Need Help with Apex Jr Amp and SW-12B

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
    • 33 Degrees East WoodWorking
Need Help with Apex Jr Amp and SW-12B
« on: 2 Aug 2013, 06:02 pm »
About 5 years ago I built this setup, and it worked perfectly. It has been in storage for about 4 years now due to building a 2 houses and just being really too busy to mess with it.

I hooked it back up last night, and I get a small amount of vibration out of it, but not the output I am expecting.

I have tested the audio source with another amp/speaker setup, and get the proper amount of volume out of it.

Are there certain things I can test with the amp to make sure it is functioning correctly to try and find the exact problem?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2013, 03:32 am by swaggs21 »

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
Re: Need Help with Apex Jr Amp and SW-12B
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2013, 03:35 am »
Did more testing today, the speaker is fine and in good working order.

When I used the Apex Jr amp with the speaker, it is barely audible, even with it turned all the way up both at the receiver and on the plate amp.

I am thinking of just replacing the amp, does anyone have a good idea for a replacement that is around the $150 mark?

This is in a sealed box with the passive radiator on the opposite side.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2013, 11:02 pm »
Did more testing today, the speaker is fine and in good working order.

When I used the Apex Jr amp with the speaker, it is barely audible, even with it turned all the way up both at the receiver and on the plate amp.

I am thinking of just replacing the amp, does anyone have a good idea for a replacement that is around the $150 mark?

This is in a sealed box with the passive radiator on the opposite side.

If Apex Jr doesn't have any more then check with Rythmik Audio. Rythmik had some made by the same manufacturer.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2013, 11:58 am »
Thanks Danny.

I didn't know if I wanted to go with the same manufacturer since this one is dead with less than 100 hours on it, but it looks like that may be the best bet for now.

The reason I got this sub out (still building houses right now, should be finished soon) is my church needed some low end in the sanctuary, but didn't have any money. I was looking to see if this would provide some temporary relief until I had the time to research building another enclosure that would work for what they want.

Not sure that this speaker will even do what we are wanting to do, but might as well give it a shot right? Better than it sitting in the basement in storage....