Poll

The Beatles are nearly omnipresent when it comes to rock and roll. How would you rate them?

I love 'em. The Beatles are one of the most underrated bands, ever.
54 (46.6%)
I like some of their songs. They had their place.
26 (22.4%)
I could take 'em or leave 'em.
9 (7.8%)
Most of their songs bother me. I've never undestood the fascination.
6 (5.2%)
I hate 'em. They are the most overrated band ever.
4 (3.4%)
None of the above; I'll comment below.
17 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: 10 Aug 2013, 07:36 pm

The Beatles: One of the Greatest, or One of the Most Overrated? A Poll

wushuliu

No one can duplicate what they did. No one. It's always easy to tear down or dismiss a foundation - but once removed, you've got nothing to stand on. The Beatles cannot be overrated since they are in so many ways the point of origin. How do you overrate that from which something new began? Whether someone likes them or not is irrelevant, just doesn't matter. The Beatles changed rock, this is not debatable.

As an aside although I was born a decade after they hit it big I've heard a lot of 60s psychedelic rock including more lesser known stuff and by and large it is AWFUL. Just terrible. Not all of course but a LOT. When you listen to the Beatles, especially Rubber Soul and later compared to their contemporaries they are simply in another league. The closest equals I have heard are of course The Beach Boys, and that was only because Brian burned a little too bright all too briefly.

abernardi

I don't think you can narrow them down to "pop" or "rock", rather they were the perfect storm of music.  Everything was in flux all over the world, or certainly the western world, the culture, technology, politics, economics, wars, drugs, etc.  The world was shrinking rapidly before our eyes and minds were expanding.  They hit in the middle of a paradigm shift.  And then you add these pretty talented guys, but somehow adding up to way more than their individual parts.  The world was primed to be swept off it's feet and they were the right guys in the right time and place.  And I think they had the vision to embrace the major force of the time: change.  So every album was a reinvention of themselves.  To judge them simply by their musicianship is missing the point.  They were a seismic event.  And yes, they were totally a pop group, with girls fainting and screaming.  But I also remember the respect they earned from the "serious" musical world, from the politically conscious, they became a generations' spokesmen. 

I remember my father, a child of the depression and a musician, had only contempt for popular music.  But one day he came home with an look of awe on his face and pulled my mother, sisters and I into the living room and put on Sgt. Peppers.  He made us each listen to "A Day in the Life" with the headphones on, one at a time.  It was a revelation.  And I remember him saying, "So that's where music is going, OK, now I get it."  Each album became an event.

The only thing I can't stand are all the horrible covers, especially when orchestras try to cover their songs.  Their music so often falls apart when performed by someone else, with a number of notable exceptions.  Earth, Wind & Fire "Got to get you into my life" is pretty awesome,  Michael Ruff's "Come Together ", gosh, now that I think about it, there are lots of great ones, but there are a lot more lousy ones.  That could be a fun thread, your favorite Beatles covers...

BTW, for you Beatles fans out there, Jonathan Valin's review of United Home Audio's new reel to reel tape deck in Absolute Sound is an awesome tribute to Sgt. Peppers.  His enthusiasm listening to a dub of the master tape was so infectious, I HAVE to hear it somehow!

OK, enough, I'm done, lol

versus rider

haven't taken the time to read all the posts yet, I apologize for that. They were never my thing maybe because I was about 9 when they started producing hits but I do acknowledge their writing talents, how many other bands have had 3 or 4 songs in the charts at the same time? my guess is none. Nowdays the record companies would have spread them out over several years to get the best possible yield. They deserve their place in musical history at the very least.

versus rider

I don't think you can narrow them down to "pop" or "rock", rather they were the perfect storm of music.  Everything was in flux all over the world, or certainly the western world, the culture, technology, politics, economics, wars, drugs, etc.  The world was shrinking rapidly before our eyes and minds were expanding.  They hit in the middle of a paradigm shift.  And then you add these pretty talented guys, but somehow adding up to way more than their individual parts.  The world was primed to be swept off it's feet and they were the right guys in the right time and place.  And I think they had the vision to embrace the major force of the time: change.  So every album was a reinvention of themselves.  To judge them simply by their musicianship is missing the point.  They were a seismic event.  And yes, they were totally a pop group, with girls fainting and screaming.  But I also remember the respect they earned from the "serious" musical world, from the politically conscious, they became a generations' spokesmen. 

I remember my father, a child of the depression and a musician, had only contempt for popular music.  But one day he came home with an look of awe on his face and pulled my mother, sisters and I into the living room and put on Sgt. Peppers.  He made us each listen to "A Day in the Life" with the headphones on, one at a time.  It was a revelation.  And I remember him saying, "So that's where music is going, OK, now I get it."  Each album became an event.

The only thing I can't stand are all the horrible covers, especially when orchestras try to cover their songs.  Their music so often falls apart when performed by someone else, with a number of notable exceptions.  Earth, Wind & Fire "Got to get you into my life" is pretty awesome,  Michael Ruff's "Come Together ", gosh, now that I think about it, there are lots of great ones, but there are a lot more lousy ones.  That could be a fun thread, your favorite Beatles covers...

OK, enough, I'm done, lol
I did watch a tv documentary about them where they said they split because the fans were so loud they couldn't hear what they were playing and so could not get improve as musicians.

wushuliu

They hit in the middle of a paradigm shift.  And then you add these pretty talented guys, but somehow adding up to way more than their individual parts. 

There you go. They allowed us to take baby steps into a new era, they were the soundtrack on one hand but also participants flaws and all. Hell I wouldn't even be listening to classical Indian music without the Beatles. No Beatles, no Ravi Shankar (in the west). I can't evgen imagine what my life would be without classical indian music. How can anyone say they are overrated. That's like 'Gandhi? 'meh - foolio got shot!'.

@versus rider - on the flip side their refusing to tour because of the too loud fans allowed them to change the way records were produced forever. Fair trade IMO. No innovative studio production = no Pink Floyd (yes, Rclark you think they're overrated too. Wolfmother forever.)

bunky

The Beatles had a huge influence on popular music and I would have to rate them in the top five rock bands of all time.

BobM

There are groups that somehow pull together a single amazing ambum, only to be followed by something mediocre or just plainly so different from their hit that they lose their fan base and their momentum. The Beatles managed to chenge and mature and continue to throw out hits. The expectations of their fans were so extremely high, and they continued to meet that expectation. There are only a few groups that can claim that distinction (e.g. The Eagles & Led Zeppelin & Fleetwood Mac come to mind).

Ericus Rex

I was having breakfast in a cafe this morning and heard a remake of "Blackbird" over their system and thought to myself how in almost all situations (including this one) the original Beatles version is so much better than the remakes.  I think this says something.  Helter Skelter is another that's been redone several times and the original is SO much better than the remakes.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Bette Midler does an amazing cover of "Blackbird". A true audiophile type recording where you can hear the lips, and all that.
Highly recommended.

brother love

I'm 65 and I remember exactly where I was when I first heard I want to hold your hand. I can't think of another group that has had as big of an influence on the course and direction of music during my lifetime. Sgt Peppers may be the most influential album ever recorded. The Lennon-McCartney song writing has stood the test of time.

What she said. I remember vividly as well. As a very young lad, I watched American bandstand hoping Louie Louie by the Kingsmen would be no. 1 only to see this I want to hold your hand song by the Beatles topping the list.

Before that week was over, I bought my very 1st record:  a 45 of I want to hold your hand & I saw her standing there on the flip side. Very soon thereafter I bought my 1st album: Meet the Beatles.

Early on they wrote very catchy melodies & had a sound that was different. Lennon & McCartney were prolific songwriters & no doubt the greatest of their era. So many of their songs are classics that are know by the masses far beyond any other band. The only one who comes close in the rock world is Dylan.

With George Martin at the helm, they paved new roads in studio album-making.  To this day Sgt. Peppers is still my all time favorite album & is ranked at or near the very top of any list of note along with the White Album, Abbey Road, etc..

If you don’t like them, the genre, or whatever … that is fine.  But make no mistake, they were & are THE band for which all are measured by.  Period. 

Anyone who says different needs the hole in their head fixed where the rain gets in & stop their my mind from wandering where it will go.

Andre2

What she said. I remember vividly as well. As a very young lad, I watched American bandstand hoping Louie Louie by the Kingsmen would be no. 1 only to see this I want to hold your hand song by the Beatles topping the list.

(...)

Anyone who says different needs the hole in their head fixed where the rain gets in & stop their my mind from wandering where it will go.

:D
Just to be sure that nobody misses the joke, please check:

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/songs/Fixing_a_Hole

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yea, but how many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Thanks Fullrangeman - that's a pretty amazing cover they did of Long Tall Sally!

Russell Dawkins

Things have come a long way in the professionalism of sound crews. Notice John's mic troubles for the first 5 minutes and for the first song "She Loves You" Paul and George's mic is as good as off - all you hear is John's low vocal harmony part; the two upper parts are missing!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Helter Skelter is another that's been redone several times and the original is SO much better than the remakes.

C'mon - you saying saying you don't like Motley Crue's version?  Better than the original, maybe not, but admit it, you like it - perhaps even a lot.  I do as well however "uncool" that makes me.....

ctviggen

Before that week was over, I bought my very 1st record:  a 45 of I want to hold your hand & I saw her standing there on the flip side. Very soon thereafter I bought my 1st album: Meet the Beatles.

Early on they wrote very catchy melodies & had a sound that was different. Lennon & McCartney were prolific songwriters & no doubt the greatest of their era. So many of their songs are classics that are know by the masses far beyond any other band. The only one who comes close in the rock world is Dylan.

With George Martin at the helm, they paved new roads in studio album-making.  To this day Sgt. Peppers is still my all time favorite album & is ranked at or near the very top of any list of note along with the White Album, Abbey Road, etc..

If you don’t like them, the genre, or whatever … that is fine.  But make no mistake, they were & are THE band for which all are measured by.  Period. 

You know, I can't stand listening to the Beatles any more, but some Sgt. Pepper came on when I was listening to random play (not my album -- it's my wife's) and I still think it's so strange and so well done that it still seems remarkably refreshing.  I've listened to them so often, though, that I have trouble listening to a single song let alone an album.   When I can last through a song, they still sound great.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Many of us wouldn't be musicians if it weren't for the Beatles.

Doc

geowak

I decided a few days ago to listen to the White Album, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Let it Be and Abbey Road all over again.
Trying to decide if the Beatles were any good? Great harmonies, great song writing, multi-talent with all singers taking turns on lead vocals, experimenting with sounds and styles, incorporating different genres of music, again great song writing, political messages, love, philosophy.....

Yes they were that good, despite the screaming girls and simple love songs, they evolved IMHO. That mark a time in history that will never pass again. They made great music.

BTW in another thread there is mention about Brian Wilson. He was asked in an interview about when the Beach Boys popularity really started to wane. He said when the Beatles hit the USA. That was funny....

wushuliu

One doesn't have to like the Beatles but calling them overrated is like calling the alphabet overrated.