TUBE ROLLING FUN

Alex Kitic

TUBE ROLLING FUN
« on: 16 Aug 2013, 08:01 am »
I guess most  tube-o-philes have done some tube rolling,  but that was either try and guess, or just trying a different make of the same type.

I propose to you my RH Universal amp (DIY) as an advanced,  if not "the" tube rolling platform. Besides standing out with a sound recognized as excellent by many DIY-ers, this design lets you have more fun than you would expect.

Please check out my blog and share your ideas and experiences. I do not know if there are enough DIY-ers in this forum - but I guess those lacking the necessary skills or time to build their own amps can always ask some experienced DIY guys nearby for help.

rh-amplifiers.blogspot.com

Regards,
Alex

Octadyn

Re: TUBE ROLLING FUN
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:10 am »
Hi Alex
I don't have an  DIY amp but I do have an Octave V110. I agree tube rolling is fun and very interesting. Even with some of the more expensive tubes it's great that you can change the sound without buying a new integrated - amp - pre or cables. As far as tube rolling you can make an inexpensive tube like the TS KT120's and Gold Lion re-issue KT88 sound pretty damn good. Just have to get the right combo of input and driver/inverter tubes.  With even the more expensive vintage output tubes like the TS 6550 solid black or grey plates or EAT KT88 Diamonds it gets even better. But in this hobby I'm sure you know you hit a point of diminishing returns. EAT KT88's if you like super detailed - very linear and fast sound. Original TS solid bp or gp if you like a musical toe tapping music (my personal favorite w/ the bp having the edge). The big problem is you really can't ask anyone their opinion unless you have the same electronics. Topology plays a huge roll. Then you have personal taste.

Gotta love this hobby LOL  :lol:

Best
George

Audioexcels

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:21 pm »
I guess most  tube-o-philes have done some tube rolling,  but that was either try and guess, or just trying a different make of the same type.

I can hear every single tube difference as if I am replacing my speakers with a different pair of speakers.  This said, I know there is a ton of junk out there that is not so revealing enough to hear it to the extent that I am able to.

I could not get your link to the blog to work.  (error when I pasted in the url)

rbwalt

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2013, 06:34 pm »
 i am not a great fan of tube rolling but that does not say that i have not done it in the past. it gets expensive as we all know and the constant taking out of tubes and putting new ones in does not do tube sockets a world of good. now i have found that it takes at least  50 hrs min for tubes to settle in and more in most cases. i see allot of guys are into the KT88's and 120's. this tube works well in a BBC type speaker because they tend to have hole in the middle. the 88's and 120's are truncated in the bottom end and high end and have a push in the mids.

now i have ordered 8 matched JJ E34L's from music reference/ ram labs for my RM9SE amp. the amp has nos Siemens EL34's in it now. the change was suggested to me by bobby at Merlin music. that tube is used the new ARS-Sonum amp. bob knows my system well so we will see how this tube rolling experiment goes. a few hundred hrs show tell the story. so stay tuned.

have fun guys and lets get more feedback on tube rolling.