Question for you computer gurus

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 24 Jul 2004, 12:36 am »
I'm looking for a KVM switch to let my share my key, mouse & monitor (duh!) between computers, but I need one that will also switch a USB source, too.  The idea would be that I could use my Griffin Powerwave (which has a USB input) with both PCs, listening to whichever I'm using.

Does such a beast exist?  And if not, is there a small & economical USB hub/switch that I could use independant of the KVM?

jakepunk

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2004, 03:08 am »
There are KVM switchboxes for USB keyboards, but I've never heard of a box that switches non-keyboard USB devices.  A switchbox has to maintain a keyboard and mouse "signal" to all PCs that do not currently have focus.  But a hypothetical USB switchbox like you describe would have to unregister and re-register the USB device every time you switched machines, which is impractical.

Belkin makes high-end KVM switchboxes that allow you to switch audio inputs, but you use it with a soundcard in every PC, not a shared sound card.

What I do is plug the outputs of my two computers' individual soundcards into a stereo mixer so that both computers can output audio to a single set of speakers simultaneously, regardless of which one has focus.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2004, 03:25 am »
Yeah, I was afraid of that.  Neither computer really has a very good soundcard, which is why I use the USB output to my P-wave.

jakepunk

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2004, 05:51 am »
Update: there is indeed a KVM switchbox that will do this.  I purchased one today.  It is the Iogear MiniView Extreme (GCS1734).  It's a bit pricey, and it only works with USB keyboards (not PS2), but it does work with my printer.

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2004, 10:18 am »
Hi, I just bought one that is supposed to do all you describe. It is an Aten CS1734A. This gives inputs for:
Keyboard (USB)
Mouse (USB)
Video (VGA-type)
USB (peripherals)
Sound in and out

and connects those to 4 each of:
Video
USB (peripherals)
Keyboard USB or PS/2
Mouse USB or PS/2
Sound in and out

USB peripherals and Sound can be switched independent from traditional KVM functionality. I am still in the process of setting this up with my IBM laptop, Apple Powerbook and 2 traditional PCs but so far I am very happy.

Good luck with yours.

Happy Holidays!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:21 am »
Thanks for the heads-up, guys.  I'll have to check into them down the road.  I would like to be able to switch sound outs, but right now my burning machine won't output sound, anyway. :shake:   I'm not sure why, haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it, but it looks like a hardware problem.  I don't need sound from it anyway, really, just thought it would be nice.