AES/EBU - wow!

Grit

• - Garrett
AES/EBU - wow!
« on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:19 am »

When i got my BDP-2/BDA-2, i only had an inexpensive BNC coax cable (from a popular internet cable company) to connect the player to the DAC. Just this last week, I got to borrow a ~$300-ish AES/EBU digital cable to connect the player to the DAC. Nothing else in the chain is different.

There was a VERY immediate difference. The AES/EBU connection had MUCH better separation and made instruments and vocals more distinct. There was an obvious "space" between them in the imaging. Everything felt more "musical".

My favorite example though was Sarah Brightman and Andre Bocelli's duet of "Time to Say Goodbye". I've always loved that song, but felt the recording I have was of poor quality. It just sounded compressed to me, of lower resolution than what I would expect. Even when I played it through the BDA-2/BDP-2 using S/PDIF-3, it sounded better than ever before, but nothing to make it into a favorite. But today, I played it through the AES/EBU connection. I was amazed! The sense of compression I'd perceived before was gone. The strings sounded amazing, life-like. The vocals were more clear and stood apart from the instruments. I wish I could describe it better.

Anyway, this combination took a song I enjoyed and turned it into an absolute favorite to listen to. It's amazing how having better equipment can change what you want to listen to!

I have no idea if the difference is because of what the AES/EBU connection can do, because of the cable, or both. But if you don't already use the AES/EBU connection, give it a try! I expected subtle differences, but nothing this dramatic. Excellent "upgrade", and comparatively inexpensive.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: AES/EBU - wow!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2013, 11:12 am »
Hi Grit

I like the AES as well  :thumb:

James

budcook

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:31 pm »
I was told that digital cables should be at least one meter long so I changed from half meter AES/EBU to one meter AES/EBU cable and the improvement was noticeable.

Bud

bjski

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:44 pm »
AES! :thumb:

budcook

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:55 pm »
Unfortunately, there is only one AES input into the BDA-n.  Also, there is only one balanced output. 

I have my BCD-1 and BDP-2 connected to the BDA-2.  I have to choose which device gets to use the AES input and which device gets to use the balanced output (preamp or headphone amp). 

Even my cable manufacturer's best s/pdif cable can't compete with the AES cable.

I'm left with moving cables around when I'm in a long term listening session.

Bud

srb

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:27 pm »
Unfortunately, there is only one AES input into the BDA-n.  Also, there is only one balanced output.  I'm left with moving cables around when I'm in a long term listening session.

Some consumer DACs that have two AES/EBU inputs, the AMR DP-777 (2 X BDA-2 price), the Calyx Femto (3 X BDA-2 price) and dCS Debussy (> 4 X BDA-2 price) still only have one balanced output.

Steve

budcook

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:33 pm »
Some consumer DACs that have two AES/EBU inputs, the AMR DP-777 (2 X BDA-2 price), the Calyx Femto (3 X BDA-2 price) and dCS Debussy (> 4 X BDA-2 price) still only have one balanced output.

Steve
I get the point, I know there is no free lunch.

Bud

mv038856

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2013, 04:49 pm »
Unfortunately, there is only one AES input into the BDA-n.

Hi,

the SP-3 does have two AES/EBU inputs... ;)

And I was amazed as well when I heard the incredible sound quality and transparency that the SP-3 is capable of when receiving digital streams from my Logitech Transporter via AES/EBU.

I haven't compared the AES/EBU to the coax or even Toslink S/PDIF inputs on the SP-3, so I cannot comment on that. Therefore it remains in the dark for for the time being, if the sound I am enjoying so much is due to the SP-3's inherent qualities or the advantages of the AES/EBU transmission... ;)

BTW, the AES/EBU cable I am using, is a Sommercable Binary. It is appr. 5m in length and was appr. 50 EUR including the plugs... again my philosophy, "if it is o.k. for the studio and the audio engineers, I can't be that bad for HiFi"...

Cheers!

Markus

budcook

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:02 pm »
BTW, the AES/EBU cable I am using, is a Sommercable Binary. It is appr. 5m in length and was appr. 50 EUR including the plugs... again my philosophy, "if it is o.k. for the studio and the audio engineers, I can't be that bad for HiFi"...

Cheers!

