denon avr-1908 to power salk songtowers and center?

scjb007

Would my existing receiver(denon avr-1908) be up to task to power salk songtowers and center? Or should I be factoring in amplifiers into my setup cost.  I'll be using them for HT front setup. 

Thank you in advance for advice,
Jeremy

glangford

Re: denon avr-1908 to power salk songtowers and center?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2013, 10:25 am »
Probably just fine.  Jim has said anything with an honest 80 wpc is sufficient for the STs.  I think the 1908 comes in at 90 wpc.  I use a 3311ci and it can drive my SCSTs to insane levels. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2013, 01:34 pm »
I don't see a problem at all. If you are like me, eventually you will want something with more power, but it certainly not a necessary

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2013, 02:07 pm »
I used an Anthem MRX-300 to drive a SongTower, SongCenter, and SongSurrounds for awhile with no problem which Anthem rates at 80wx2 and 60wx5 into 8ohms. The room was on the smaller side but could tell the receiver had no problem. What is the size of the room and max level of volume you listen at?

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2013, 02:44 pm »
Would my existing receiver(denon avr-1908) be up to task to power salk songtowers and center? Or should I be factoring in amplifiers into my setup cost.  I'll be using them for HT front setup. 

Thank you in advance for advice,
Jeremy

Your reciever would do just fine but be warned, you will be into a upgraditis mode like many of us here in the Salk circle.  :lol:

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:15 pm »
My attitude on matters like this is simple...

Use what you have until you determine that you are not satisfied with the results.  There is no need to upgrade anything (like a receiver) until you have determined that it does not meet your needs.  Why spend money you don't have to?

In your case, your current receiver will drive the SongTowers, etc. without problems.  Upgrading will often bring your entire system to a new level and that's the nice thing.  There is no need to upgrade the speakers to go to that new level.  They will reflect any improvements in the up-stream components.  But if you are happy with the sound you are getting, there is no need to spend more money.

- Jim

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2013, 08:46 pm »
The Denon will do just fine. Once your new setup is fine tuned you are comfortable with the sound invite other audio friends over for a listen, then ask them to bring over their amps to try with the SongTowers. I have discovered that the grass is not always greener on the other side and I prefer my amp most of the time. You can meet quite a few audiophiles in your area through AC.

As a side note, for the center channel I'm using the amp section of the NAD 7155 receiver I  bought in 1985 along with a pair of JBL 2500 speakers bought at a yard sale. The setup works surprising well for movies and seamlessly blends with the Salk HT2-TL speakers and AVA Synergy 450 amp. Luck has a lot to do with equipment pairings.

Wayne

scjb007

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:19 am »
Wow.  Thanks for the advice.  I'm very impressed to have Mr. Salk take time to respond as well.  As someone new to audio all my "experience" is from the internet because I'm pretty much on an audio island in the middle of southeastern ky.  Any advice on my ht setup is appreciated.

The Denon will do just fine. Once your new setup is fine tuned you are comfortable with the sound invite other audio friends over for a listen, then ask them to bring over their amps to try with the SongTowers. I have discovered that the grass is not always greener on the other side and I prefer my amp most of the time. You can meet quite a few audiophiles in your area through AC.

As a side note, for the center channel I'm using the amp section of the NAD 7155 receiver I  bought in 1985 along with a pair of JBL 2500 speakers bought at a yard sale. The setup works surprising well for movies and seamlessly blends with the Salk HT2-TL speakers and AVA Synergy 450 amp. Luck has a lot to do with equipment pairings.

Wayne

I'm excited to hear that there might be options for a center to match with the Songtowners other than the songcenter(I'm just pushing my "short term" budget on the towers, and hopeful a svs sub)<$3500.  I'm interested to see if others would agree with this ht setup and what other center you would recommend.

My living room is 19 x 30 w/9ft ceilings and open to the kitchen.  My goal is that awesome movie theater "feeling" and will probably be done in stages.

Thanks,
Jeremy

joegator81

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:57 pm »
When i first received my salks (songtowers, songcenter, songsurrounds) i was using a denon 19.... something or other receiver. I will say that for movies it was more than adequate. As far as power goes, it had enough. However, the quality just wasnt there for music. I had a hunch that these speakers really wanted and deserved better. The denon didnt have preouts so i replaced it with an onkyo that did. I eventually added an external power amp and a preamp w/ pass through for music and am very happy with the results. I actually tried the speakers w/ just the onkyo when i was in between power amps and the differences were noticable. I'm currently using an NAD c270 power amp which can be had for a very inexpensive sum on eBay. Good luck.