Sound/bass resonance effects

charmerci

Sound/bass resonance effects
« on: 7 Aug 2013, 06:25 pm »
Here's my computer>receiver>speaker set up. (There's four speakers plus 10" sub- two partially visible.) Notice the crystal glass sculpture in the upper right.

As I frequently play loud-ish music, I would place that mouse flush against the back edge of the shelf and it would migrate (pictured) over a period of days and weeks though none of the other 3 objects on the top do.

However, it has recently stopped doing so - even with more deeper bass! -due to a "change" in my system - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118590.0
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2013, 06:00 am by charmerci »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Sound/bass resonance effects
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2013, 03:01 am »
There's a resonance in the system that has been removed by whatever electrical effect the lightning/power outage caused.  You don't have deeper bass, you have cleaner bass.  With the muddying resonance removed there's less interference so you hear the bass tones more clearly.  The side effect is that the resonance no longer excites the sympathetic modes in the furniture or the glassware, or both.  You may actually have less actual bass frequency extension if something broke.  My system sounds like it has more bass when I turn off the subwoofer because the sub actually flattens a room mode around 50-80hz.  Of course I could be wrong.   

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2013, 03:10 am »
There's a resonance in the system that has been removed by whatever electrical effect the lightning/power outage caused.  You don't have deeper bass, you have cleaner bass.  With the muddying resonance removed there's less interference so you hear the bass tones more clearly.  The side effect is that the resonance no longer excites the sympathetic modes in the furniture or the glassware, or both.  You may actually have less actual bass frequency extension if something broke.  My system sounds like it has more bass when I turn off the subwoofer because the sub actually flattens a room mode around 50-80hz.  Of course I could be wrong.   

That response sounds good to me!!!  :thumb:

My system does sound better - given its limitations.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2013, 03:00 pm »
Hey, I'm just guessing here, mostly because we're allowed to guess on this forum.  Very little could be determined from the evidence presented unless you had a series of baseline measurements before the incident.  So I'm going with the "your guess is as good as mine" approach.

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2013, 05:43 pm »
Some swear about differences in a system contaminated by "static electricity" and those that have been "discharged" I'm guessing something like that may have happened here.

Static energy builds up on almost all system components, carpet, and wiring. It is supposed to effect signal transfer slightly. Sounds like you got a free "discharge" service. They sell anti static tweaks, spray and "zero stat" guns for stuff like that. Guess I'll have to try some. :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2013, 08:31 pm »
Maybe, maybe....

It's continues to blow my mind what a change it was, enough that a ten oz. solid piece of glass stopped migrating across the shelf. It used to move about 2 inches a week. I thought and should have taken a photo with the mouse trail across the dust but I was too embarrassed to do so.