DIY Golf Grips

MaxCast

DIY Golf Grips
« on: 14 Aug 2013, 01:27 am »
Anyone ever re-grip your own clubs?
I have an old set of Lynx Black Cats with graphite shaft that I want to re-grip.
Watched a video and doesn't look that hard.

Any recommendations on grips?  My previous set I had regripped with a golf pride full cord.  These provided plenty of grip but wanted to know if I should be looking at any others.

rodge827

Re: DIY Golf Grips
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:33 am »
I have never tried to do my own grips,  but I have a few friends who do and they say it is easy.
The thing is to have all of the right equipment vice, tape, shaft adapter for vice, etc...
Also there is a trick to removing a grip on a graphite shaft. If you "nick" or cut into the shaft you can do some serious damage.
Dick's will hit you up for about $3 per club, and my guy charges me $2 a club.

I like the MTX4 Tour in Black.

I'm demoing the Boccieri Secret Grip is on my 7 iron.
Go to the Bocceri site and fill out the info for a free grip on your Driver or 7 Iron.
Love the grip, but they are $19.99 installed at Dick's and doing 12 more is a big expense.

http://boccierigolf.com/secret-grip/

Tweaking with golf equipment is very much like audio gear...it can drive you nuts!  :jester:

Chris

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:47 am »
Hmm.  How is MTx4 compared to the usual Golf Pride Tour Velvet?  I tried many including full cord and multi-compound but always seem to come back to garden variety Tour Velvet as a nice balance between feel and shock absorption.  I am also dismayed how some other companies "regular size" seems much thinner than Golf Pride Tour Velvet "Regular", especially at the butt end. 

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2013, 03:34 am »
The MTX4 is rubber and has a unique pattern design on the grip.
Hard to explain but it doesn't have the feel of Velvet grips, is a little heavier, and thicker than other grips.
My friend/golf pro mentor noticed I changed grips a couple of years ago, he picked one up and immediately said "nice grip", hit a few on the range and asked "where can I get these?"
I measure out at +1/32  to standard grip size, these fit fine and allow for extra tape build up where you want it.
I like a couple of extra wraps under my right fingers...helps with control of the club head.
Since I started doing that I no longer need to carry a compass to get out of the forest...still need the mask and snorkel...  :duh:

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:22 am »
I've built and gripped hundreds of clubs.

My favorite is the Lamkin Crosslines.

If you have graphite shafts, you need to use a hooked razor blade to cut off
the old grips.

It helps to have bench vise and a shaft clamp.

Have fun.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:28 am »
Re-gripping is a piece of cake ... plenty of tutorials out there for DIY. 

As for what grips to use, I absolutely love my Iomic X-Evolutions.  I seriously don't think they'll ever wear out, my current ones have 3 seasons on them.  And when they get less grippy, just a soap and water wash with the scratchy side of a kitchen sponge, and they're like new. 

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2013, 06:56 am »
Re-gripping is a piece of cake ... plenty of tutorials out there for DIY. 

As for what grips to use, I absolutely love my Iomic X-Evolutions.  I seriously don't think they'll ever wear out, my current ones have 3 seasons on them.  And when they get less grippy, just a soap and water wash with the scratchy side of a kitchen sponge, and they're like new.

All grips wear out.

If you only play 4 or 6 months a year, and your clubs are in cold storage the rest of the year, yes, they'll last longer.

If you in live in warmer area and play year round, you should regrip at least once per year and don't leave
your clubs in the trunk of your car.

BTW, the longer you wait to regrip, the harder it is to remove the old grips and tape.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2013, 10:46 am »
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Yes, a lot like audio.  Four replies and 3 different recommendations  :D
At lease we're not talking .9999999 fine rubber for $159 per inch.

I guess I owe it to a little local golf shop and see what they have and price installed.  I figured it would have been more.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm »
I've used Golf Pride Half-cords for years. With our dampish weather they give a good balance of feel & grip. Nice thing here in the NW is you can often play year round, if you don't mind layering up in winter & spring. 'Nuther tip on re-gripping, if you have access to a compressor & some air tools, stick the blow-off wand in the grip hole at the end & give it a shot. This will generally lift the grip off the old tape making it much easier to slice & remove, sometimes slicing is not even necessary. Hit 'em straight.  :thumb:

Audioclyde

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2013, 02:16 pm »
I've never been a fan of cords (I can live with half-cords and find them beneficial for wet weather play).  I've really come to like the Winn Dri-Tec grips.  They may wear a bit faster than others, but I really like the feel.

Of course, much like audio, it's definitely a matter of personal preference re grips.

Best,

Randy

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:51 pm »
For the extra $3-5 per club a golf shop charges I would let them do it for me. Unless of course I am regripping the whole set and get discounted materials for buying in pseudo-bulk.

The hardest part is lining up grips that have finger/hand markers on them for alignment. Not an issue if you use grips without any tell-tale colors or material scheme for hand placement.

dougme57

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2013, 06:25 pm »
I regripped mine for the first time this year. Saved me some money and it was no problem. I do have a vice and that is probably a must. I have used Winn Grips copper plus size for years. I was nervous at first but purchased the kit from www.monarchgolf.com and it went fine.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2013, 09:49 pm »
I have done my own set once, and will again at the end of this season.  I do all 12-14 clubs every 2 seasons.

I bought 36 b stock grips off Golfsmith during a clearout a couple of years ago, and the requisite tools.

I do also own an air compressor, and lots of guys out there using that method vs the tape and liquid way I have done mine.

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2013, 03:06 am »

I do also own an air compressor, and lots of guys out there using that method vs the tape and liquid way I have done mine.

Anyone have used the Pure Grips?  They are designed to be regripped without tape or solvents, using their compressor installation gun, which would make things much faster.  I have heard some positive comments about the quality of Pure Grips also, but no local store seems to carry them, and one needs to buy an air compressor..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbqHPBzP-g

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2013, 04:27 am »
Jon L,

I like the idea of the Pure Grips and you can get a complete kit, 12 grips and grip gun, for around $90.00+sh&tax at Golfsmith, depending on your grip choice.
I have no idea what size compressor is needed, but the one in the video didn't look too sophisticated. Not bad if you plan on regripping a lot.
I mentioned above that I got a free Boccieri  Secret Grip from a promotion on their site.
The grip is on my 7 iron and has a 17g weight in the butt end. I really like it! I'm getting about 7+ yards and able to work the ball better.
I did a search on how to back weight a golf club and found this product http://tourlockpro.com/.
If inclined you could back weight your own clubs and grips of choice, and reuse the weights when the grips wear out.
Very economical and a tweakers delight!  :D

First audio now golf?...it never ends!  :jester: :shake: :banghead:

jhm731

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2013, 07:10 am »
Unless you're trying to reuse the old grips, using an air compressor to remove it is meaningless, and there are other tools to do the same job.

The key here ladies, is find a grip that feels good to you, and make sure they're installed properly,