parr3n1

Cheap and cheerful cd player/transport
« on: 31 Aug 2013, 02:35 pm »
I am and have been an analog fan forever. However I have changed
to a headphone system and find that for the sake of convenience I
would like to add digital capability. A cheap and cheerful Cd player would
suit me fine. I have purchased a couple of used Marantz cd63's that sound
ok but they don't last, just to old. Budget up to $400, rather not go that high
but ok I would. I have thought about a computer system but that's a big learning
curve and I think more equipment. What are your thoughts???? thanks

yeldarb

Re: Cheap and cheerful cd player/transport
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2013, 05:54 pm »
Onkyo C-7030

I have had mine for over a year and am quite satisfied.  Using both as a CD and a transport to my Ack Dac 2.  On its own it is very listenable.  Lots of reviews on Amazon.

mal

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2013, 11:02 pm »
Budget up to $400, rather not go that high
but ok I would. I have thought about a computer system but that's a big learning

I think a computer system is probably in the cards for everyone sooner rather than later. The last ten years have seen most of engineering effort spent in that direction. Personally, I'll probably never spin another CD (except to rip it).

If you're looking for a cheap'n'cheerful cd player in current production, though, I can point you to Napa Acoustic. They make a $400 model that comes across as sweet and musical, even if it's not quite state of the art on detail or speed. The sound is very much like that of the CD63, in fact.

NAD, Marantz and Pro-Ject also cell current production cd players in your price range. Those brands also have a pretty heavy dealer presence, so you might find them a bit easier to audition.

parr3n1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2013, 12:50 am »
thanks for the responses.
Not knowing anything about computer audio other than how to download on
itunes, what are the bare essentials to have listenable sound. I am using
headphones and amp. I am assuming a dac, can I just use a laptop for storage
to start with?

mal

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2013, 01:42 am »
I am using headphones and amp. I am assuming a dac, can I just use a laptop for storage
to start with?

If you already have headphones and an amp you like, then, yes, a dac of some kind is in order. After that, I'd also spend a bit of cash on something like Audirvana or BitPerfect to get the iTunes sound subsystem out of the way. Bitperfect probably has the shallowest learning curve and the lowest price. You might even want to take the extra step of ripping your discs with XLD, which has the advantages of being both free and excellent.

Your laptop is *just fine* for initial storage. Don't sweat that unless you run out of disc space.

If you're curious about the difficulty, you can try it out this without a dac or any software other than iTunes. Rip a cd, plug your computer into your headphone amp, and give it a whirl. The sound you get will be nothing like *representative* of the sound you'll get with proper hardware and software -- it will be pretty lousy, in fact -- but the interface will be no more complex. I'd bet that you'll be listening to music within minutes.

Figuring out how to download stuff is actually *harder* than doing this. You've already stomped the learning curve. Don't let it worry you.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:25 am »
I am and have been an analog fan forever. However I have changed
to a headphone system and find that for the sake of convenience I
would like to add digital capability. A cheap and cheerful Cd player would
suit me fine. I have purchased a couple of used Marantz cd63's that sound
ok but they don't last, just to old. Budget up to $400, rather not go that high

For cd player you sould use a dvd player (plays cds)they are pretty cheap even from quality brands,for computer system any laptop would do, you can buy a used one for $100
The impact of digital on headphones is awesome

cheers :green:

mvwine

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2013, 05:11 pm »
I second the Onkyo C-7030. I have one as a transport feeding my Scott Nixon DAC, but even used as a stand alone player, it beats any cheap dvd player I have heard for music.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2013, 06:38 pm »
I second the Onkyo C-7030. I have one as a transport feeding my Scott Nixon DAC, but even used as a stand alone player, it beats any cheap dvd player I have heard for music.

That's my experience also.

Because a DVD has smaller pits than a CD (almost half in size), shorter distance between tracks than a CD (less than half the distance) and thinner substrate than a CD (half the thickness), A DVD player's shorter wavelength laser is not optimized for CDs.

Although there are methods to make it more compatible such as dual lasers or dual mechanically switched lenses (more expensive and certainly not found in inexpensive DVD players) or a single optic with holographic center (a kludge), that is why many CD players with the correct longer wavelength laser often sound better than many inexpensive DVD players and have better real time error correction.

Steve

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2013, 06:47 pm »
The original Playstation was supposed to be da bomb for cd playback. Seems I read an article in Sterophile about it. That was awhile ago...  Should be pretty cheap.. see them on the bay for 25 clams.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2013, 01:01 am »
The original Playstation was supposed to be da bomb for cd playback. Seems I read an article in Sterophile about it. That was awhile ago...  Should be pretty cheap.. see them on the bay for 25 clams.

Yes but digital out on it would be for... a very advanced user. It doesn't have anything built in to serve that purpose so it'd be a real trick and require making something for it.

That being said, if you can find one with good bearings, it has to be the SCPH-1001, and there are some minor mods to bring it up to par. (some people have re-greased the bearings, the grease is just really old)

I bought one that was bad once, so I don't know about the sound for sure. But the most common thing is to replace a few caps, bypass some crap, and give it a good power supply.

Bob2

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2013, 02:25 am »
Check out the July 2008 issue of Stereophile for an article on the Playstation for cd playback. The author was pretty happy with that if I remember correctly. I believe it was indeed the SPph-1001..
Worth checking out! Apparently some real magic happened inside that made it sound great...
Time to pick one of these up!

yeldarb

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2013, 04:22 am »
 I hooked up my Sony Playstation to my hifi once.  It played cds and sounded like techno without meaning to.  Sort of glarey and white.  Which is the way most CD players sounded when they first hit the market.  Which is why I bought a Denon 1500.  Still works at age 28 but the Onkyo blows it away.  Some DVD players have SPDIF output and make pretty decent transports.  I have hooked up a Toshiba to my dac and it works fine.  There are some mod threads on the web.  I was previously using an NEC cdrom freestander as my transport.  Sounded pretty well, but balked at playing quite a few discs, both new and compiled on my computer.  The Onkyo doesn't seem to care what you put in it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2013, 09:14 am »
My Sony XAES20 is still going after 12 years of on and off use.  Very heavy mechanisms and uses a puck.  Used cost is around $200.  I've been using it as a transport in recent years.

If it's convenient, ripping to your computer and buying a DAC, such as a passive $99 Schiit Modi (usb in/RCA out) doesn't get much cheaper/better.

Bob2

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2013, 11:51 am »
Found a link to the article I had referenced. http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play/index.html
I found it an interesting read back then. Considering what they go for and this IS Cheap and cheerful I'm just throwing it out there....YMMV.

"If it's convenient, ripping to your computer and buying a DAC, such as a passive $99 Schiit Modi (usb in/RCA out) doesn't get much cheaper/better."

Hard to argue with that ^!

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2013, 07:31 pm by Bob2 »

Bob2

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2013, 07:32 pm »
Found a link to the article I had referenced. http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play/index.html
I found it an interesting read back then. Considering what they go for and this IS Cheap and cheerful I'm just throwing it out there....YMMV.

"
If it's convenient, ripping to your computer and buying a DAC, such as a passive $99 Schiit Modi (usb in/RCA out) doesn't get much cheaper/better.
Hard to argue with that ^!

parr3n1

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2013, 09:14 pm »
That is the direction I have decided to go. Just curious, what are people listening to? mp3, mp4, I can't imagine replacing all my vinyl with this hidef stuff. Lots of $$ with no return if you want to sell. What would I get if I sold my 5000+albums? At least something. Just thinking out loud, wanting to know what the mindset is today? thanks

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2013, 09:55 pm »
Keep your albums but if you are looking for an inexpensive setup, the new generation of cheap dacs are very good.  I have an Odac USB DAC ($150)  and it sounds very good.  The Schiit Modi is also a good choice for $100.  You will need a computer, an extern hard drive and a copy of Jriver for $50.  There are other options but I'm liking jriver.  It's easy to use and sounds much better than iTunes with a PC.   If you have an apple computer there are some inexpensive options you can use. 

The jriver remote option is also very convenient.   I love accessing my entire cd library with my iPod or smart phone.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2013, 10:56 pm »
I, too do JRiver (after much research - the best sound [tied with many others, I suppose]) and the ODAC - downloaded into FLAC files. I have 5,000 songs in 150 GB. All backed up in two external HD's - about $70 each. I've had both internal and external crashes - well one was a virus.

Don't want to skip out a few bucks and lose all the work.

parr3n1

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm »
jackman,
Are you copying your cd's or downloading from the net? The MP3 stuff cost as much as I can
purchase a hard copy for. The hd stuff is 17 to 25.00, not sure if the sound is that much better.
Once I purchase the dac I will be able to tell. I did subscribe to jriver, and you are right, it is a
pleasure to use.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2013, 12:09 am »
I use Jriver to rip CDs from my collection and I get tons of CDs from the library and used cd store. I rip them all to my external HD lossless.  They sound great and the Odac plays them bitperfect. Where do you live?  You are welcome to come by and check things out. I'm in the Chicago area. 

Good luck

Jack