Poll

The Beatles are nearly omnipresent when it comes to rock and roll. How would you rate them?

I love 'em. The Beatles are one of the most underrated bands, ever.
54 (46.6%)
I like some of their songs. They had their place.
26 (22.4%)
I could take 'em or leave 'em.
9 (7.8%)
Most of their songs bother me. I've never undestood the fascination.
6 (5.2%)
I hate 'em. They are the most overrated band ever.
4 (3.4%)
None of the above; I'll comment below.
17 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: 10 Aug 2013, 07:36 pm

The Beatles: One of the Greatest, or One of the Most Overrated? A Poll

Andre2

So, as a result of the discussion on this thread I decided last week to complete my cd collection of the Beatles.  So today I received 7 CDs...  :thumb: :D

I was born in 1960, so I know and played their music in my teenage years in Rio de Janeiro in the 70's, as a part of a garage band with my high school friends, basically 80% of the Beatles music. So I know and I have heard all this stuff. 

But... I am amazed at how good these re-mastered CDs play in my stereo system!

geowak

Two more things to add, FWIW. The Beatles always sound much, much better on a good sound system. I mean Hi-Fi is good for their sound, tranistor radios like I had when young did not do anything to help one appreciate their sound. Secondly, it would be easy for the younger generation to miss what they did, at the time they came on the rock scene. I remember a younger friend of mine trying to explain how great Nirvana was and KC was revolutionary. I kinda look at the Beatles that way... but of course he was not impressed with the Beatles. Maybe you've got to live through it....to have the emotional effect. I also think Jimi Hendrix was the best guitar player who ever picked up a guitar. I am a product of my generation. (There is a song there, I think)

Andre2

Two more things to add, FWIW. The Beatles always sound much, much better on a good sound system. I mean Hi-Fi is good for their sound, tranistor radios like I had when young did not do anything to help one appreciate their sound. ....

You are so right  :thumb:.  I am listening to Nowhere Man right now (Rubber Soul) and, for example, there is a harmonic at 1.04 minutes that I do not remember ever listened before; the sound of the acoustic guitar is really clear and precise.  I am (re)discovering their sound and some details for the first time.

rockadanny

First off, I did not vote because I do not agree with any of the choices. I'd vote for: One of the greatest pop bands ever, and well deserved of all high praise for all of these years. Their early covers were great selections and performances. And nearly all of their originals were not only mind-blowingly good at the time, but, as another has pointed out, listening to them on a resolving system, it is clear how talented of players they were. And until I heard the new mono remasters on my system I never appreciated Ringo as much as I do now. And I appreciate George's work even more as well.

doorman

Interesting comment ie: playback on a good system. When their music was "fresh" nobody I knew had a "good system".
The music had to stand on it's own, without every last bit of resolution retrieved.
The music has arguably stood up well, a decent system certainly enhances the experience.

geowak

Interesting comment ie: playback on a good system. When their music was "fresh" nobody I knew had a "good system".
The music had to stand on it's own, without every last bit of resolution retrieved.
The music has arguably stood up well, a decent system certainly enhances the experience.
Yes you are correct IMHO the music did have to stand on it's own. All the screaming American girls did not hurt to get this pop band off and running toward stardom. I think it was pop music first, but after that the Beatles turned it into something else. The music evolved and became more reflective of the times...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Can I vote twice?

dflee

Just look at the chord progressions they were using. That to me speaks volumes.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I took tonight off from beating on motorcycles to listen to some tunes and grabbed a CD at random.
It turned out to be Yellow Submarine which I listened to twice as it's been a long time since I've heard it.
The Beatles were the trail blazers and the rest of the rock and roll world followed along in their foot steps.
Great stuff from the greatest rock (or pop, if you prefer) band of all time.

funkmonkey

:o How could I miss miss this thread???!!! 

The poll is closed, and I haven't read any of the responses yet, but I felt the need to express some feelings about this band, and their music...   

Say what you will, but the Beatles are one of, if not the, most influential bands (musicians; composers...) in the history of music.
Hard to argue against that, no? (even for a hater)   
At best Beethoven, Mozart, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Robert Johnson, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and maybe Elvis had a similar influence (choose your own order).  All of them hugely influential.

Also, they must rank as one of the most prolific artists ever to grace the Earth... on par with someone like Picasso.  They produced about 2 albums EVERY single year that they were together...  Tell me, who else managed that feat, and managed to last more than a couple of years?

How many other musicians can you name that have touched an equal number of people emotionally (love or hate) than The Beatles?  [look at this thread] They certainly struck a chord (sorry, couldn't resist)...  The real test will be to see if they last as long as the classical giants, my guess is that they will.

I love The Beatles music (...except for Yesterday, and Long and Winding Road, which I cannot stand anymore...  but nearly everything else (IMO) is truly great). 

As a unit, the band was magical.
'nuff said.

Cheers

michaelhigh

They came at a time in history when our country (and the world at large) was/were reeling from the JFK assassination, and pop music was pretty staid at the time. Because they wore their American music influences on their sleeve, they were familiar and became quite popular quickly. This factor played largely in their attempt to break the US market. After all, they waited till they had a #1 single before risking a trip across the pond.

Oh yeah, they had a manager with money, influence, and determination. A winning combination.

See my blog (www.mindseyemusic.blogspot.com) for reviews of the Beatles' tome.

rocker9999

The Beatles are right there dude! Who turns "Let It Be" off and to this day - still doesn't sing along?