Power surge protection receptacles. Any good ??

zeiter

Power surge protection receptacles. Any good ??
« on: 2 Aug 2013, 06:42 pm »
Anybody used those power surge protection receptacles  ? Available in 15 and 20 amps, hospital grade, etc.... ( I guess for my 14BSST2, 15 A should be enough ). I don't like conditioners, and I would like to add some protection,  as I have everything in my PS Audio Juice Bar, and no filtration at all, but also no protection at all ,and this seems convenient and economic to replace my receptacle with a surge protection one. Just worried if it might affect or restrict the dynamics of the amp.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Power surge protection receptacles. Any good ??
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2013, 07:43 pm »
Anybody used those power surge protection receptacles  ? Available in 15 and 20 amps, hospital grade, etc.... ( I guess for my 14BSST2, 15 A should be enough ). I don't like conditioners, and I would like to add some protection,  as I have everything in my PS Audio Juice Bar, and no filtration at all, but also no protection at all ,and this seems convenient and economic to replace my receptacle with a surge protection one. Just worried if it might affect or restrict the dynamics of the amp.

Make sure the protection is not using MOVs

James

zeiter

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2013, 07:57 pm »
Thanks James, unfortunately, I did not find one yet without MOV

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2013, 08:40 pm »
Brick  Wall, Surge X, and Zero Surge make non MOV protectors.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2013, 10:27 pm »
The best place for a surge protector is near the service entrance to the building.  A whole house protector in or attached to the main breaker box is ideal.  The good units have a indicator light to indicate the status of the MOVs.  Yes MOV's can and will eventually fail,  but that may be decades from now.

The Brick  Wall, Surge X, and Zero Surge units are all excellent components, but are very expensive and not available in whole home units.

PRELUDE

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:09 am »
The best place for a surge protector is near the service entrance to the building.  A whole house protector in or attached to the main breaker box is ideal.  The good units have a indicator light to indicate the status of the MOVs.  Yes MOV's can and will eventually fail,  but that may be decades from now.

The Brick  Wall, Surge X, and Zero Surge units are all excellent components, but are very expensive and not available in whole home units.
+1 The best way to do it. :thumb:

zeiter

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:30 am »
Brick  Wall, Surge X, and Zero Surge make non MOV protectors.

Thanks I checked them, but they are whole external units,and they have noise filtering which I do not want, as they alter the sound, and that's the reason I have my PS Audio Juice Bar, very simple without any filtering, but I'm taking chances here, as no protection at all. I was looking for receptacle units that replace what I have in the wall, but with surge protection, like Hubbel, Leviton, etc...and did not find any without MOV.

Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2013, 04:41 am »
Thanks I checked them, but they are whole external units,and they have noise filtering which I do not want, as they alter the sound, and that's the reason I have my PS Audio Juice Bar, very simple without any filtering, but I'm taking chances here, as no protection at all. I was looking for receptacle units that replace what I have in the wall, but with surge protection, like Hubbel, Leviton, etc...and did not find any without MOV.

I own a zerosurge protector and I don't notice the sound being altered at all.  My understanding is the units just filter out EMI/RFI noise and I wouldn't think you would want those.  I believe surge protectors either use a filtering system or MOV's so you pretty much have to live with one or the other, but maybe there is a third technology I am not aware of.

Good Listening,
Mike

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2013, 05:26 am »

+2 but I use a cheapo one from home depot :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Complete-Home-Surge-Protection-CHSPT2MICRO/202800798?N=bm05#.UfySFODaFUg

I don't think it messes up my sound & I really don't know if it uses MOV's or not.  All I know is that aside from amps etc that don't go through other protection / filtration, it's nice to protect the rest of the house as well.  I also put one on the outside AC compressor to avoid having it potentially putting spikes back into the system as it cycles on / off or if something happens. 

Was interested in the Environmental Potentials 2050, which actually claims to make your sound ever better, but a bit pricey + it seems that you're looking for something more "purist". 

http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Environmental-Potentials-EP-2050-Whole-House-Surge-Protector.html

zeiter

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2013, 12:19 pm »
I own a zerosurge protector and I don't notice the sound being altered at all.  My understanding is the units just filter out EMI/RFI noise and I wouldn't think you would want those.  I believe surge protectors either use a filtering system or MOV's so you pretty much have to live with one or the other, but maybe there is a third technology I am not aware of.

