X-MTM Question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
X-MTM Question
« on: 10 Aug 2013, 06:00 pm »
Now that I have finished the X-LS & X-CS Encores I'm looking ahead to my next project, a matching pair of X-MTM Encores so I will have a complete 5 speaker system. Though to be candid the X-LS Encores sound way too good to be relegated to surround duties.

Anyway, to the MTM question. The plans say to add a wide profile base. What constitutes a wide profile base? How much longer and wider than the speaker cabinet does the base need to be for stability? Also, how thick does the base need to be, 3/4" like the cabinets or should it be thicker?

Mike

lacro

Re: X-MTM Question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2013, 07:30 pm »
Now that I have finished the X-LS & X-CS Encores I'm looking ahead to my next project, a matching pair of X-MTM Encores so I will have a complete 5 speaker system. Though to be candid the X-LS Encores sound way too good to be relegated to surround duties.

Anyway, to the MTM question. The plans say to add a wide profile base. What constitutes a wide profile base? How much longer and wider than the speaker cabinet does the base need to be for stability? Also, how thick does the base need to be, 3/4" like the cabinets or should it be thicker?

Mike

Or you could build a pair of X-LS non Encores to use for the rears, and build stands for  the rears and leave the Souped up Encores as mains maybe on another pair of sand filled stands. Then you could concentrate on a nice sub to finish out your system.

BTW/how are currently using the X-CS Encore, just for movies or music too? Does it blend well with the X-LS Encores?

Larry

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2013, 08:06 pm »
The wider the better within reason. I like to make them in the 14" range each way. That makes them good and stable. And if you can find some thicker 1.25" or so MDF that helps as well. It will leave a little meat there for the Brass inserts to be pounded into. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2013, 09:16 pm »
Larry,

Since I'm breaking them all in I am currently running the LS's and the CS in a 3.1 channel enhanced stereo mode for music and 5.1 surround sound for movies.  The CS blends very well with the LS's for both movies and music. I would describe the sound as being smooth, rich and full.  Much more so than when I first hooked them up, about 30 hours of playing time ago. At first they were a little bright but are settling in nicely, especially for low powered (quiet) music listening.  I'll post more on my impressions of the sound over in the X-LS / X-CS build thread after I get about 100 hours on them, probably next weekend.

Danny,

Thanks. 14" would make the base 5-1/2" wider than the speaker. Should the depth of the base also be 5-1/2" deeper than the speaker? the speaker is 16-1/2" deep. This would make the base 14" x 22". Would that work or would the base be too long at 22"?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2013, 09:52 pm »
Thanks. 14" would make the base 5-1/2" wider than the speaker. Should the depth of the base also be 5-1/2" deeper than the speaker? the speaker is 16-1/2" deep. This would make the base 14" x 22". Would that work or would the base be too long at 22"?

You can just make the base about an inch longer on the front and the back and it will be fine.