A Quick Powercord Question

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: A Quick Powercord Question
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2013, 03:27 pm »
  There are several ways to cancel out noise without networks. Properly executed winding is one way. Shielding another. Lets not forget the wire either.
    Debating the issue is just silly. Give one a try and decide for yourself. One of our club members owns a lovely pair of 28b mono blocks. We experimented with power cords for kicks as he does not believe they make a difference. To his surprise they did. We tried several brands from Belden to TWL. the amps are extremely revealing as are his speakers. He now is using upgraded power cords.
   The only thing this story tells us is that the owner preferred a different PC. Try one already and trust your judgement. No preconceptions give it a fair test.

charles

I also didn't think powercords could make a difference. Then discovered well yeah they can improve the sound.
made a 'believer' out of me too.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2013, 10:33 pm »
I also didn't think powercords could make a difference. Then discovered well yeah they can improve the sound.
made a 'believer' out of me too.   Like wise here  :bowdown:

Rod_S

« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm »
Very interesting discussion.

So would it be safe to assume that the best places to start with when upgrading power cables would be any cables that plug into the wall rather than say for a component that plugs into a power conditioner? In those situations the best cable should be on the conditioner itself?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2013, 02:08 pm »
Charles and Elizabeth have made the point pretty well.  You can argue theory, or you can listen.  In my rig, PC's are noticeable in amps and sources- some more than others.  Pick a vendor that will let you have one on trial.   I'd also replace your electrical outlet if it's what came with your dwelling.  Hospital grade can make as big a difference as PC, or even more.  Dave Elledge at P.I. Audio Group has some cryoed, and they're cheap.

Scott

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:10 pm »
  Well said S. Clark. Like I've stated many times before regarding this worn out topic, my power cords have been a worthwhile addition to all my components. My preamp has had the greatest improvement in smoothness and detail. I can only assume this is because of noise cancelling effect of the cords' design. :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:50 pm »
I'd imagine if our ears can pick up smoothness,detail,more solid bottom end then I'm sure a high quality digital recorder would pick that up also or perhaps not.

stereoal

« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:27 pm »
I have an XLO Reference 2 Type 10A powercord. The rest of the cords on my Bryston system came from the manufacturer. Which component would be best connected to the XLO: my Bryston CD player, my BP26 preamp or my BDA1?  I don't know if the XLO is a really good powercord, but it's purple so it looks pretty. Right now I have it connected to an Arcam CD player. I don't know if it makes a difference in sound because it's the only cord I've ever used on it.
Thanks for your advice.

drummermitchell

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm »
I would like you, do the cdp,then try the 26.
If it's not a huge difference you can here,especially when you have to exert some energy to swap them out and still have the same frame
of mind,especially when your mind is anticipating a difference and your hearts pumpin a bit faster after the cable swap(been there).
Yes even physically going up to the gear and swapping cables will mentally make a difference.
Been through shunyata's helixes(Anacondas,pythons,lessloss ect,sold em all.
Still like the eye candy thing so I aquired used(and for cheap)Taipans(10awg).
Been doing music all my life and can't hear major difference especially when people use the words more slam,bigger stage,mids and highs more open.
If it was such a major  change then I'm  sure an external digital recorder could record the before and after.
After all a good recorder can pick out macro detail.
I'll take a cable that doesn't act like an antenna,course the 2"foam pipe insulation cords with 16awg twisted or better yet braided by hand with a nice jacket covering the reality of what's really inside,plus a 2100.00 tag at the end,hell I need twelve of em as that what I have for amps and components.
If it were such a difference I would have kept them as for me music is the star of the show and if a cable makes a dramatic improvement
I'm all for it,been thru a lot of cables(PC's,IC's SC's)back to home base with Bryston cables and of course some eye candy for cheap,the Taipans.
Whoops,time for another bud  8).