Speaker selection for RAM 301

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 12 Feb 2003, 06:04 pm »
I am receiving daily inquiries on which speakers would mate well with the 30 wpc RAM 301 Signature.
  After personally auditioning several speakers with this amp from Omega TS3's to Totem Tabus, it is very apparent that it will boil down to personal listening habits.
  To see how various speakers match up with the RAM 301, I would suggest following Scott Faller's ongoing speaker reviews at WWW.TNT-AUDIO.COM as he is utilizing a pair of these amps in his speaker shoot-out/reviews.
  The first in the series of reviews is the Dynaudio 42's which is now posted
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.htmlhttp://

A review of the amp itself is scheduled to appear on TNT shortly but for now we can get an idea of how this amp will react with the speakers throughout his shoot-out. Who knows, maybe you already own one of these speakers.
 I hope this will help answer some of the questions regarding this amp and appropriate speakers for one's personal taste and listening habits.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:11 am »
Bill:

How does the RAM 301 match up to the Omega TS3's?

Can you get Louis to include the RAM 301 with the stuff he's bringing to MAF-2?

These are both products that have really caught my eye.

jeff

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:24 am »
Actually, you can now contact Luois to see how the RAM 301 works with the TS3s, He now has one of these amps running these speaker as I sent him one to take to the Ohio show. YES, he will be bringing along the RAM 301 to the show.
  I would ask on his circle.
  If I have enough stock in time, I will send him the new RAM CD player to take also but time is a great issue at this point.

wrxinred

How well is B&W 805 with RAM 301?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2003, 11:43 am »
Hi Bill,
I got a pair of 805 and i'm looking for an amp that can push this baby well. i will mainly use this for HT and 2 channel. should i get an hybird mod or intergrated amp ? any suggestion would be great.

Thanks,
wrxinred.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2003, 01:17 pm »
I got a pair of 805 and i'm looking for an amp that can push this baby well. i will mainly use this for HT and 2 channel. should i get an hybird mod or intergrated amp ? any suggestion would be great.

The 805 is not to difficult to drive. This would depend on your listening habits and whether or not you have a sub. I know of one or two driving these speakers with the Ram 301 and others with the SE502.

If you like constant higher volumes and are interested in the Jolida line, I would look at one of the larger units such as a JD1701 / 1501 or SE302 / 502. These amps can all be utilized in an HT setup while still keeping your 2-channel separate.

A little more information would help me help you choose what would better suit your needs.

tybee

RAM 301
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2003, 03:28 pm »
I previously owned the prototype RAM 301 and used it with many 87 db and higher speakers.  I liked it best with Von Schweikert VR1s.  

I traded it back to Response for a modded 502B for possible use with Ellis 1801Bs when they are completed.  I really miss the RAM 301, but I do not have a use for it in my household.  It really is a great little amp!

wrxinred

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2003, 06:43 pm »
Hi Bill,

First off thank you for the fast reply, and that give me some idea.
Yes, i will have a sub. but it will be mainly with HT only.
I'm thinking of using the pre-out for the front channel of my processor unit to the Ram 301 for HT use.
White 2 channel listening will be only using the Ram 301 to drive the 805.

i'm not an high volume user, but would that still be enough to use as HT? since HT requir a lot higher then regular listening volume.

also does 805 is 91db or 89db that i'm not so sure.

furthermore, what will be the trade in policy for Ram301?

Thanks,
wrxinred.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2003, 07:13 pm »
wrxinred

The B&W 805 is rated at 88 dB.

Driving these with the RAM 301 would not be a problem keeping in mind that you are not going to rattle any windows with this combination. Then again, the speakers are rated down to only 56 Hz.

I do have one new RAM 301 in stock that is on clearance for less than what it cost us to build it. I am looking for $575 including shipping!

For a trade in, we usually go 100% for new units bought at regular price. On this amp, I would go 75% as a trade in for something else from us.

Using it for HT would not be a problem as you would be using a subwoofer in this application.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
A new review
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2003, 07:21 pm »
As mentioned in a previous post, Scott Faller of TNT-Audio is using the RAM 302 in his <$1000 speaker shootout. Another speaker review has shown up today with more mention of the RAM 301. To see hwat he has said about this amp feel free to check out the latest review at
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html

Better yet, below is some insight on how this amp works with a harder to drive pair of speakers, as taken from the TNT review for the Dynaudio 42 which are rated at only 86 dB.

The Dyn's Behind RAM 301
After listening for a while to all different types of music, I found that the Dyn's seem to like a bit more current (and wattage) to perform at their best. As good as the RAM's sound, I'm afraid that Dyn's aren't probably a good match for a low power, low(er) current amp if you are looking to rock the house. At 86dB and a 4 ohm load, these can be just a tad difficult to drive into high sound pressure levels on a low powered amp. On the other hand, if you listen at moderate levels, a lower powered solid state amp will do you just fine. Add the tubed pre (like the RAM 301's have) and you are talking some pretty fine sounding music.

wrxinred

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2003, 07:36 am »
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your info. your offer is really good. and i 'm thinking through it through my sleep, i should know within couple of days. i will give you a call this week.

Can the RAM 301 be an mono? or i should as can it be mod to mono?

How would the RAm301 compare to 302B?

I will check down the spk review.