Markus

That philosophy will save you a lot of money.  Just never listen to anything else :green:

Bud

Robert D

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2013, 07:08 pm »
AES/EBU  Did I hear AES/EBU  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Does it get any Better  :D

Robert

95Dyna

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2013, 07:37 pm »
Two comments from this corner.  First is that Grit says he was using a cheap garden variety coax cable like the cable company would provide.  The AES EBU is a several hundred dollar cable.  Secondly, the $13,000.00 Esoteric K-03 as an example of a very high end DAC/transport offers USB2, Optical and RCA Coax inputs with no AES EBU.  It's hard for me to believe if AES EBU was a certified superior connection that a manufacturer like Esoteric wouldn't include one on its DAC/Transports (including the $20K K-01).  Don't get me wrong as I use the AES EBU from the Esoteric>BP26>7BSST@x2.  I'm just saying let's not write off the coax connection as inferior.

budcook

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:00 pm »
Two comments from this corner.  First is that Grit says he was using a cheap garden variety coax cable like the cable company would provide.  The AES EBU is a several hundred dollar cable.  Secondly, the $13,000.00 Esoteric K-03 as an example of a very high end DAC/transport offers USB2, Optical and RCA Coax inputs with no AES EBU.  It's hard for me to believe if AES EBU was a certified superior connection that a manufacturer like Esoteric wouldn't include one on its DAC/Transports (including the $20K K-01).  Don't get me wrong as I use the AES EBU from the Esoteric>BP26>7BSST@x2.  I'm just saying let's not write off the coax connection as inferior.
I use Cardas Lighting 15 s/pdif cable from my BCD-1 to BDA-2.  I use Cardas Clear AES cable from my BDP-2 to the DAC.  I've A/B'd the cables from both the CD player and the music player and I always prefer the AES cable.   

However, if i hadn't heard the AES cable, I'd be quite pleased with the Lightning 15.

I can always talk my self into preferring the more expensive cable :D

Bud

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:52 pm »
I use Cardas Lighting 15 s/pdif cable from my BCD-1 to BDA-2.  I use Cardas Clear AES cable from my BDP-2 to the DAC.  I've A/B'd the cables from both the CD player and the music player and I always prefer the AES cable.   

However, if i hadn't heard the AES cable, I'd be quite pleased with the Lightning 15.

I can always talk my self into preferring the more expensive cable :D

Bud

Well Said   :thumb: :thumb:

Robert

srb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm »
Secondly, the $13,000.00 Esoteric K-03 as an example of a very high end DAC/transport offers USB2, Optical and RCA Coax inputs with no AES EBU.  It's hard for me to believe if AES EBU was a certified superior connection that a manufacturer like Esoteric wouldn't include one on its DAC/Transports (including the $20K K-01).

For S/PDIF, BNC is a superior connector to RCA, but for no reason I can think of, they don't include a BNC digital input (although the Word Sync input is a BNC).

Steve

robb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2013, 03:50 pm »
Anybody using the Bryston AES/EBU cable?  (Only $100 dollars or so),   If so, how does it compare? I am thinking of replacing my old Green Hornet between the BDA 1 and the Wadia transport.  Thanks for any info.

Rob

budcook

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:02 pm »
Anybody using the Bryston AES/EBU cable?  (Only $100 dollars or so),   If so, how does it compare? I am thinking of replacing my old Green Hornet between the BDA 1 and the Wadia transport.  Thanks for any info.

Rob

I have a 1/2 meter (20") Cardas AES/EBU cable that is as new complete with the Cardas packaging and serial number that might be within your price range.  PM me if you are interested. 

Bud
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013, 12:06 am by budcook »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm »
I use a $12 AES/EBU cable I bought from a seller on eBay. It uses Mogami cable.
From my Behringer DEQ2496 to my Adcom DAC.
Of any cable I would place the AES/EBU as the one LEAST needing an expensive 'botique' cable. (though yeah one meter at least for length)
(for me. the DEQ2496 cost $220. The DAC was $250 used..  So the $12 cable is well inside the 10% limit, and lets me use Pangea powercords.. Which do push over the 10%)
I suppose with a $2000 to $3000 unit.. you could spend a lot more...

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:29 am »

Rob

I use the Bryston AES/EBU from my BDP-2 to BDA-2 and couldn't be happier with the resolution and power of the very engaging audio. My system has never sounded better. FWIW, I also use Bryston balanced cables throughout the system and find them excellent.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm »
 I use the Bryston balanced wires (Van Damme ) and my system has gone up a large notch in quality . :thumb:

Samurai7595

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:33 pm »
I use AES/EBU between my BDP-2 and BDA-2 and RCA-BNC from my BCD-1 to my BDA-2 (both digital cables are Bryston).   :thumb: