Hey Y'all Got a 5gal Bucket?...Make A Sub!

rodge827

Hey Y'all Got a 5gal Bucket?...Make A Sub!
« on: 24 Aug 2013, 05:30 am »
This is a new creation from non other than Ed Schilling of The Hornshoppe.

There is a lot of positive buzz around this cheap sub project with big sound.

Plans here: http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Subwoofer.html

Ed's thread: http://thehornshoppeforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=rmd6f9e51cnovgme6b8t2i2hc6&topic=406.0

RAD NEK VERGON!

apollophono

Re: Hey Y'all Got a 5gal Bucket?...Make A Sub!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2013, 08:37 am »
Great catch Rodge827!  :thumb: Thanks for the info.  I absolutely love it when someone
uses common objects and makes something musical.  The Well Tempered
tonearm comes to mind.  Uses a golf ball and an arrow.   I know there has to
be other ideas out there like that and I have an idea to build a radial tracking
tonearm although I may never get around to building it. 

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2013, 02:05 pm »
Yeah I do agree!

I don't have a TT, but I have often wondered if one of these could make a good record cleaner?  :green:

These Ox Hair brushes are so fine you get a mirror finish with enamel paint.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm »
It's perfect for the garage or ice shanty (as long as no one sits on it).

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:26 am »
Could be the best seat in the house!  :eyebrows:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:10 am »
A gallon is 3.7 litres, so 5 gallons is around 19 litres. The driver models out around a f3 = 51 Hz in that enclosure.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just be realistic if you build one.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:44 am »
For a least 1/2 the guys out in audio world, there is this thing called the WAF.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:49 am »
A gallon is 3.7 litres, so 5 gallons is around 19 litres. The driver models out around a f3 = 51 Hz in that enclosure.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just be realistic if you build one.

This is what Tim Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound had to say on the subject:

Some additional technical and sonic information from Bruce Rozenblit:

"Real time analysis in a typical live listening room shows the Bucket Sub to be essentially flat from 25 Hz to 100Hz.  One Bucket Sub can produce that output up to about 106 dB then it starts running out of steam.  Two should be able to reach at least 109 dB.  That is a tremendous amount of low frequency energy that will cause dishes to rattle and the house to shake.  The sound is smooth, without being boomy or uneven.  Transients are quick and not the least bit mushy.  The relatively small and lightweight cone contributes to its speed.  The Bucket Sub greatly benefits from lots of current drive so a high power class D plate amp is essential.  Performance improves as current drive goes up.  Several hundred watts will get the job done.  Corner placement works well as it is up firing.

The way the thing works is by taking a speaker that was never intended for pure subwoofer operation and forcing it acoustically and electrically to perform as a super sub.  The massive current drive pushes it in a very linear fashion.  Since it is basically operating out of its intended range, it must be crossed over at low frequencies.  At frequencies above 200 Hz, the output will begin to rise relative to the bottom octaves.  For this reason, its use must be restricted to pure subwoofer operation.  A minimum 12 dB/octave low pass filter is required and 24 dB/octave will increase performance.

Properly adjusted, the Bucket Sub will blend seamlessly into a main speaker system.  It just disappears, except for the low end foundation that it provides.  This is ideal performance for a subwoofer.  This thing can be built for $75 in about one hour.  It is no doubt the greatest value in DIY audio available."

Naturally YMMV  :D 

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:53 am »
For a least 1/2 the guys out in audio world, there is this thing called the WAF.

Check these out...

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:19 pm »
Hi Rodge,

This is what Tim Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound had to say on the subject:

Tim? You mean Bruce?

Anyway, no graphs or measurements, no actual technical information and a pretty unusual claim: "forcing it acoustically and electrically to perform as a super sub".

Did you build one (or two)?

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm »
How about matching midrange (1 gallon paint can) and tweeter (coffee can) setup?  Get the whole garage/punk motif going.

Did anyone break the news to Wilson or VSA?

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm »
Yes Bruce  :duh:... was answering two PM's at the same time.

No haven't built one yet...just thought it was a neat little project to try and thought to bring it to AC.
Apparently there are many of Ed's disciples and Bruce who think the sub sounds good.
If someone wanted to try a multiple sub set up say 2-4 subs, the cost isn't all that prohibitive.

This is a cheap DIY project that Ed put out there for free.
Perhaps you could ask the same question over on the Hornshoppe Forum and report back your findings.  :D

As we all know sometimes things measure good and can sound bad, with the reverse to be true also.

How about matching midrange (1 gallon paint can) and tweeter (coffee can) setup?  Get the whole garage/punk motif going.

Did anyone break the news to Wilson or VSA?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm »
No haven't built one yet...just thought it was a neat little project to try and thought to bring it to AC.

Hey I think it looks like a fun project. I'm all for trying and experimenting and the concrete in the bucket really does seem like a great idea. But, the driver is what it is, so be realistic, that's all I'm saying....

:D

ohenry

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:04 pm »
...Anyway, no graphs or measurements...

"Real time analysis in a typical live listening room shows the Bucket Sub to be essentially flat from 25 Hz to 100Hz."

If one distrusts Bruce's description of his measurements, they'll also distrust his generated graphs.  A moot point it seems.  :)

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:15 pm »
"Real time analysis in a typical live listening room shows the Bucket Sub to be essentially flat from 25 Hz to 100Hz."

If one distrusts Bruce's description of his measurements, they'll also distrust his generated graphs.  A moot point it seems.  :)

Yes of course, you're absolutely right.

How could I have thought otherwise.

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2013, 06:46 pm »
Hey I think it looks like a fun project. I'm all for trying and experimenting and the concrete in the bucket really does seem like a great idea. But, the driver is what it is, so be realistic, that's all I'm saying....

:D

Agreed  :) at 8" the driver does have it's limits.

A couple, three or four could produce some real output in a small to medium size listening room, at way less a cost than a commercially produced sub.
I was thinking of putting a few of these together for the garage and covered outside deck. For the outside I have deck boxes that will keep them dry, and work out some way to easily hook them up to the anemic outdoor speakers that are out there.

Chris

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2013, 09:45 pm »
Hi Rodge827, thats about the coolest project I've ever seen! I'm a house painter and those 5 gallon buckets multiply in all my painting junk like the Tribbles on the first Star Trek tv show. For the past several years I have held onto a big piece of green PVC pipe left disguarded on the beach. It's about almost 3 feet high or long with a flanged end that I could house a 12 inch sub woofer on with a round wooden cut out circular base. Which do you think would be better, down firing or up firing like the 5 gallon bucket? The pipe is about 1/3 inch thick and weighs about 30 t0 40 pounds. With down firing I would use 6 inch wooden furniture legs and make a round wooden cap for the top with MDF 1 inch thick. I'll try to get some pictures but really wanted to know about down vs. up firing subs....Thanks ....Mark Korda

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:02 pm »
Mark, Now you're talking like SVS (cylindrical subs).

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2013, 12:29 am »
Hi Rodge827, thats about the coolest project I've ever seen! I'm a house painter and those 5 gallon buckets multiply in all my painting junk like the Tribbles on the first Star Trek tv show. For the past several years I have held onto a big piece of green PVC pipe left disguarded on the beach. It's about almost 3 feet high or long with a flanged end that I could house a 12 inch sub woofer on with a round wooden cut out circular base. Which do you think would be better, down firing or up firing like the 5 gallon bucket? The pipe is about 1/3 inch thick and weighs about 30 t0 40 pounds. With down firing I would use 6 inch wooden furniture legs and make a round wooden cap for the top with MDF 1 inch thick. I'll try to get some pictures but really wanted to know about down vs. up firing subs....Thanks ....Mark Korda

Hi Mark my decorating braddah.
I have so many 5 gal buckets, and I give them to my wallpaper clients.
Your pipe project could be a lot of fun.
I'm not sure of what driver you should use, but I think that down firing would work best.
Very much like the SVS Cylinder subs that JLM mentioned.
There is a lot of info out there on how to build one, or start a thread with your project thoughts.
Good luck, let us know how it sounds.  :D 

Chris

andy_c

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2013, 03:43 am »
Definitely a project for the bucket list!  :green: