An introduction and questions for Von Schweikert owners

gme109

Hello all,

My name is Gary, and although not new to AudioCircle, this is my first post in Von Schweikert's forum. I've been a music lover from as far back as I can remember, and an audiophile since my teens.

Well I've decided it's time for a speaker change/upgrade, and from what I've read about Von Schweikert's designs, I think I'm on the right track. I have heard some of Von Schweikert's earlier designs, like the original VR4 SR. and VR4 JR, and was always struck by how musical and well balanced the sound was.
I would put musicality, accurate instrument and vocal timbre, at the top of my list of priorities, followed by imaging and a realistic soundstage, in terms of height, width and depth. Of course transparency, dynamics, PRAT, and frequency extension are important as well.

In my quest for the ultimate speaker, I've generally found that at my price point, you can't have it all. The most musical speakers I've come across, were small stand mounted two ways, that excel in musicality, but lack frequency extension at the low end, and realistic soundstage height. And on the other hand, the full range speakers I've heard in my price range, did not have the level of musicality that I'm seeking, and in some cases even lacked what I consider proper soundstage height.

Greg Weaver's recent review of the VR-22 peaked my interest in Von Schweikert again, and steered me to his website and this forum. I'm now seriously looking at the VR-35. From what I've read, this speaker seems like it may do everything I'm looking for, and within my price range!

I would really be interested in hearing from Von Schweikert owners, particularly VR-35 users, what speakers you previously owned, and upgraded from, or had a chance to compare the VR-35's to.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2013, 01:58 pm by gme109 »

roscoeiii

Re: An introduction and questions for Von Schweikert owners
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:04 am »
Curious why you are thinking 35 instead of the 33. Not that I have heard either. But love my VR-4s

gme109

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:33 pm »
Curious why you are thinking 35 instead of the 33. Not that I have heard either. But love my VR-4s

Higher quality cabinet damping and parts.

gme109

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm »
Just thought of another question. How important is the construction of the front wall behind the speakers? They would be going against hollow core by-pass doors.

Will this seriously impact bass performance?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:42 pm »
What brand of speakers are there now?  It seems to me that since the 33/35 are designed to be placed close to a wall, that you'd need to stuff those hollow core panels with some kind of insulation.

gme109

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:56 pm »
What brand of speakers are there now?  It seems to me that since the 33/35 are designed to be placed close to a wall, that you'd need to stuff those hollow core panels with some kind of insulation.

They were custom built by Selah Audio.

Stuffing them with insulation would not be an option. Replacing them with solid core doors maybe a better solution though.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2013, 12:07 am by gme109 »

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2013, 05:12 pm »
I would give Von Schweikert a call with that question. These speakers were deisgned to take advantage of the wall behind them. You might be better off with a front ported design. IIRC, some older VSA models have a front port, but I am not sure how well they work against a wall.

mdconnelly

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2013, 05:58 pm »
I'd also suggest checking with VSA.  I've got a pair of VR-35s that are excellent in my room but given that they are designed to work by coupling with the front wall, I wonder how they may work for you given those hollow doors.  It might prove perfectly fine, but it's a bit of an unknown.   While the eval period is your friend, shipping is still non-trivial unless you've got a local dealer.

For what it's worth, I was using a pair of Aerial 10T speakers before switching to the VR-35s almost 2 years ago.  The 10Ts were excellent - particularly in the bass -  but not very room (or wife) friendly.  They also needed to be quite a ways out from the front wall to strut their stuff.   IMHO, the VR-35s sound better in most every respect.  Bass is tight, tuneful and goes plenty deep.  Perhaps the most striking aspect of the VR-35s is the size of the soundstage.  Just huge -- deep and wide -- and easily extends beyond the speakers.  They don't have a 'locked-in' sweetspot and I'm good with that.   If find them highly engaging musically and, while far from classification of 'highly detailed', with the right music, can easily put you in the recording venue (or it in your room ;-).   Feed them with the right electronics and they will reward you big.

Good luck!

gme109

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2013, 06:12 pm »
I'd also suggest checking with VSA.  I've got a pair of VR-35s that are excellent in my room but given that they are designed to work by coupling with the front wall, I wonder how they may work for you given those hollow doors.  It might prove perfectly fine, but it's a bit of an unknown.   While the eval period is your friend, shipping is still non-trivial unless you've got a local dealer.

For what it's worth, I was using a pair of Aerial 10T speakers before switching to the VR-35s almost 2 years ago.  The 10Ts were excellent - particularly in the bass -  but not very room (or wife) friendly.  They also needed to be quite a ways out from the front wall to strut their stuff.   IMHO, the VR-35s sound better in most every respect.  Bass is tight, tuneful and goes plenty deep.  Perhaps the most striking aspect of the VR-35s is the size of the soundstage.  Just huge -- deep and wide -- and easily extends beyond the speakers.  They don't have a 'locked-in' sweetspot and I'm good with that.   If find them highly engaging musically and, while far from classification of 'highly detailed', with the right music, can easily put you in the recording venue (or it in your room ;-).   Feed them with the right electronics and they will reward you big.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

Question, did you get a chance to compare your 35's that are internally wired with JPS Labs hookup wire, to a stock pair of 35's?

mdconnelly

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2013, 06:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

Question, did you get a chance to compare your 35's that are internally wired with JPS Labs hookup wire, to a stock pair of 35's?

No I didn't, but I'm also a very happy JPS customer so had no hesitation on that front.  How much of a difference that may have made is hard to say.   Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions on that front.

gme109

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2013, 06:56 pm »
No I didn't, but I'm also a very happy JPS customer so had no hesitation on that front.  How much of a difference that may have made is hard to say.   Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions on that front.

PM sent.