Why is Brian Wilson so admired to this day?

rockadanny

Why is Brian Wilson so admired to this day?
« on: 9 Aug 2013, 04:23 pm »
Growing up in the 60's, I liked the Beach Boys. I thought they were slightly better than many other groups since they could sing so well. But I never understood the great admiration for Brian Wilson. Even to this day he is fawned over. Why? Did I miss something which was greater than I perceived back then? And what has he done since which deserves such high praise? I am not dissing him or his admirers. I just don't get it. Please explain what it is I missed/am missing.  I am open-minded enough to try to understand.

sts9fan

Re: Why is Brian Wilson so admired to this day?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2013, 04:41 pm »
While their heyday was WAY before my time I think Pet Sounds is a revolutionary album that is a major player among the best psychedelic offerings of the time.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2013, 05:12 pm »
I feel much the same way about the Dead. I just do not "get it". (Q: "What does a Deadhead say when his acid wears off?" A: "Hey, this band SUCKS!")

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2013, 05:57 pm »
sts9fan - I've read that before about Pet Sounds. What attributes of it are "revolutionary"? Is it possible to explain?

dB Cooper - Me too. And also for me Sinatra, and some other icons as well. What prompted me to post about BW was that he is touring with Jeff Beck. So BW's praises are once again being touted in the press and on forums.

mitch stl

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:12 pm »
Pick an artist -- any artist -- and no matter how highly regarded by most, it is no surprise that some people don't care for or even actively dislike them.

That's been true since the beginning of mankind because it is just part of human nature. One doesn't have to read too far back in history to find that a lot of classical greats didn't have very nice things to say about one another. Brahms and Tchaikovsky are good examples of this.

It is also common for popular culture to confuse fame with talent, particularly when the typical listener doesn't know much about the musical history of the genre. I remember playing "Oye Como Va" by Tito Puente and a friend wanted to know who was "covering" Santana's song. They weren't sure if they wanted to believe me when I explained that Tito had written it years before Santana was popular.

We like the artists we like. I try to keep an open mind to artists and genres for which I don't have a good appreciation, but ultimately there are a lot of artists and bands that I simply don't care for no matter what others think. And that's OK.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:17 pm »
Some people love Classical music; others love RAP.  :duh:

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:40 pm »
sts9fan - I've read that before about Pet Sounds. What attributes of it are "revolutionary"? Is it possible to explain?

dB Cooper - Me too. And also for me Sinatra, and some other icons as well. What prompted me to post about BW was that he is touring with Jeff Beck. So BW's praises are once again being touted in the press and on forums.

I'd suggest getting hold of the documentary 'I Just wasn't made for these Times' if you can, it explains a lot about why Brian Wilson is Brian Wilson. Pet Sounds was revolutionary because of the extremely complex recording process. Bear in mind that the BEach Boys, like the Beatles, were touring bands like any other band at the time. Records were not considered an art form by themselves. Brian Wilson, like the Beatles, stopped touring and focused on the production process. Making a record that was an artistis accomplishment in of itself. Pet sounds has an array of instruments and orchestration that was unheard of at the time for a pop album. He basically combined the best of Phil Spector (his idol) and the Beatles (who were in turn inspired by him) and then added his own amazing gift for composition and harmony.

Many of his 60s contemporaries including the Beatles, Crosby Still Nash, etc etc. were in awe of Brian's complex chords and harmonies. The genius is that you don't realize it, it sounds so seamless AND it's 'pop' music. When you break his work down into parts you go 'whoa'.

I didn't get for a long time when I was younger although I REALLY loved Good Vibrations, but didn't know why. The more you learn about Brian Wilson's skills as both composer and producer the more your mind gets blown.

Part of the admiration now is because despite depression and mental illness he began making music again in force as of the late 90s. And finally released a completed SMILE album which although a pale imitation of the original pieces is still pretty frickin amazing. So he also has a tearjerker of a comeback story.

I saw him live at UCLA a few years ago and it was trippy as heck. He is like part child, part automaton, part really happy guy that just wants everyone to get along. I mean how can anyone not love someone like that.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:43 pm »
What mitch stl and wushuliu wrote.  This thread is just like the recent one where somebody wrote that he just doesn't "get" Miles Davis and wanted someone to explain what was so great about the guy.  List all famous musicians, actors, etc and you'll find many people who just don't "get" what others see in any one person on the list.

North Star

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:46 pm »
What mitch stl wrote.  This thread is just like the recent one where somebody wrote that he just doesn't "get" Miles Davis and wanted someone to explain what was so great about the guy.  List all famous musicians, actors, etc and you'll find many people who just don't "get" what others see in any one person on the list.

Yup, that's about it.  :wink:

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:51 pm »
What mitch stl and wushuliu wrote.  This thread is just like the recent one where somebody wrote that he just doesn't "get" Miles Davis and wanted someone to explain what was so great about the guy.  List all famous musicians, actors, etc and you'll find many people who just don't "get" what others see in any one person on the list.

To be fair the OP unlike the Miles thread does not sound like he really knows anything about Brian Wilson whereas Tyson was fed up after trying to give Miles a lot of play time.

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2013, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for all of your replies.

wushuliu - thanks for the explanation. That is more along the lines of what I was looking for. Something tangible.

I will try to view the documentary you suggested. I will also see if I can get my hands on a copy of Pet Sounds. A friend lent it to me several years ago. I zipped through it on my laptop and headphones (was in a rush at the time) and did not find it anything special. I’ll see if I can get a copy and give it another spin, this time on my main system (far more revealing than my craptop with cans). Now that I think about it, I really should not judge any music on my craptop/cans. I am missing too much.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm »
I'd suggest getting hold of the documentary 'I Just wasn't made for these Times' if you can, it explains a lot about why Brian Wilson is Brian Wilson. Pet Sounds was revolutionary because of the extremely complex recording process. Bear in mind that the BEach Boys, like the Beatles, were touring bands like any other band at the time. Records were not considered an art form by themselves. Brian Wilson, like the Beatles, stopped touring and focused on the production process. Making a record that was an artistis accomplishment in of itself. Pet sounds has an array of instruments and orchestration that was unheard of at the time for a pop album. He basically combined the best of Phil Spector (his idol) and the Beatles (who were in turn inspired by him) and then added his own amazing gift for composition and harmony.

Many of his 60s contemporaries including the Beatles, Crosby Still Nash, etc etc. were in awe of Brian's complex chords and harmonies. The genius is that you don't realize it, it sounds so seamless AND it's 'pop' music. When you break his work down into parts you go 'whoa'.

I didn't get for a long time when I was younger although I REALLY loved Good Vibrations, but didn't know why. The more you learn about Brian Wilson's skills as both composer and producer the more your mind gets blown.

Part of the admiration now is because despite depression and mental illness he began making music again in force as of the late 90s. And finally released a completed SMILE album which although a pale imitation of the original pieces is still pretty frickin amazing. So he also has a tearjerker of a comeback story.

I saw him live at UCLA a few years ago and it was trippy as heck. He is like part child, part automaton, part really happy guy that just wants everyone to get along. I mean how can anyone not love someone like that.

Thanks - a great explanation!  I also like the OP had wondered the same thing for a long time re : BW. Time to check out the DOC + Pet Sounds album.

And PS - I much prefer this kind of answer vs the more common "horses for courses" argument that doesn't really enlighten.  "Whatever floats your boat" is the better lazy metaphor here.

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2013, 09:43 pm »
Happened to come across this documentary on youtube: Beautiful Dreamer, Brian Wilson and the Story of SMILE.

first quote: "Jesus, that ear. He should donate it to The Smithsonian." – Bob Dylan
(Fun fact: Brian Wilson is partially deaf and can only hear through one ear. )

http://youtu.be/sv2iTjYWma0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm »
Strange things happen in the USA I do not understand, this is one of them.
Another absurd is that Elvis is more famous than Roy Orbison a most excellent singer and composer.

mitch stl

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm »
When you listen to Pet Sounds, you also need to view it within the context of the time at which it was recorded. As noted in more detail above, it broke ground in a lot of ways. It's one thing for an artist to be good at his craft within the context of a style that is solidly in the mainstream and quite another to lead the way in manner that changes the direction others go.

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any fonder of the music, but it will at least allow you to respect the enthusiasm of others.

North Star

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2013, 12:03 am »
It is absolutely normal today to dislike Brian Wilson's music. ...I'm one of them.

Music is like paintings, or wines, women ....

And yesterday was, and today is; things can change sometimes between. ...But in this case here, for me it didn't.
So, I am 100% with the OP here. ...And I know a bunch about the Pet Shop Boys, ...Beach Boys. ;) ...They just don't flow my rocks.

In the interim I'm enjoying listening to Classical Music more and more and much much more. ...Jazz too, and Blues too.   

North Star

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2013, 12:13 am »
I'm going to add this here: It is often extremely difficult to understand at 100% what people are saying on audio forums, and all.

It is all in the mind of the readers! ...Communicating your intended message requires skill, patience, composure, composition, etc.
...Stuff that I'm working on every single day of my life. ...Same as for controlling my emotions, as a human being.

What is true Love? ...What is true Hatred? ...What is the proper civilized balance between good and bad?

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2013, 12:14 am »
North Star, could you check (and respond) to your PMs please... thank you...

North Star

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2013, 12:16 am »
North Star, could you check (and respond) to your PMs please... thank you...

Only when they have some intelligent content, thank you very such.

* You want me to change my avatar because it doesn't complied with the rules of your forum? ...Gimme a break please!

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2013, 12:24 am »
Strange things happen in the USA I do not understand, this is one of them.
Another absurd is that Elvis is more famous than Roy Orbison a most excellent singer and composer.

Well FRM part of that is because artists like Elvis and Brian Wilson are quentissentially American; there is an aspect to their music that I think resonates most with Americans. Not that others can't derive the same amount of pleasure, but I think just like many other artists in other countries their work has a particular impact to that culture.

I like Roy Orbison, but he can't sway those hips. Swaying hips can do a lot for a dude. Just sayin'!