Good Listening,
Mike
Thanks Mike. My experience is old few years back and based on a Rotel unit ( I don't know who makes it for them), but got to try it, and it was over 1K price, and I was not happy. Gave me a similar effect like using" Dolby" on old tape decks. By then I did have Rotel & Arcam equipment, and the unit had an unrestricted outlet for power amp. I then decided to try another unit from Monster about a couple of years ago, and I had a 4BSST2, and all Bryston equipment, and same thing. And I'm talking about a unit that was as heavy as my current 14BSST2, and not the small bars, it had some red LED and was priced around 2K. Same thing, I was getting a veil on high frequencies. I even tried it on my son's guitar amp ( Orange brand), and the result was much more obvious, and he asked me to remove it right away. That's the reason I'm against filtering. Now maybe these power surge protectors you guys are using, do not have same effect as the conditioners I tried ??? I never got to try any of them.

westom

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2013, 12:40 pm »
I own a zerosurge protector and I don't notice the sound being altered at all.  My understanding is the units just filter out EMI/RFI noise and I wouldn't think you would want those.
  It is a series mode filter. It is not a surge protector (even though advertising successfully spins it as one).  If acting as a 'whole house' protector, a destructive surge would simply blow through it.

Understand what happens after AC is filtered.  Electronics then convert a 'clean' sine wave into much higher voltages (well over 300).  And then into 'dirtier' radio frequency spikes.  Does not matter how 'clean' AC is.  Electronics convert it into 'dirtiest' power.  Then superior filters inside electronics convert that 'dirtier' and highest voltage into low voltage, rock solid and stable DC.

Does not matter what is on AC.  Relevant are internal filters work AFTER AC power is converted to highest voltages and is made 'dirtier'.

Surges are a completely different anomaly.  Require completely different solutions.  Unfortunately advertising successfully confuses so many consumers into thinking a series mode filters, battery backup, or solutions for other anomalies are also a surge protector or a line conditioner.  Spin works when one thinks subjectively; forgets that every useful recommendation also requires specification numbers.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:39 pm »
I think that West Tom got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.  None of his post makes a bit of sense.  The  Brick  Wall, Surge X, and Zero Surge units are all very good (and very expensive) series mode surge protectors. Note the series mode surge protectors are not available as whole house units.

Henry W. Ott comments on 'Series Mode AC Protectors'.
http://www.hottconsultants.com/resources.html

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:42 pm »
I was under the impression that Zero Surge units are NOT MOV based.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:48 pm »
While MOV's may not be a good idea in point of use protectors,  they are excellent in whole house protectors.

Henry W. Ott comments in his big new book:

14.3.7 Power Line Transient Suppression

MOVs degrade gradually when subjected to surge currents, which usually is not a problem because they are typically rated for a few million surges.  All things considered,  MOVs seem to be the best device for protecting electronic equipment from AC power line surges.

http://www.hottconsultants.com/book.html

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:49 pm »
I was under the impression that Zero Surge units are NOT MOV based.

That's correct, they are not MOV based.

tim92gts

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:49 pm »
Anybody used those power surge protection receptacles  ? Available in 15 and 20 amps, hospital grade, etc.... ( I guess for my 14BSST2, 15 A should be enough )

Not sure about the rest as i use a dedicated power supply / surge protector on each amp which i don't think is what you're after.
I can confirm though that at full power with music as opposed to test wave the 14 BSST2 is unlikely to use over 1500Watts.
I've run mine with a power meter on the line a few times.
HTH
Tim

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:53 pm »
The only real difference between a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp receptacle is the type of plug that can be inserted.  All the internal parts of both units are rated at 20 Amps.

westom

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:07 pm »
That's correct, they are not MOV based.
  Is irrelevant when a protector is properly sized.  Grossly undersized protector fails (is sacrificial) to promote sales.  A surge too tiny to overwhelm protection inside all appliances can also destroy a grossly undersized protector.  Then naive consumers recommends and buy that protector.

An MOV manufacturer describes how to test MOVs:
The change of Vb shall be measured after the impulse listed below is applied 10,000 times continuously with the interval of ten seconds at room temperature.
  !0,000 times?  Of course.  Because the protector was not grossly undersized to increase profits and to fail to get the naive to promote it.

A properly sized 'whole house' protector (always consult its spec numbers) means even direct lightning strikes are harmlessly earthed.  And the MOV protector remains functional.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:19 pm »
100 Amp surge protection and  BIT 'Isolation Transformer' from Bryston/Torus

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator