Psychedelic Trip on the Musical Stairway to Heaven

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Psychedelic Trip on the Musical Stairway to Heaven
« on: 19 Aug 2013, 03:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Last weekend I was invited by our good friend Violetmachan to come to his place in the south of the UK, a nice place at the coast.

A few month ago he had the luck to get his hand on a very young and mint set of VR 9SE mkII upgraded with the CI sub woofer amps.
They are situated in a very nice living room treated very artificial done by him self as seen in my Gallery.

Violetmachan asked me to help him to get high on the Stairway to Heaven so I loaded my van with a lot of stuff to tune and tweak.
First we went to the shop to get some food and booze for a whole weekend cause this should take some time.
(a bit of booze is very use full to be the oil for the brain when listen to subtle differences in detail of the music)

Goal was to find the best combination of components and connection to have the music fluid, organic and full of realism.

I brought my analog gear and with a special Test sweep we installed the knobs on the back of the the VR 9 SE mk II to be flat.

Sound was bright and shrill, hurting our ears. First move was to replace the NBS black label XLR for a set of HT Magic link. Sound improved to a acceptable level. Next step was the Photon Amp XLR in between  the pre and the Tenor 350 amps.

Wow, the result was a spectacular improvement. Since I use the KR amplifiers for many years I suggested to use the RCA input instead of the XLR to be more quite and natural and so it was. Time to replace the source cable too (source EMM Meitner) and the Photon Link was connected. Again the music level went up and up. The VR 9 SE mk II started to sing now.  Hope Albert can send us a set of his Master Built Signature we had connected in San Fransisco to compare with the Photon Link.

Last week Peter Breuninger published Mike's review on the Double Kronzilla DXL.

http://www.avshowrooms.com/Kronzilla_DXL.html

Since Violetmachan owns a very special modified set of Tenor 350 I suggested to bring my KR amps to see if Mike's story is real.  8)

I warned him this could act like poison and so it did. Boy what a sound after all.

At that moment one of the neighbours hopped in and fall from his chair by the realism and musical level of the system.

Now we were at top level and enjoyed the music until deep, deep in the night while the bottle's level shrunk to very low level.

As a sound engineer I brought some of my recent recordings to see and hear the realism. Unbelievable and very goose bumpy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-pSFUJ5xGk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUguXI98dcWZ6FhNA-8DW0lw

Must say I never had this so intense before.

After a good sleep finally we started the next day 'fresh and clean'. Having a typical English breakfast at the Kitchen table the music entered trough a little window in between the living room and the kitchen as real music. This little window acted like a full range speaker. The music came through like very lifelike, so special.

Well Violetmachan has a lot to think about now, but I warned him. When I come it will be at your own risk.  :scratch:

After a load of CD's we agreed, this is the real music we wanted to hear.

To get fresh for the road we finished with a nice walk at the coast and I got to back in my car driving almost 800 km home again.

This was a very special weekend in the UK. Looking forward to be there again.

Thanks Violetmachan and your wife for the hospitality, food and drinks. :thumb:

All the best and enjoy the music.

Cor Dekker

Musical Reality

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2013, 12:53 am by ceedee »

Michael Hannig

• Industry Participant
Re: Psycedellic Trip on the Musical Stairway to Heaven
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:28 pm »
Wow ceedee, this is one of the most exciting reports I have ever enjoyed to read.

One can feel how enthusiastic you both must have been when tuning the system step-by-step with the right tools.

Well done and thank you very much for sharing.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2013, 11:53 pm »
So Cor, did the KRs trounce the Tenor amps?  If so, violetmachen must be ready to slit his wrists?  :duh: :lol:

violetmachan

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:19 am »
Hi Cor

My sincere apologies for my late reply to your wonderful write up...." Psychedellic Trip on the stairway to heaven"

.........work always takes the micky out of me during the week......well, have to pay for all my madness!!....ie Happiness

Hope you enjoyed your friday, saturday and sunday in wonderful english country!!......we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend  with a great mix of friends, italians and countrymen ie englishmen.......but never forgetting the dutchman, aka cor, ceedee or to be real and bombastic! Mr Cornelious Dekker. Sound engineer, acoustician and the european magicman for von schweikert audio.......and most of all a very natural, friendly and wonderful human being......you  are welcome to my home any time.

