The Flaw

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
The Flaw
« on: 5 Sep 2013, 01:50 am »
Once I cut the cord on Cable/Satellite and now use Netflix and Hulu for my main entertainment choices, I've been on a bit of a documentary kick.  The Flaw is one I caught recently.  I thought it would be the typical left-leaning political diatribe, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was mainly an economics film.  The vast majority of the interviews are with economists or with professionals involved with the housing bubble in the US.  The one distinction that they made clear is the difference between a commodity (consumer) market and an asset market, and how price inflation in one leads to decreased demand, while leading to increased demand in the other.  I'd never thought of it that way before.

Also, for a while now I'd been hearing about how wealth in the US is flowing to the top 1% (or is it 5%?  whatever).  I always thought it was a bunch of hyperbole and, well, crap.  But this shows how it happens, from a mechanistic standpoint.  I appreciate mechanism.  And it's pretty simple, really.  I'm just glad I didn't get a HELOC on my home to pay off credit card debt at the height of the bubble, unlike some very close friends of mine. 

Anyway, I highly recommend it.  A bit dry, but really fascinating info.

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2013, 03:09 am by Tyson »