Bug

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Bug
« on: 6 Aug 2013, 01:20 am »
Not a leaf.

I did a double take on this little fellow. Wins "best bug camo" award as far as I'm concerned.
When I pulled him off my truck, I discovered he also has the ability to make a very strong, very sticky web.

On my hood:
Note, the mouth is on the left, and is where the web originated from. Not from the butt like a spider.
Fascinating creature.

Where I placed him:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Bug
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:51 am »
 :scratch:  That's one curious critter Bob. I'd say a double take was conservative.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2013, 07:45 am »
Okay, that's just bizarre.  It looks like a few twigs pressed into rolled excrement with a couple of leaves.

Bob, are you fvck'n with us?

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2013, 07:50 am »

Okay, that's just bizarre.  It looks like a few twigs pressed into rolled excrement with a couple of leaves.

Bob, are you fvck'n with us?

Yeah, what he said  :D

Looks like dirt and some leaves or a doobie gone bad  :smoke:

It ain't got no legs  :no_see:

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2013, 08:05 am »
OK Bob. Level with us - did it move?  :lol:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2013, 12:13 pm »
I remember seeing those bugs on some evergreen bushes in my neighborhood growing up in Webster Groves.  They'd grab up hunks of the vegetation they cling to and wrap it into their ghillie suit.  Basically it a cocoon of sorts.

Bagworm

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:19 pm »
I swear I'm not pulling any bodies leg. I thought it was a leaf when I first saw it, But it was sitting halfway up my windshield, which isn't a place a leaf would stick to. When I poked it, it did move.

I sent the pic to my Mother, and she confirmed what Pete said, that it's a cocoon and is most likely a butterfly.

Bob