California Audio Sow

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
California Audio Sow
« on: 2 Aug 2013, 08:28 am »
Hi all,

The ESTA allowed me once again to leave Amsterdam for a take off to San Fransico. ;)
Next week 10 & 11 I will join the VSA team in Westin's Oak Room'.

http://caaudioshow.com/

VSA is presenting their VR 100XS "Universe" once again.

I wil bring some nice live recording of I just made last weekend.

http://www.hollandmusicsessions.com/concerts/bergen-nh-avondconcerten.php

You will feel the church, the only thing you miss is the smell of it. ;)

Feel welcome.

Cor Dekker
Musical Reality

See also the Face Book Event:

http://www.facebook.com/events/279896612149028/
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2013, 02:27 pm by ceedee »

SundayNiagara

Re: California Audio Sow
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:47 pm »
I asked this in another thread and didn't receive an answer:  Have the "Universe" speakers been delivered to anyone yet?

Rouslanbel

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2013, 07:34 am »
I am flying to SFO - see you there

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2013, 07:14 pm »
@ Sunday Niagara,

Not every VSA Customer wants to share his experience on the web.
Lucky for us most do.

Cor

SundayNiagara

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:24 pm »
@ Sunday Niagara,

Not every VSA Customer wants to share his experience on the web.
Lucky for us most do.

Cor

So that means none?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2013, 10:49 pm »
 :nono: :nono:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2013, 01:40 pm »
:)

Ricob7

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2013, 05:47 pm »
I'm in the bay area and was wondering if Albert and Team would be bringing any other speakers to the show, particularly V-22 and V-33. 
Hope so, would be great to hear these and spread the word.

kernelbob

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2013, 11:01 pm »
Regarding the VS100XS shipping status, I placed my order (the first order of a VR100XS system) while it was still in the development phase.  I’ve had enough experience with VSA speakers, having owned the VR6, VR4SR, and VR5-Anniversary, to have placed an order based on the design goals that Albert detailed.  My speakers were on track to be finished the 1st quarter of this year with all the heavy lifting of design and development having been completed.  Drivers were finalized with customized magnesium woofers and midranges and with new ultra-light, wide range ribbon tweeters.  Crossover design work included the evaluation of dozens of vendor submitted candidate parts with many dozens of integration tests.  A key component was the implementation of the one piece tower to hold all the drivers.  This 500 pound, one piece tower design was chosen to maximize rigidity and prevent the smallest compliance in the driver mountings.  A one piece cabinet also permitted the drivers to be more closely spaced providing coherence of the drivers at a closer listening position than in the VR11 and fitting in a wider range of rooms.  However, this also required a dense maze of internal bracing which, along with the requirement for installation of the VSA triple layer internal damping, gave the cabinet manufacturer a huge CNC design and manufacturing challenge with a complexity beyond that of the VR9 and VR11 cabinets built by the same manufacturer.

All of the above work was completed by the end of 2012 with final tweaking (e.g. positioning of crossover parts to avoid interactions) done in January of 2013.  The plan was for this first pair of speakers (my pair) to be shipped to Axpona in March of this year and to ship them from there to my house for installation.  Shortly before the show, I became concerned whether the floor of my listening room (positioned over my garage) might not be up to the three quarter ton weight of a pair of VR100 speakers with their XS subwoofers.  Based on this and my desire to improve the AC supply, I asked Albert to hold off delivery until I vetted my site.

I did attend Axpona in March and got to hear the finished system at its premier which confirmed my high expectations.  It was blazingly fast with seamless integration of the drivers and had an enveloping sound stage (like VSA's previous VR10 and VR11 tower designs).  At the end of the show, one of the members of the Delphi Aerospace design team (the designers and manufacturers of the Masterbuilt product line) asked Albert to evaluate a prototype of an interconnect that they had developed using a new ultra low loss wire developed for the CERN LHC.  Albert asked if I would do the evaluation, so I returned home with the Delphi "Ultra" cable in tow (lucky me!).  The impact of that cable was amazing.  I'll direct you to my review posted on AudioCircle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116987.0

Such were the Ultra's improvements in the realism of my system, that I asked Albert if it would be in any way possible to use the Ultra wire in my VR100XS towers.  This lead to numerous exchanges between Albert and the Delphi folks, design work on potential wiring implementations, and tests.  As it stands, a solution appears possible.  The cost will be substantial, but I believe will be worth it.  Meanwhile, the first pair of speakers are on their way to the California Audio Show this month (August) and then to RMAF (October).  I will be getting another set of the VR100XS speakers whose cabinets, drivers, and crossover parts are all on site at VSA (and have been for some time) while an implementation of the Ultra technology is being finalized.

My request to delay the delivery of my speakers has proved fortuitous since it looks like I'll be able end up with a VR100XS system that includes Ultra-based internal wiring which will take the performance to another level.

Malcolm02

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:53 pm »
I live in the San Francisco area so this is my local show. It's in its fourth year now; I have been to all the previous three, and I have always been disappointed by the lack of VSA presence, especially as it is so close to home. I am glad to see that this situation is being rectified this year. Does anyone know if any of their more affordable models will be on display? Maybe one day I will be able to afford the VS100XS (seven of them in my surround system? :lol:) but for now I have to make do with the humble but capable VR-33. I'm looking forward to the show.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2013, 08:54 pm by Malcolm02 »

steve f

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2013, 04:26 pm »
I am in San Francisco this week so I will attend the show. I'm a Chicagoan and did attend Axpona. Unfortunately, while in the VSA room, the system was set to whisper levels. Everyone was talking sales at the time. I missed the chance to listen to the system in plain sight. I hope I have a better experience at the SF show. The big stuff is above my pay grade, but I'd love to experience what can be done. Will any of the more modest speakers be presented also?

Steve

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2013, 04:31 pm »
Thats really a Freudian slip there in the subject.
You reap what you sow.
Hope the show produces sales for VS.

Don

Malcolm02

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2013, 05:35 pm »
Thats really a Freudian slip there in the subject.

Right, maybe this thread really belongs in the agriculture section  :lol:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2013, 05:38 pm »
Regarding the VS100XS shipping status, I placed my order (the first order of a VR100XS system) while it was still in the development phase.  I’ve had enough experience with VSA speakers, having owned the VR6, VR4SR, and VR5-Anniversary, to have placed an order based on the design goals that Albert detailed.  My speakers were on track to be finished the 1st quarter of this year with all the heavy lifting of design and development having been completed.  Drivers were finalized with customized magnesium woofers and midranges and with new ultra-light, wide range ribbon tweeters.  Crossover design work included the evaluation of dozens of vendor submitted candidate parts with many dozens of integration tests.  A key component was the implementation of the one piece tower to hold all the drivers.  This 500 pound, one piece tower design was chosen to maximize rigidity and prevent the smallest compliance in the driver mountings.  A one piece cabinet also permitted the drivers to be more closely spaced providing coherence of the drivers at a closer listening position than in the VR11 and fitting in a wider range of rooms.  However, this also required a dense maze of internal bracing which, along with the requirement for installation of the VSA triple layer internal damping, gave the cabinet manufacturer a huge CNC design and manufacturing challenge with a complexity beyond that of the VR9 and VR11 cabinets built by the same manufacturer.

All of the above work was completed by the end of 2012 with final tweaking (e.g. positioning of crossover parts to avoid interactions) done in January of 2013.  The plan was for this first pair of speakers (my pair) to be shipped to Axpona in March of this year and to ship them from there to my house for installation.  Shortly before the show, I became concerned whether the floor of my listening room (positioned over my garage) might not be up to the three quarter ton weight of a pair of VR100 speakers with their XS subwoofers.  Based on this and my desire to improve the AC supply, I asked Albert to hold off delivery until I vetted my site.

I did attend Axpona in March and got to hear the finished system at its premier which confirmed my high expectations.  It was blazingly fast with seamless integration of the drivers and had an enveloping sound stage (like VSA's previous VR10 and VR11 tower designs).  At the end of the show, one of the members of the Delphi Aerospace design team (the designers and manufacturers of the Masterbuilt product line) asked Albert to evaluate a prototype of an interconnect that they had developed using a new ultra low loss wire developed for the CERN LHC.  Albert asked if I would do the evaluation, so I returned home with the Delphi "Ultra" cable in tow (lucky me!).  The impact of that cable was amazing.  I'll direct you to my review posted on AudioCircle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116987.0

Such were the Ultra's improvements in the realism of my system, that I asked Albert if it would be in any way possible to use the Ultra wire in my VR100XS towers.  This lead to numerous exchanges between Albert and the Delphi folks, design work on potential wiring implementations, and tests.  As it stands, a solution appears possible.  The cost will be substantial, but I believe will be worth it.  Meanwhile, the first pair of speakers are on their way to the California Audio Show this month (August) and then to RMAF (October).  I will be getting another set of the VR100XS speakers whose cabinets, drivers, and crossover parts are all on site at VSA (and have been for some time) while an implementation of the Ultra technology is being finalized.

My request to delay the delivery of my speakers has proved fortuitous since it looks like I'll be able end up with a VR100XS system that includes Ultra-based internal wiring which will take the performance to another level.

Thank you for answering my question, Kernel Bob.

Ricob7

« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2013, 08:20 pm »
Just spoke to someone at VS.  They will NOT be bringing anything to show except for the 100's.   :( 
Its a bummer, but good to know beforehand.

Malcolm02

« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2013, 08:36 pm »
Just spoke to someone at VS.  They will NOT be bringing anything to show except for the 100's.   :( 
Its a bummer, but good to know beforehand.

Thanks Rico, that's good to know. I will be there regardless, probably on Saturday.

steve f

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:30 am »
I attended on Friday. I enjoyed this show much more than Axpona. There was a very friendly vibe, and both representatives and attendees were talking audio and having a good time. I made it a point to walk in every room, and spend more time in those that had good sound. VSA was playing some really good tunes. I'm not given to audiophile hyperbole. I will say that the sound was excellent, considerably better than my Chicago experience. One of the things done right here, that two other well known manufacturers of  very expensive speakers didn't do very well was the way the speakers loaded the room. Just about any high end company should be able to get an evenly distributed sound field. VSA did such a good job that I bet there could not have been more than a couple of DB variation in the entire room. Impressive and very lifelike. Staff greeted people and explained the system. I didn't get to say hi to Albert. He had quite a few people around him, all in conversation. VSA is my pick for best of show in the price no object class. I just wish a smaller system could have been placed in another perhaps shared room. Great presentation guys.

Steve

JackD201

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:42 am »
When I saw pics in another forum I was a bit worried that the 100wpc Raven might not be enough for what looked like a very large room. I'm happy everything worked out.  :)

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2013, 06:47 am »
Thanks for visiting,

the show was succesfull as Steve wrote already.
Special was Sunday when Jeff brought in his modified Isoteric UX 1.
The system sounded even far better now.

Pictures will be added soon.
Just see the FB for the first pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ct.dekker

Regards,

Albert & Cor

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm »