LET'S TRY AGAIN: ODYSSEY MONOS (NOT EXTREME) VS. ODYSSEY ST

Doc Jr 8156

One more time:  Anybody compared Odyssey Monos (Dual or single chassis) to 2 Odyssey Stratos amps in similar application?  For the price of the upgraded Monos(360, 000 mf), you can also get 2 Stratos with cap upgrade (120, 000 mf) with more power to spare and more flexibility for further system configuration. Comments. :roll:

Palladin

« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2003, 08:00 pm »
I think you might get a better response from members if you did not ask your question in such a condescending and demanding tone. I particularly do not enjoy the "LET'S TRY IT AGAIN" portion of your subject.

I think you will find most people are here to help and enjoy their hobby. If you treat members with a little respect and demonstratesome patience, things will work out well for you. Good luck.

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2003, 08:51 pm »
:oops: If my statements from the original post were somewhat threathening, condescending, demanding or what not, I apologize.  Please don't get me wrong, I posted and inquired about the same topic (see posting for Feb 4, 2003) few days ago and no one responded.  Of course, I'm not expecting or 100% sure that anyone in this forum compared the products as I stated.  Maybe, my first post was unclear hence I reposted for clarification. I also own an Odyssey Stratos and thinking of buying either Dual Mono (I don't want to convert my Stratos to one) or another Stratos because, if you will compute the investment involve in either avenue give and take you only need to shell out $300.  Same waiting time, either way, but with another Stratos the flexibility of system upgrades (even to HT) would be better.

Now, my question is about the sonic performance evaluation of thse products.  Please do not lecture me about how good people in this forum are, how to treat them with respect.  I WAS HERE BEFORE YOU!!!!!  Your response is your first post so let's not pretend.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2003, 09:18 pm »
Doc,

While I have not compared the products the way you have asked, I have compared a Stratos to a Dual mono.  You are indeed correct in that the double stereo is more flexible with more channels for HT or for bi-amping.

The mono's give you better bass control and a slightly smoother top end IMO.

I don't think you can go too far wrong either way.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2003, 09:20 pm »
Don't sweat it Doc. :D   I can see how Palladin could take it the wrong way with the all caps and all.  I didn't take it that way at all.  We've all had post that gets a hundred views and no responses.  I'll buy you both a beer at the sprots bar  :beer:

Most people who had the stereo and moved on to the DM or M blocks probably did not have the chance to compare them side by side  :|  but hopefully they will chime in with their experiences.  You may want to search HD for some more info.

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2003, 09:51 pm »
Marbles and Maxcast,

Thanks for the reply, as always words from the "wiser" ones.  All is cool.  As Klaus always end his post :He. He. He! 8)

amandarae

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2003, 11:28 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen (including your pets)....CHILL OUT! :beer:

Everyone is entitiled to their own "first impression" even if it is wrong
sometimes :lol:

We at this forum own some type of Stratos amp (I presume) so we have something in common.  A little misunderstanding  here and there,  a little misjudgement of the tone of one's post, is fine!   No harm done, so move on.

for you DocJr....take them damn caps-lock off them keyboard when you post will ya :nono: ...you're making some people jiggy...he,he,he

Remember, Odyssey amps, be it stereo, monos, dual monos, Xtremes, or HT series will give you  :drums:  and  :violin:  and  :guitar:  that will make you :dance: not  :bawl: or  :sleep:  so...Rock On! :wink:

W.C.

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2003, 08:11 am »
Doc,
    Hi, I think the reason nobody responded to your first post was that it's kind of a tough question. I would say that it depends on what your speakers are and what are their characteristics?  Klaus would know for sure. I agree that the monoblocks either single or dual mono are a very noticeable step up compared to  the regular stereo amps. I'm sort of at the same crossroad, trying to decide on buying a pair of extreems or having my monoblocks converted to 2 dual mono's and bi-amping my mains with both. With a music / ht system, the dual mono's are an attractive option because they take up less space. As far as comparing a pair of mono's versus a pair of stereo's, I'm really not sure. But I think I would lean in the direction of the mono's.

Sammy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2003, 05:27 am »
Doc,

For what it's worth, I did have the pleasure of comparing a stereo Stratos with the monoblocks in my system (both fully broken in) for over a week. I eventually decided to ship the stereo Stratos back to Klaus and keep the monos.

The monos exerted far better control over my Legatos speakers than the stereo, the soundstage was wider and deeper. As Marbles said, the bottom end was definitely better with the monos. As a matter of fact, that was the first noticeable difference. I had the stereo Stratos for over a year and was quite happy with it, but the monos were simply steps ahead and were well worth the price difference to me. So, I went with it. With the monos, I got much better dynamics and as a mostly classical music listener, I felt there was more presence around the instruments with better separation. Comparatively speaking, after the monos in the system, the upper end didn't seem as lean with them as the stereo now seemed. That's not to say that that was a leanness I ever complained about with the stereo Stratos.

Hope this helps.