5.1 HT System with Norh LeAmps - what PreAmp?

LightninBoy

« on: 12 Feb 2003, 03:57 am »
Didn't get a bite on this in the Cinema circle so I thought I condense my question and try again here ...

My goal is to get into HT seperates for around $2500. I'm thinking about putting togethor a 5.1 home theater system based on 5 norh LeAmps and the Outlaw 950 pre-amp. I'm leaning towards the Rocket line of speakers.

Questions:

Any thoughts on how the Outlaw 950/5*LeAmp combo will sound? Will it beat or match a high quality (Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo/etc) $2500 receiver?

Any thoughts on other preamps I should investigate (remember my budget - 2500)?

Other amp suggestions? FYI - I'm not keen on 7 channel monsters - but I really like the 3 channel format.

The Van Alstine QuadaStar 240/3 (120w*3) can squeeze into my budget with 2 LeAmps in the back. Anyone familiar with this amp?

Mr Barnes - Any 3 channel amps on the horizon??

Thanks for any info.
Lightnin'

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2003, 04:17 am »
The outlaw is a good choice.  Also, check around for used Acurus ACT-3's, they are very inexpensive, but I have one and am very happy with it.

For speakers, the nOrh 4.0 ceramic or marble package is the best HT speakers I've heard for cheap (haven't heard the rockets).  A good sub is a must as well.  I like VMPS, Adire, and SVS for high quality at a low price.

ZooDog

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2003, 04:18 am »
The LeAmps + the Outlaw Pre/Pro will probably beat any receiver period.  Plus having seperates gives you more flexibilty for future upgrades.  You might also want to look at the Rotel 1066, which I believe is priced similarly to the Outlaw.  I am not familiar with the Van Alstine amps at all.

Captain Humble

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2003, 07:01 am »
Tyson,
I keep eyeing the new ACI Titan subs but see little discussion on them here or at H/D.  Do you have any experience with them?

LightninBoy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2003, 07:59 pm »
Thanks for the comments folks!