Yaqin CD1 Tube Buffer? Worth It?

Mass. Wine Guy

Yaqin CD1 Tube Buffer? Worth It?
« on: 25 Jul 2013, 09:08 pm »
The Yaqin CD1 tube buffer is pretty inexpensive. Has anyone used one in their solid state system? What did you think? I have  Bel Canto EvO 2i that sounds great, but I'm always lookikng for greater.

Thanks.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Yaqin CD1 Tube Buffer? Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm »
When I had an all solid state system a few years ago I wanted to here what tubes would sound like in my system and in my room. I bought the Yaqin buffer and it does add the tube sound without losing too much detail. I ended up selling my solid state preamp and bought a tube preamp shortly after.

I recently set up a budget system for a friends motor home using the Dayton audio DTA 100, a Pure i20 dock and the Pioneer book shelf speakers also talked about in this circle. This IMO was too bright and harsh in the top end and pretty sterile to my ears. I pulled the Yagin out of the closet and installed it in the system. It made a huge difference and became very nice to listen to. much more body and it tamed the highs nicely. I don't think it's the last word in transparency but it does what it was designed to do and it sounds pretty darn good for the price.

I'm not sure who you are planning on buying this from, but if new you can save some money buying direct from China.

Greg

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm »
Without heading into the exosphere, what are a couple of better tube buffers to consider above this one?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2013, 12:05 am »
I'm listening to a Yaqin CD2 buffer with Sylvania tubes in it right now and it's worth getting.
When you turn it off the music just falls on its face.
I'm sure that there are loads of better ones out there but that's what I'm familiar with.
Application is Harman Kardon CD player for transport, art DI/O dac and then the buffer with everything else being tubes (amps,  preamp).

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2013, 12:21 am »
Without heading into the exosphere, what are a couple of better tube buffers to consider above this one?

I had the JJ Tesla in mine and that jumped it up a notch or two, I think Gary Dodd might still be selling them, not sure. I don't think your going to find anything better without spending a lot more money. I don't know what your system is but I was using a Rowland Capri, Butler Audio BK2250 Amp and Ariel 7B speakers and the CD1 held its own.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2013, 02:47 am »
I don't know what your system is but I was using a Rowland Capri, Butler Audio BK2250 Amp and Ariel 7B speakers and the CD1 held its own.

In addition to the Bel Canto integrated amp, I have a Piano M1 CD player  and a pair of bi-wired Quad 12L speakers. I really like the sound of the amp and system. In fact, many past writeups commented on how the Bel Canto sounded very tubelike. But it's a never ending quest.

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2013, 06:35 am »
I had the Grant Fidelity one, and it definitely added a bit of tubiness. Was most helpful on old analog recordings not particularly well transferred to CD, and with mp3s. Made them both sound more like the real thing. On really good digital I don't think it helped. Possibly lost a tiny bit of detail, but not enough to bother me. Sold it when I got a different amp and preamp.

The Dodd Buffer is better (more expensive) - even his simple buffer (not the buffer/pre with all the inputs) is better. It also uses a much better tube. The iFi people are about to come out with one that includes a NOS tube. Based on their track record, it will probably be very good. Supposedly it will sell for $399.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2013, 11:53 am »
Who's iFi?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:43 pm »

Bostown

• BASS CLUB [Boston Audio Stereo & Social Club]
    • Second Time Sound - Audio Gear Re-Purposed
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:21 am »
A pre-owned Musical Fidelity X-10d is also worth considering.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:27 pm »
Please note there are several Yaqin units out there, the OP asked about the CD1, Steve commented on the CD2, and the is is also a CD3 model offered. 

CD3
●Vacuum Tube:6N8P × 2 
●Distortion Harmonic:   ≤0.03%(1KHz input)
●Signal Noise Ratio:  >75 dB
●Frequency:    10Hz ~ 100KHz (-0.1dB)

CD2
Vacuum tubes: 6J1 x2
Input sensitivity: 0.55V
Frequency response: 5Hz~500KHz(-1dB)
Harmonic distortion: ≤0.15%(1KHz)
S/N: ≤60dB(A)

CD1 -Uses only 1 Tube
Frequency Response: 5hz-500KHz(-1db)
Distortion: <0.15%(1khz)
S/N Ratio: >60db
Tube: 6N1 (additional 6H1n x1 tube Gift free (Made in Russia)

The CD1 and 2 seem about the same in price on various eBay sites (about $90-100 give or take), the CD3 is slightly more expensive (about $190 with shipping).  Also the CD3 uses what looks like a different PS.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2013, 01:48 pm »
I'd welcome any comments regarding the CD1, 2 or 3.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2013, 02:15 pm »
I had the Grant Fidelity model.  Added weight to the mids and bass at the expense of lost detail.  I didn't like it.  Get a Dodd if you can swing the extra $

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2013, 05:23 pm »
I'd welcome any comments regarding the CD1, 2 or 3.

According to some discussions on Audiogon the CD1 is supposed to be a newer design than the CD2 and sounds better. I don't know anything about the CD3.

raysracing

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2013, 02:37 am »
To save a new topic I want to start messing with my Grant tube buffer by changing tubes. I am tube illiterate and wanted to know if the 6j1 signifies the only type of tube or if the 6SN7 tubes will work?  I have a friend with boxes of scavenged tubes. I want to know what to plug in and try.

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2013, 02:57 am »
I tried a CD 1 at one time in an all solid state setup. At times it was difficult to tell it was doing anything except increasing the gain (volume) at other times it seemed more obvious that it was fleshing out the sound a little bit......and this effect was definitely dependent on the tube used. I had 3. The original Chinese tube was OK. It actually seemed to impart the least character. The JJ E88CC was the warmest and made the most obvious difference. I probably used it the most, if anything, just because it made the sound so smooth and mellow ; the antithesis of solid state sounding. It was also a very inexpensive tube to boot. The other tube I had was a GE green label 6922. It was probably the most dynamic sounding tube of the 3 I had. It also had a more fleshed out sound than the stock Chinese tube, but it was not as smooth as the JJ.

At the end of the day, however, I found that tube buffers really only give you an appetizer for tube sound. If you really want to hear a difference get a tube preamp. Buffers are fun to play with and most are inexpensive (relatively speaking). :thumb:

raysracing

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm »
Thanks RDavidson.  I did buy this buffer from a fellow Ac member for just that reason.  I like the sound of it, though my system is very cheap and I swap in and out other cheap stuff just for a change of pace.  I do know when I take it out and get used to it not being there and then then put it back in I always like it better.

I am years away from having the kind of expendable income needed for a quality Pre or amp (even $100 is out of my range these days).  First year school teacher in a charter school. We get paid crap.