Whole house surge protection?

sts9fan

« on: 7 Aug 2013, 06:19 pm »
Anyone have this as a first line of defense?

Phil A

Re: Whole house surge protection?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2013, 06:41 pm »
I had it done to the new house I'll be in early next year.  I closed on the house in April but am waiting to retire to be in it. It is in FL and due to storms I thought it was a good idea.  Also due to the 1999 electrical codes changes with Arc Fault Circuit Breakers (which are much more expensive too so someone made some $) they tend to be more flakely so I have extra circuits.  I have two 15 amp circuits and one 20 amp circuit for the main system each on a separate receptacle.  The house is also solar (but needs power to run) so while I have a power conditioner, I'd think the power could be a bit cleaner when it is running on solar (but I'm not overly technical).  I have 300 amp electrical service and a panel for an outboard generator (that I can wheel outside in the event of a power outage and run essential circuits.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2013, 07:03 pm »
Whole house surge protection at the service entrance is the way to go.  The common budget point of use surge protectors just add to your noise problems.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2013, 07:19 pm »
Even the title is the same...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2013, 10:01 pm »
It is the only way to go.  I sell point of use protection because I was asked for it.  A whole house unit will save......... the whole house.

Do it.

Dave

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2013, 11:07 pm »
After a lightning strike to the utility access cover in our front yard fried the door bell and garage door circuits, I had our utility company install a whole house surge protector at the meter. It's had no deleterious effects on the sound system and I worry a bit less about these incessant Florida summer thunder storms.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:01 am »
Ballpark price installed?

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:24 am »
It is the only way to go.  I sell point of use protection because I was asked for it.  A whole house unit will save......... the whole house.

Do it.

Dave

Do you recommend something like the Environmental Potentials EP2050 or one of the cheaper units?  The EP2050 looks real easy to install.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:47 am »
This is what I use:

Environmental Potentials EP2050 On Breaker Box
Environmental Potentials EP 2750 Ground Filter
Environmental Potentials EP 2450 On Gear

Easy to install and works great!
Before I had the EP 2050 installed my old 36"crt would flicker whenever lightning was on it's way.
Hasn't happened since and the blacks on the screen were greatly improved!
Have had it installed for about 6.5 years, and the little yellow lights let me know everything is fine when I walk by them daily on the way to my van.

http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP-2050_SeriesSpecifications.pdf

http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP_Ground%20Filter.pdf

http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP_2450%20Specifications.pdf

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:58 am »
Do you recommend something like the Environmental Potentials EP2050 or one of the cheaper units?  The EP2050 looks real easy to install.
The EP2050 is an excellent device. We live in Albuquerque NM and thunderstorms are very common in the summer.  I personally use an Eaton cheapie from the big box stores.  If I get a hard hit, I'll just replace it.  Square D makes one for $130.00 that is very good.  Lots of options out there for money from mild to wild.  Just use something.

Dave

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2013, 02:38 am »
I personally use an Eaton cheapie from the big box stores.  If I get a hard hit, I'll just replace it.  Square D makes one for $130.00 that is very good.  Lots of options out there for money from mild to wild.  Just use something.

Same here. I have an Eaton CHSPT2MICRO attached to the side of my breaker box. The TV and stereo are also plugged into a Panamax, the office computer is plugged into a APC Back-UPS RS 1500.

Wayne

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2013, 03:29 pm »
First of all, surge suppressors are to take out line voltage spikes, like when the power company installs the wrong transformer in the neighborhood.

If you think that any of this stuff is going to stop a nearby or direct hit from lightning, millions of volts can jump just about anything. So if you think these devices will make your equipment safe, you are sadly mistaken.

I've been in a house when it was directly hit. Like a 12 gauge shotgun going off next to your ear. Everything gets fried.

I'm not here to piss on your parade, and you can certainly invest your money as you see fit. But when it comes to the power of lightning, don't kid yourself.

Wayner

electricbear

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2013, 03:52 pm »
Having assisted many clients with insurance claims I can tell you that Wayner is right.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2013, 05:20 pm »
We installed one when we built 10 years ago.  It basically replaces all the little ones you know you should have (but may forget) and it also covers other appliances/devices that you may not even realize have delicate electronics (like our refrigerator that has self-diagnostics we were unaware of). 
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2013, 11:57 pm by JLM »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2013, 06:30 pm »
If you think that any of this stuff is going to stop a nearby or direct hit from lightning, millions of volts can jump just about anything. So if you think these devices will make your equipment safe, you are sadly mistaken.

Wayner
Yup.

Dave

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:40 pm »
EP doesn't claim that their products will protect with a direct lightning hit.
Only that it will reject surges.
The EP 2050 will isolate your house from the rest of the houses on the same transformer.

https://store.acousticfrontiers.com/files/EP-2050%20Datasheet.pdf

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:41 pm »
I have to imagine that something is probably better than nothing.  It's like having insurance.  You don't want to use it but you better have it so you don't use it.   :D :o :lol: :scratch: :duh: :thumb:

I have whole house protection as well as point of use on very critical items.

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:52 pm »
I'm not saying that it's not needed, just making it clear that there are some things it can't do and protecting equipment from lightning is one of them.

After all, the arc of lightning had enough voltage to jump from about 10,000 feet to earth (lightning doesn't just fall to the earth), so jumping a small gap in a little box is simply no problem.

:D

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm »
Absolutely true Wayner!

We should all read our home owners policy very closely and make adjustments for coverage and deductibles where lightning is concerned.
Have had some family and friends who wish they had done just that!  :duh:

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2013, 08:20 pm »
I have attended several NFPA-79e courses and believe me, you get an education on what damage electricity can do.

Wayner
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2013, 11:48 am by Wayner »