Finally built a 2nd PC

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Finally built a 2nd PC
« on: 25 Jul 2004, 01:26 am »
Fate gave me the chance to build a new PC for a bit less money than would normally be possible. I got a 2.8 Gig Pentium 4 (Northwood), Intel 865 board, 512 MB of very low CAS latency DDR PC 3200, 1 x 120 GB Seagate Barracuda, 1 x Maxtor 120 GB, Pioneer DVD burner, Memorex CD-R burner, Zalman Quiet CPU cooler/fan & one 120 mm case fan, all in an Antec 3700 BQE. I've got a KVM to hook up my "old" PC & my new one together. My older one is set up as my internet & messing around PC while the new one is set up as a serious burning machine (and it's not connected to the internet at all!  ).

I conidered a cheapie Mac for internet, but it woulda cost too much to upgrade my current old PC (a 2.7  Celeron on a not-really-advanced MoBo) into a serious gaming & burning rig, plus buying the mac. And the software I need isn't available for the Mac to use it as my Big Rig. Besides, I simply can't afford a "serious" mac.

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 02:13 am »
FYI, I just upgraded my power supply from the antec true 480 (having problems with intermittent reboots) to the PC Power Cooling Turbo cool 510 deluxe ($219, yes expensive), wow!  we just had small power blip and the computer didnt shut down. Its running alot more stabler now and no more reboots.

If you ever need a new power supply for the big rig, look into the Turbo-cool 510, this thing rocks (and has a 5 year warrantee!).

Carlman

Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 03:04 am »
Cool!!! Congrats! So you've been busy....

Doing some crazy impulse buying? ... Best Buy card melting?  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2004, 03:48 am »
Naw, I bought a few spare parts off my (perpetually broke) brother.  Very good condition, too.  I traded some stuff & bought him some stuff he couldn't afford for some parts I wanted.  And I sold some stuff I didn't need on Ebay.  I actually did well enough to buy the Proc, mobo, drives, etc and your modded Pioneer with the money in my PayPal account.  :beer:

Carlman

Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2004, 03:53 am »
I wish I had a broke brother...  Sounds like a great setup... and I am officially quite envious.

BTW, I think you'll like the Pioneer.  I gave it one more listen to Norah's latest album before I boxed it up and it was so sweet.

The L&R surround outputs use a better DAC than the Audio outs.  If you decide to use it as a player, be sure to use the surround outs.

It dug deeper for detail than any transport I've had or demo'd... and I love the Pioneer's build quality.

Ooops.. sorry to get OT...  back to PC talk...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:09 am »
Well, in a convergence of audio & PC...I don't yet have a soundcard beyond the ho-hum sound from the mobo.  Any advice?  I don't really know which soundcards are considered the best.  I should start a separate thread to solicite opinions...As much $ as I blew this week, I'm hoping there's a cheap card that will be *okay*.  I don't need super hifi (yet), just good enough to monitor my CD-Rs and listen to tunes while I surf.

Carlman

Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:18 am »
Here's 2 I'd consider:
EMU 1212m or the new 0404

The only issue I see with these is if you want to use the analog outputs, you'll need to convert it to RCA connectors somehow to connect it to your preamp.

I don't know if there's any SQ difference in these 2 cards... but I'd guess the 1212m is a little tiny bit better based on the specs.

I haven't heard either but, the 1212m was my first choice... but I'd consider the 0404 now.

-C

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:27 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
while the new one is set up as a serious burning machine (and it's not connected to the internet at all! ).

Rob....Encyclopedia Metallicus >>> Volume II ??

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Finally built a 2nd PC
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:29 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: Rob Babcock
while the new one is set up as a serious burning machine (and it's not connected to the internet at all! ).

Rob....Encyclopedia Metallicus >>> Volume II ??

Oh yeah!  :rock:   I'm in the initial planning stages now!