Wattage increase to notice a difference in HT3s?

grantc79

Wattage increase to notice a difference in HT3s?
« on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:54 am »
Short and sweet.

I have an XPA 5 channel amp running with 2 channels running into each HT3 and the remaining channel running into an HTC. 300 Watts per channel at 4 ohm's so basically 600 watts into my HT3's.

Pondering an upgrade to my amp when I move into my new house with a larger media room.

Do I go with bigger monos? I could go with the new XPR5 in the same bi amping setup and effectively double the wattage to 600.

Or I could step up to XPA 1's?

Thoughts? The new room is going to be 26 feet deep by about 17 wide so I might need a bit more umpf so to speak.

Ace Deprave

Re: Wattage increase to notice a difference in HT3s?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2013, 10:36 am »
I don't have any experience with them, but from what I've read, they'll take all the power you can throw at them.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2013, 12:34 pm »
^ This.  The more power the better. :)

What options are you considering, grantc79?

grantc79

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:20 pm »
XPA 1's or an XPR 5 and running 2 channels into each HT3.

I could also go Class D Wyred4Sound but that's a lot more dough.

I'm open to it, if its really worth it.

I'm also not too opposed to selling off these HT3's HTC and sub and getting SS8's that are easier to place in a room and drive  :duh:

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:26 pm »
^ Honestly, I would opt for the latter option.  You'll get a nice increase in SQ, they'll be easier to drive and you can place them easier in the room (as you mentioned).  If you can swing the SS8's, me thinks you won't be sorry.

Donald

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:27 pm »
I would pose this question to Mr. Salk regarding the wattage increase.

ccotenj

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:48 pm »
ummm...   this answer is REAL easy...   "wattage increase" will have the same impact on EVERY speaker, whether it's a salk or a monoprice special (until it blows, that is)...

salk speakers follow the equations, just like every other speaker...   

umm...  the xpa acts like an ideal amplifier?  doubtful...

Austin08

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:10 am »
I ran into a similar situation before. I used to own several Thiel speakers although Thiel speakers sound nice but they are also power hungry. Finding a match amp for those monster is not easy. The amp I want will cost a fortune, the cheaper one will not help my Thiel sing the best of it. Very limited choice. So, I decide to take a different path.

Back to your quest. With all due respected, I believe Emo amps are good but would not be my last amp to pair with something wonderful like the HT3. Just my 2cts

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2013, 04:32 am »
Lower sensitivity does demand more synergy
Does anyone who has had the ht3s and now has ss8s want to comment on the difference regarding amp efficency and dynamics or more variety of amp topologies to drive them

Grant, you might try borrowing a second amp to see the potential response

Austin, what's your dream mega watt amp?

Austin08

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2013, 05:30 am »

Austin, what's your dream mega watt amp?

Back then it was a Classe Omega mono block. Now, I am dreaming of owning a pair of BAT VK150se mono block.

grantc79

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:40 pm »
I ran into a similar situation before. I used to own several Thiel speakers although Thiel speakers sound nice but they are also power hungry. Finding a match amp for those monster is not easy. The amp I want will cost a fortune, the cheaper one will not help my Thiel sing the best of it. Very limited choice. So, I decide to take a different path.

Back to your quest. With all due respected, I believe Emo amps are good but would not be my last amp to pair with something wonderful like the HT3. Just my 2cts

I actually purchased the emo XPA 5 due to Jim telling me he uses Emo amps a lot around the shop and likes them.

Are they as good as a tens of thousands of dollar Classe or Boulder set up no. But are they perfectly fine amps sure.