Matching Khartago+Etesian with Mission 780SE

jttlee

« on: 26 Jul 2004, 06:36 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of using Khartago+Etesian with Mission 780SE speakers?

My current system is very low-end, as follows:
CDP - Cambridge Audio D500SE
Integrated Amp - Cambridge Audio A500 (65Wpc into 8 ohms)
Speaker - Mission 780SE (Sensitivity: 87db Impedence: 8 ohms, min 5.6ohms)
Cables - Mogami 2534 interconnect, Monitor LS600 biwire copper speaker cables (2->4 config), Normal computer-type power cords come bundled with Cambridge Audio gears
Room - Around 12ft x 8ft, typical Hong Kong apartment without any acoustic treatment

Problems with current system are:
1.  Muffled sound when playing big orchestral works (e.g. symphonies)
2.  Restrained soundstage
3.  Limited dynamics
4.  Unclear focus

I'm not sure whether upgrading the amp is a good move.  Or even if it does, not sure whether Khartago+Etesian is too good for the other components.

I'm going to have an audition in the Hong Kong showroom later with my gears but would much appreciate if someone can share his experience.

Thanks!

Regards,
John

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2004, 04:27 pm »
Hi John,

I am the Odyssey Audio Singapore dealer. :)

I just finished enjoying a session with the khartago. Companion components are as follows:

Epos 14 speakers
Bryston BP20 preamp
Musical Fidelity 624 CDP
Mixture of Siltech, Groneberg and Kimber cables.

My entire Odyssey setup is at the showroom...wish I could bring them back home... :(

Anyway...Price-wise, none of the other components are cheaper than the Khartago. But honestly, this 'budget' amp is very much at home with them. I just finished the entire James Taylor 'Greatest Hits' CD. Man...I tell you, I really enjoyed the session. I forgot about listening to the system cos I was enjoying song after song after song...

IMHO, the khartago would probably bring your 780SE close to its optimum. I don't think the Etesian and Khartago would be 'too-good' for the other components. The khartago would simply bring the best out of them. And don't even think of comparing your CA amp with the khartago + Etesian. It's like comparing a Hyundai with an Alfa.

Well...the only down-side is...you might end up looking for better speakers. The Epiphonys would definitely be an option.

Oh....btw, just for kicks...I hooked up the Epiphony with a Mono pair last weekend. Obvious overkill... but boy oh boy oh boy...  :o

Alex

alex_odyssey_sg

Re: Matching Khartago+Etesian with Mission 780SE
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2004, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: jttlee
Hi All,

Cables - Normal computer-type power cords come bundled with Cambridge Audio gears

Oh....btw...get rid of your stock power cords and get some decent ones (hopefully gronebergs :D). That will lift your system to another level. Trust me on this...

Barry, maybe you can do a demo for John here. :)

Alex

jttlee

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2004, 02:35 am »
Quote from: alex_odyssey_sg
Hi All,

Cables - Normal computer-type power cords come bundled with Cambridge Audio gears

Oh....btw...get rid of your stock power cords and get some decent ones (hopefully gronebergs :D). That will lift your system to another level. Trust me on this...

Barry, maybe you can do a demo for John here. :)

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.  In fact, Barry has already demo'd the power of Stratos Mono+Tempest+Epiphony to me a couple of weeks ago.  Fantastic soundstage and accurate positioning.  The only downside is that it is too expensive for me.   :lol:

The demo system performs extremely well on classics and jazz.  It doesn't work quite well with pop though.  We played Pet Shop Boys Discography and the system lacked a bit of life and dynamics.

As for power cords, sure!  I will chat with Barry this Sat and ask for his advice how to best spend my limited budget.   :)

Regards,
John

alex_odyssey_sg

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2004, 03:00 am »
Hi Alex,

Fantastic soundstage and accurate positioning.  The only downside is that it is too expensive for me.   :lol:

It doesn't work quite well with pop though.  We played Pet Shop Boys Discography and the system lacked a bit of life and dynamics.

Yeap...I don't think you can get any better soundstage and imaging at this price.

Didn't work well with pop? I think that has more to do with the Epiphony than anything else. The system over here in sg doesn't handle pop well too, BUT on certain discs only. Well there is a reason. The recordings on pop cd are usually crappy, especially those made in outside US. Haha....this is a different topic altogether...

Anyway, the main reason is because Barry's system is pretty revealing, feed it a bad cd, you get crappy sound. Whereas a not-so-revealing system would sound the same regardless of good or bad disc. Unfortunately, that is one of pitfall of hifi as you get deeper (and more money) into it.

As for the limited budget, maybe you should upgrade in stages. But get the Khartago and Etesian first than think about speakers and CDP.

And ya...bring down your own stock power cord and do a A/B comparison with the groneberg. :)

Alex

jttlee

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:34 am »
Hi Alex,

I just brought my gears to Barry's showroom for an audition.  As it turns out, Etesian+Khartago is really a bit "too good" for my current system.

I'll post a more detailed post later when I have time for more typing.

Regards,
John

alex_odyssey_sg

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2004, 09:24 am »
John,

too good...hmmm...just goes to show how good Odyssey products are for the price!!

Anyway...you cannot go wrong with the khartago and etesian. Only advise I can give is...start saving!! :)

Alex

Lost81

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2004, 09:54 am »
FWIW, my experience with Mission Speakers (751, 752, 753, 754 Freedom) is that they need powerful amplifiers, and the volume turned up to really shine, or else they sound congested.

-Lost81

TjMV3

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:26 pm »
Alex,  is that the new James Taylor Greatest Hits....which is called " Best of James Taylor "  (2003). It has like 20 songs on it.

Or is that the older Greatest Hits ...with the white cover?

alex_odyssey_sg

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2004, 08:18 am »
Quote from: TjMV3
Alex,  is that the new James Taylor Greatest Hits....which is called " Best of James Taylor "  (2003). It has like 20 songs on it.

Or is that the older Greatest Hits ...with the white cover?

It's the older 'Greatest Hits' with the white cover. And that has been with me since the longest time. If you like James Taylor, do get the 'Best Live'. Another incredibly musical album... if you can, get the Japanese print.