded sub seems about right...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2013, 07:16 am »
I'd say a too-short transmission line or, if stuffed appropriately, a quasi-transmission line/resistive port hybrid, like a sophisticated version of the SP Tech Timepiece or the various PMCs.

If I understand correctly that there are 18 slices which total 26" and we're looking at 4, then this should be 5.77" (4 X 1.444") of depth (height?) we're looking at, and if that's right, these are pretty huge. If this is a transmission line, it seems to me the taper could easily be made more consistent around the second bend with a re-thinking of the shape of the finger pointing to eleven o'clock. But maybe it's not!

seadogs1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:00 pm »
Looks good to me!!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:18 pm »

Hi Russell.  Been making any new recordings of late?  You are too good not to have.  Where would a listener find a copy of the above?

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:42 pm »
[img]
Hi Russell.  Been making any new recordings of late?  You are too good not to have.  Where would a listener find a copy of the above?

Here you go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=international+guitar+night+ii

:thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2013, 09:46 pm »
Looks a transmission line cabinet to me too.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2013, 10:07 pm »

I see it's going for only $86.09 at the Book Grove!
Most of my recent work has been choral and a capella. There is an example from the latest CD by the Balkan Babes:
http://www.balkanbabes.ca/ (click Volio to enter, click on "music" and listen to the sample from Volio - the samples from the earlier CD are mono and sound a little muffled, since these are all Blumlein recordings. You can here some of my other orchestral stuff (of which I'm proud) at the bottom of this 6 moons story from a few years ago: http://tinyurl.com/26ybt9

I dare hijack no longer - a thousand apologies, Ryan.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2013, 10:58 pm »
I'd say a too-short transmission line or, if stuffed appropriately, a quasi-transmission line/resistive port hybrid, like a sophisticated version of the SP Tech Timepiece or the various PMCs.

If I understand correctly that there are 18 slices which total 26" and we're looking at 4, then this should be 5.77" (4 X 1.444") of depth (height?) we're looking at, and if that's right, these are pretty huge. If this is a transmission line, it seems to me the taper could easily be made more consistent around the second bend with a re-thinking of the shape of the finger pointing to eleven o'clock. But maybe it's not!

Too short for what?  It is a transmission line, stacked side-to-side out of CNC cut Birch Ply pieces.  The line is exactly as long as it needs to be, with just the right tape.  In it will be the incredible AudioTechnology 10C77 Sandwich Cone 10" woofer. 

This will be the bass section, on top will be a Cirrus shaped cabinet housing the RAAL 140-15D tweeter and Accuton C173 Neo midrange.  It'll be making it's debut at RMAF. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2013, 11:04 pm »
What is the projected 3dB down point.
Scott

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2013, 11:09 pm »

This will be the bass section, on top will be a Cirrus shaped cabinet housing the RAAL 140-15D tweeter and Accuton C173 Neo midrange.  It'll be making it's debut at RMAF.

Too early to ask the question of Cirrus with transmission line vs Nimbus? So many tempting Vapor goodies....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:28 am »
Balkan Babes?  You're trippin me out, Russell.  I sampled several tracks and from what I can tell over my computer speakers the sound would be fabulous over my listening room system.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:39 am »
Too early to ask the question of Cirrus with transmission line vs Nimbus? So many tempting Vapor goodies....

Add it to the list of reasons I need to visit St Louis.

csmgolf

« Reply #18 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:43 am »
Looks awesome Ryan! Properly done transmission line bass is as good as it gets IMO. I bet this set up will sound at least as good as it looks.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2013, 01:19 am »
Brown note capable?  :wink:
Looks like fun though. Can't wait to hear it.