Battery Backup

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Battery Backup
« on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:55 pm »
I'm in need of a battery backup for my Synology NAS that will be coming soon.  What brands are good?  I have no problem with Pro Audio stuff if needed and don't care about looks.

The NAS draws 71w so it's not much but I'd like to have plenty of time just in case.  Lets plan on 500w minimum.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Battery Backup
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:04 pm »
One other thing, I have a Zero Surge (TSC) unit for this so I do not want any MOV in the UPS.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:05 pm »
I'd be interested in feedback as well as I'm looking to replace an older unit.  I thought to just go with another APC (or if I was less lazy to replace the battery that's in it).  The annoying thing with the current one is that even w/ an alarm defeat it still sounds off as it's getting to the bitter end, and the super shrill beep is very annoying and particularly freaks my dog out.  So true totally silent no alarm option would be high on my desired feature list.  I know when the power goes off a la Dylan's "you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows". 

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:49 pm »
I have a big-ass APC on my NAS (file server) and the whole works is under my basement stairs, so when it does beep, pretty rare thankfully, it's not annoying. One could always unsolder the beeper but that is discouraged by the warranty folks. :-)

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:50 pm »
One other thing, I have a Zero Surge (TSC) unit for this so I do not want any MOV in the UPS.

I'm guessing that will be a tall order, I suspect most UPS have some sort of surge protection built in.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:51 pm »
I have a big-ass APC on my NAS (file server) and the whole works is under my basement stairs, so when it does beep, pretty rare thankfully, it's not annoying. One could always unsolder the beeper but that is discouraged by the warranty folks. :-)
Thanks.

This is the one in my wish list but wanted to see if there is anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1AI2WS8OZF1Y3&coliid=I1YQIZ28NN7DOK

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2013, 07:39 pm »
Thanks.

This is the one in my wish list but wanted to see if there is anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1AI2WS8OZF1Y3&coliid=I1YQIZ28NN7DOK

Looks good - and via windows software you can even kill the annoying alarm.  Yippee - no getting woken in the middle of the night!  Even for a mac user it's worth dusting off a windows machine or beg / borrowing / stealing one to accomplish that.