What is "a lot of gain" and how do you find it?

RDavidson

Re: What is "a lot of gain" and how do you find it?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2013, 08:32 pm »
It happens. :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2013, 12:34 am »
i have Acoustic Technologies speakers (http://www.acoustictechnologiesllc.com/). 

The speaker was reviewed by Stereo Times (http://www.stereotimes.com/speak020811.shtml).

This is a quote from the review - "I found out the speakers needed an amplifier and/or preamplifier with a lot of gain to maximize the dynamic response and create the holographic presentation".

What does this mean?  I've read what's available on this site about gain and still don't get it.  i especially don't get how it relates to amp+preamp+dac systems like peachtree, nad, nuforce.

Any help is really appreciated.

The reason that the reviewer mentioned "with a lot of gain" is because he was talking about using them with the two low powered tube amps that he liked - since he hated the sound from the two SS amps he tried. Because they don't have a lot of power, he was referring to the gain (voltage) at the output of the pre-amps which will give more volume being fed to those lower powered amps. It's more about sound level rather than sound quality.

Interestingly, the website recommends amp power from 15 to 30 watts.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2013, 02:19 am by charmerci »

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:09 am »
That review is a tough read. I mean, there are pieces to the puzzle that don't seem to fit based on the given info, and there are others missing. For example, what size is the reviewer's room? Is the room lively or well dampened? These factors play a HUGE role in the resulting sound, and may be one of the main reasons the reviewer didn't have much luck using low powered tube amps in conjunction with the speakers. Something is amiss if the manufacturer states that 15-30 watts is all you need. If you're buying these, the manufacturer likely assumes you will be feeding them quality power (15-30 tube or class A watts or something along those lines), given their retail price and their "non-novice" qualities.
I would almost disregard that review and just use it very loosely as a guide. Try to do your best to factor-in your listening tastes, habits, and room size. It sounds like it is super important that they are set up perfectly too, which can take a ton of trial and error.
I still stand by my earlier recommendations as good starting points on the cheap (Cayin) and crazy cheap (NAD 3020). I think either with give you smooth, warm, fatigue free sound with good drive that you can easily live with and enjoy while you continue to tweak the speaker positioning to perfection.

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:14 am »
OMG, aren't those cheap tangband drivers? Wow for that money... I mean I know I haven't heard them and I'm sure they sound... good I guess. The rec. power is the same as the driver specs. I can't help but think $100 for the drivers and then you've got $$$ left over for someone like Dennis Murphy to help you build that for much less. I know, I know not really appropriate but...

And frankly the review sounds like it's tiptoeing; basically the speakers deliver what full range have to offer but also what full range can sometimes leave out aka high frequencies.

For that money I would without hesitation rather go to someone like Planet10 and get one of his using MUCH better driver, fully built, for much less. IMHO.

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:19 am »
Geez. Here we go for a second time. :duh:
Look, the guy got the speakers for a little over $300 on Ebay ; A very nice purchase I think.
But we're not here to discuss the price of the speakers, how much he paid, or the price or quality of the raw drivers. Everyone knows speaker manufacturers mark up the price of speakers regardless of the type of drivers used. Some do it much more so than others. This is all entirely beside the point of the thread.
He just wants advice on amplification.

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:20 am »
The guy got the speakers for a little over $300 on Ebay. Worthwhile purchase I think.

I guess.

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:27 am »
Sorry. Just kinda drives me nuts going in circles on stuff that has already been covered. :thumb:
I guess it's called Audio Circle for a reason. :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:37 am »
That review is a tough read. I mean, there are pieces to the puzzle that don't seem to fit based on the given info, and there are others missing. For example, what size is the reviewer's room?

From the review - "The final speaker position ended up being 29.5” from the front wall to the speaker face, 60” between inside edges and 0.5” of toe in. This left the speakers just over 3’ from the side walls and avoided serious corner loading."

So we know his room is about 12' wide - the speakers are 6" wide.

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2013, 01:42 am »
That's part of the puzzle and an important part. Thanks for doing the conversion. This at least clearly gives the op a place to start in terms of positioning.

The reviewer also states his room is rectangular, so I think it is fairly safe to assume he placed the speakers along the short wall.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2013, 09:42 am »
Sorry for adding to this "herding cats" exercise imanpaul (but now you see how hard it is to keep a thread on course).

Yes, the whole review is especially hinky, and yes all reviews should only be taken as guides.  This is one of the hazards of shopping on the fringe of popularity (limited knowledge base).

It does seem that the reviewer was concerned regarding pre-amp gain, not power amp wattage output as I can't imagine 3 inch widebanders can handle much over 20 watts.  And we can only guess at the bass response (after fussy placement is resolved).  Even knowing all this matching tube amps to speaker/rooms can be tough.  Some of the better tube amps produce a degree of bass bloat (which could be synergistic but not accurate).  OTOH with the high damping factor of most solid state gear, there will be no bass boost to help out.

raindance

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2013, 10:47 am »
Some hilarious thoughts cropping up here. More gain = less hiss. ROFL.  :lol:

Amps with lots of gain are more dynamic. Nonsense. All this determines is how much you have to turn the volume dial.

Gain vs volume is the most misunderstood thing in all of he audio world. "I can turn the volume up to max without distortion" means the system has insufficient gain. "I chose amp a over amp b because it was louder for the same volume control position" means amp a had more gain, is all. Most people will choose the louder amp in a shoot out. However it is just louder and your ears work better with more volume. Maybe there s a psychological thing going on here where it makes you think the amp with less twist on the volume pot is not working as hard.

I do find that amps and preamps with zero feedback sound more dynamic but this is regardless of gain.