I have never met an man who tunes a 100% buy ear and the prediction/outcome was a 100% again on complex time consuming electronic and sonic testing of my living space........which I must say.......takes you down to goosebump alley whenever you play!!........all that subtle tuning hidden behind silk and paintings are all mine......eeeh ha!......hopefully artfull!

thanks for all your sincere help and effort cor , the outcome was pure music in capitals!! and the  weekend was in candycrush terms " divine"............/  .

A lot of time and effort was put in to try various test sets with the following combos

1. speaker cables biwire format with vsa  masterbuilt signatures  with topend harmonic tech 4 seperate runs of cables as a true biwire format and the now defunct nbs blacklabel

2. various IC`s  as xlrs and single ended.....ie Harmonic technology's top of the line cables  the photon links -sounds mighty impressive

3. testing the Kronzilla DX monoblocks........comparing to !!

4.eera  cd player.......comparing to !!!

common test items the room and von schweikert audio vr 9se mark 2 with latest ci-amps and the tenor preamps .

yet to test are the use of vsa mb signature IC`s ( when available) and the vsa mb- Ultras......prices are not out as let ..but could be out of this test! league

There is a lot of collective information which I hopefully can put together over the coming weeks and I am hope cor would input his thoughts.......and we`ll put together the propagation of the wall of sound in an active living space!!

cheers for now

sam: aka activeviolet
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2014, 11:32 pm by violetmachan »

Delacroix

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2013, 03:33 am »
Wow, great pictures, wonderful equipment, a beautiful location, and most importantly, so many happy faces! Thanks Cor and Sam for sharing this story and montage. Wish I could have been there!

Holli82

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:12 am »

There are a lot of collective information which I hopefully can put together over the coming days and I am sure cor would put his thoughts.......and we`ll put together the propagation of the wall of sound in an active living space!!

Wonderful photos and narrative.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts over the next few days.

Rodney

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:19 am »

:o Amazing setup and room  :thumb:

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Psychedelic Trip on the Musical Stairway to Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:36 am »
I am very impressed with the dedication shown by our customer, Violetmechan and our European Distributor Mr. Cor Dekker, to achieve "sonic nirvana."  I certainly wish I could have been there, tweaking away and enjoying the camaraderie and the fine wine!

Albert

violetmachan

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2013, 11:31 pm »

Before the memory fades ….I decided to update  Cor`s English weekend by the sea… “psychedellic  musical stairway to heaven” and just hoping  the song remains the same!!!…..and at the end of it all…. could we find what we are looking for!!

These are observations made while listening to the kronzilla DXL monoblocks in my set up during an extended  6 hour plus late night listening  with Cor dekker, my friend and neighbour ….a very astute,critical and cynical englishman with mild tinnitus but very sharp and finicky about music and its presentation and not afraid to speak his mind………and last but not least ….active violet….ie. me

Test temp:  Hot August night!!

Test enhancers: Lots of 18plus ….single malt and lovely wine from southafrica

Mood elevators:
Unavailable……hope to have had  cuban cigars and some mystical afgan magic… and some dancing ladies.......just kidding!.
well,well, well….what was available was ….MUSIC…….pure music and plenty of it

Test Setup as follows

Amps: kronzilla DXL monoblocks and tenor 350m HP monoblocks

Preamp: tenor preamp1

Source: emmlabs xds1

Speakers : Von schweikert Audio Vr 9se mark 2 with CI amps

Cables

Speakers cables: VSA Signature masterbuilt biwires/harmonic tech reference biwires( 4  separate runs)

IC`s: Harmonic Tect: photonlink . single ended .between power and preamp and xlr`s from source to  preamp

Power cables. Jena power1,2/kubala-sosna emotion for monoblocks and preamps

Test location:
my living space. Tested and ratified by sound engineer of musical reality Cor Dekker…..as an ideal living space and excellent  sound chamber for uniform propogation of sound/music…….…ie “ goose bump alley”

Test setting/sound levels…….18 on  tenor preamps /SPL  around 60db …….this is usually my latenight realistic listening volume and not the level 24!

TestCd`s: most were cor`s  own recording and some of mine……standard cd none enchanced, no HDCD or SACD or any special fomats used…..enclosed pics

Part 2 with the nitty gritty and the outcome  to follow shortly .......and for the cable shootout…..delays.....still waiting for albert and MB cables for the signatures and the ultra extremes

violetmachan

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2013, 01:41 am »
PART TWO

Test set up:  as above with the kronzilla DM monoblocks instead of the tenor 350mHP power amps (which  was extensively used over the weekend)

Listening Volume/SPL level: 18 to 20 on tenor preamp dial ie 55 to 65 db spl level

Warmup time: about an hour for the kronzilla monoblocks

PHOTO BREAK!

Before you can see clearly!

Duration of test/listening:   7 to 8 hours

Source format : CD player

Cd collection played ( listed as above):  Note all were normal ordinary recording. No high resolution recordings/HDCD/SACD or SHM SACD formats were used.  some were mine, most were cor`s and one was a special request of my neighbour david…” jean micheal jarre .Live”!

Note: Small!! bias in played recorded music : Certain genres of music not tested i.e rock music ,reggae,punk, dance/club/rave music,  large orchestral music and large classical pieces…..this would have been very helpful…….but lost track of time!! …while listening to music

I am going to enumerate the artist , the album and the songs played and give you a little synopsis of …..if the recorded music  and the reproduced sound, sound like music to the three of us rather than give you a detailed hyperbolic expression of detail, resolution, tonality, orientation, treble, midrange and bass  response.

I only wish I had the time to make  electronic/digital links  to all music played so you could have enjoyed the music too

First album played

Abdulla Ibrahim Trio “ African Blues”……I have been to many of his live indoor concerts

1.Blue bolero…..simple clean piano playing and  sounding  very real , smooth inviting you to  a long evening of music listening….we were all nice and comfortable and relaxed after good food ,excellent wine and plenty of after diner single malt…..cor`s  choice

2.Dristrict Six……..excellent bass player belden bullock….coming through as clean and fast with no hint of distortion and keepin a tight grip on the music, especially with the next tract “ joan-capetown flower”

4. Thaba Bhosigo. Rhythmic bass and piano playing .very heart  warming…..hope you`ll  are beginning to catch the mood

5 & 6. “ The Mountain “ and “ For Coltrane…..These two tracks serve as a mood cleaner……making you ready for any type of music to come…..did the setup make that happen….sure it did

Moving to the second album…..

Abdullah Ibrahim & ekaya. : “Sotho Blue”

This  can be an assault on the midrange and the upper bass notes …in where the heart  of music lies
Large assemble of saxophones  ( cleave guyton on alto sax & flute, keith  loftis on tenor sax,  andrae Murchison on trombone, Jason marshall on baritone sax)

Tracks played

Sotho blue, the  mountain, joan cape-town flower and wedding…..the last has the full assembly of saxophone and trombone and flute

The music comes through so strong and powerfully and atimes may sound harsh but no distortion…….as its meant to be…..cor did mention that!......very real and goose bumpy

Moving to the third album  for orchestral and Brass Bands

Glen Miller Orchestra “ In the digital mood”

1.   “In the Mood” .  Very realistic presentation close to toe tapping……this song , I have heard live at the Edinburgh festival played by a military brass band…makes you want to get up and dance………its  like a whirlpool slowly dragging you in to the finale which is stunning and will leave you happy and very satisfied!....".strangely that this  did not happen"........probably needed a little more speed and bass slam from the kronzilla…......this was immediately picked up  by my neighbour david!!!.
well it may not  have happened if we had our listening volume much higher @ 70 or 75 db..but!!

2.Two other songs played were “ Chattanooga Choo-Choo “ and  “ The American Patrol” …the  combo handled the melodious variation in music very well

Moving the genre  to fusion/classical jazz to one of my old favourites….seen them live once and this album is one of their newer release

Oregon “ In Stride”

Songs played

"As she sleeps".........Paul McCandles on the Horns and Ralph Towner on Classical Guitar
This is a really haunting and soul stirring piece of music and the setup captures  the ambience   sooo! beautifully

"In stride".......here the band come together so nicely.....excellent recording of classical fusion jazz.....does the setup/combo perform!......this will take you along the stairway to heaven.....to attain sonic nirvana.......right down to goosebump alley!!!!!

Moving the tone to simple female vocals

Artist : The Staves….Album “Dead & Born & Grown

The Two Sisters have gorgeous voices in very close harmonic perfection

Songs played

1.Wisely& Slowly …..beautiful harmonising female vocals bought out effortlessly by the setup/combo…….will give you goosebumps for realism…..will want you to sing along!

This is true even with the other songs played ie.”Gone Tomorrow” and “Facing West”

PHOTO BREAK!
“How much of resolution do you need to see the magic”

Moving onto Acoustic Blues artist KeB- “MO”

Songs played

Every morning,
Tell everybody I know
Angelina

Very simple and bluesy with clean and crisp guitar notes…..come through  the combo with ease and the sound will keep you listening and listening......sad bit......you will be wanting more!

Moving onto Eva Cassidy- Live @ Blues Alley

This didgreido recording is not the best….the combo/setup did make the song very musical to listen to………Did the setup  smoothen the flaws and bring out the best of the recording…..well it was good to listen to, not because of just the songs……it did sound musical at most times

Moving on to the serious listening “ All of Cor Dekkers recording”

CD`s marked Vol 1 to 3 : mixed musical recording......in three CDs

I think it's his show test CDs ......this set will bring out any flaws in  any setup and room........
Surprise Surprise..........no nasties......did shock cor and us for the faithful reproduction of sound .....producing bucketloads of effortless MUSIC.

The synergy of the setup and the room makes the act of listening to music so relaxing!!

Followed by two CD's of Classical Recording( Cor has had youtube links for the same)

1.Helinanthus Piano Trio-
 Classical playing : Joseph Haydn- piano trio in C  and Sergei Rachmaninov- Trio elegiaque nr.1 in g

The Music is soul stirring eventhough its played by a very young Hungarian trio and the music transports you  effortlessly into the concert hall.
I personally would have preferred a little more scale and aggression with Rachmaninov….well might have been the trio`s representation

Johanes Piirto playing Beethoven- Pianosonate nr .31 in As, opus 110 ……..
and Chopin – Ballade nr.1 in g, opus 23

The tonality and realism recreated by the setup was simply haunting and  magical

PHOTOBREAK!

Realism and orientation

PHOTO BREAK!

“Perception of Depth “

Finally coming to the end of this long narrative... a memory recall comparison of "tube and tube like amps".

I have demo or lived with in past at home in my set up ( variables were the use of my previous speakers .i.e….Von Schweikert Audio Vr 7se Mark 2)

The Comparison

The Lamm Combo of M1.1 and preamp- 4 month extended home demo
An excellent combo with plenty of PRAT and fabulous resolution…….did find it a little aggressive at times and can cause fatigue with prolonged listening and do need to dial the spl level up to make it sound magical!.....note cabling and my  living room was not optimised at that time

The Dartzeel Combo 108/18n combo…this was an demo at home for a few weeks…..did have the best midrange I have ever heard at home……did nearly buy the combo……...but It could not drive the vr7se to its full potential especially in certain genre of music.

The Lamm ML1.2 and match preamp……Demo at home for a day ….again with the vr7semark two
The dealer sold a pair of vr7se with that demo  at home!....must say beautiful synergy with that combo and voice and midrange to die for……but a little lacking in the lower registers  at times

Now for the Kronzilla DX mono blocks…….does it draw you into the zone!!.....sure it does in duck loads....note this group of amps are not the standard broad gauge or meter gauge ......but a very special group special gauge

PHOTOBREAK!

with the kronzilla's the thing that strikes you at first is the ease at which it plays music with loads of headroom and realism to hang onto…..most of all makes you to keep on listening to music and more music……....
Here there is a little resemblance to the sound of the Dartzeel combo
.The only negative ......I am sure its a minuscule handicap which I presume you should have inferred buy now….....could be overcome by using 4 kronzilla DM monoblocks….ie two for each side.

Now coming to cor`s  test setup at home do not forgot part of that magic is the simply superb gatekeeper the “tenor preamp1”  which has allowed the Kronzilla`s mono blocks  to breathe  and the “Von Schweikert Audio Speakers vr 9se mark2 with the ci-amps “ which make the magic happen in a room which seems to propagates wonderfully sound all over the room...…must say you donot have to be IN THE ZONE SWEET SPOT any more…....that's one special magical speaker system albert! which helps fill the room with pure simple music.

Finally for the tenor 350mHP monoblocks( special issue 400plus watts) and its matched Tenor Preamp combo….Jim fairhead , I must say one sterling pre power combo!..its the very best I have ever owned .
I have no bias just because I own them.They are in a very special superleague of their  own…(Here I must mention the tenor preamps which is the real magic piece )…very  powerful ,very natural and real with magical speed and realism for all genre of music and one that keeps you”  listening for hours and hours without the strain of listening to music “ and suddenly you have lost track of time!!!....especially at my late evening listening volume of 18/55 to 60 spl level.

At the end of the first night listening session.....we forgot the passage of time....ie was 3.00 am well into the next day morning.......Strange none of us were tired or drunk......consumed 2 bottles of single malt!!....and
there was no concept of time .
"MUSIC"....we were happy to keep on going and on on the stairway to musical heaven

I must confess that I am a little lazy and a major automation  freak…….I like things to work with a touch of button and with the current set up I have at home …..one power sequence button brings music at all its glory

Hope I did not bore you`ll with this altered narrative!......thanks to all the kind words of appreciation

Finally for your question gavin ……The tenor combo are here to stay for me!!

PHOTOENDING

Wonderful Bolivian Sun……..I can see a new sun rising !

« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2014, 06:36 am by violetmachan »

Holli82

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:29 am »
Great post!

Love that Keb Mo CD....in fact playing right now.

I'm going to obtain some Abdullah Ibrahim music.  Looking forward to hearing something different.

violetmachan

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:02 am »
hello rodney
abdullah ibrahim.....is a stunning piano player.....he is from sasa land,ie south african....i do like his style better than the famous Keith.J!.... and if you like Keb mo...eric bibb is very accomplished
A little birdy told me ...your are in the same trade as me.....are you in new orleans for nov
cheers
activeviolet:
sam

Holli82

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:45 am »
Got my order into Amazon last nite.  Can't wait to listen to these CD's.

Not going to the AAO but will be at the Retina pre-meeting Fri/Sat.  Let me know if you be around then.

Rodney

violetmachan

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2013, 08:48 pm »
Rodney

Abdullah  Ibrahim will not disappoint you....Oregon is my old faithful from the last century....eric Bibb I recommend  if you like keb mo........enjoy your new order

New orleans, I will be in to msy by late evening 14 .....did retina in Chicago last time around......may land up doing glaucoma subspeciality day....hope to meet if possible.

New Orleans is a good place to slam some hurricanes and listen to some seedy blues and smoke some cheap Cubans .......will be around till late 19......if you do have time to spare ......will be good to meet......let me know

activeviolet
Sam

BigSwede

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2013, 09:35 pm »

1.   “In the Mood” .  Very realistic presentation close to toe tapping……this song , I have heard live at the Edinburgh festival played by a military brass band…makes you want to get up and dance………its  like a whirlpool slowly dragging you in to the finale which is stunning and will leave you happy and very satisfied!....".strangely that this  did not happen"........probably needed a little more speed and bass slam from the kronzilla…......this was immediately picked up  buy my neighbour david.well it may not  have happened if we had our listening volume much higher @ 70 or 75 db..but!!

2.Two other songs played were “ Chattanooga Choo-Choo “ and  “ The American Patrol” …the  combo handled the melodious variation in music very well

This caught my eye, as in another life I used "In a Digital Mood" to demo stereo equipment for customers back in, oh, 1985 or so...the early days of CD. It was one of the best sounding CDs available back then, but I would be surprised if the state-of-the-art has not advanced since. Has it been remastered since then?  Just curious.

violetmachan

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm »

1985!.....you are nearly there bigswede. Its a GRP digital master released in CD format in 1986 ( I think grp was a dave grusin and larry rosen production).I sure there must be a new high resolution/shm sacd re-release of the same.If you known of any let me know
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013, 09:21 am by violetmachan »

violetmachan

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:52 am »
BigSwede
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/shmsacd_shmcd.html?current=44&step=44&id=5
a link to cdjapan for a Shm -cd release "in the digital mood"
I did place an order for the same