Amp suggestions

xpremier

Amp suggestions
« on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:13 pm »
Hi I am new to this board and I have  picked up a pair of tympani iv speakers in perfect condition and I am looking for amp suggestions I have found three locally that will fit my budget a Byston 4B, a Rogue Audio Stereo 90 and a pair of Aragon Palladiums Mono Blocks

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Amp suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2013, 04:06 am »
Welcome to AC!  Since this is more an amp question I'm moving it to All Solid State. :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2013, 04:28 am »
Hi I am new to this board and I have  picked up a pair of tympani iv speakers in perfect condition and I am looking for amp suggestions I have found three locally that will fit my budget a Byston 4B, a Rogue Audio Stereo 90 and a pair of Aragon Palladiums Mono Blocks

So many amps...so little time...All three have great reputations, and all three seem suitable for your speakers depending on other unknowns, such as your power requirements.  IMO it's worth the effort to bring them all home and try them if possible.  If that's not possible, get them for a reasonable price so you can trade.  I think I lean toward the mono blocks.  If you go that route site them near the speakers.

But...depending on age the electrolytic caps might need replacing (shelf life).  Listen closely for hum at the speakers with the inputs open, also with a shorting plug in the input.  Such service is likely quite costly.  It's always possible there are no replacements for the PS cans, in which case that gorgeous amp could quickly become an art piece or a boat anchor.  Plus shipping those buggers is costly, but then none of the three amps are lightweights. 

Sum total for all parts for DIY Hypex Ncore NC400 stereo amp powered by SMPS1200A400 total only about $1300, and I'd likely take that over any of the above amps.  Moderately easy build.  SiliconRay sells pre-cut CNC chassis.  All parts from only two vendors.  Nice amp for this application, 200/400/500+W @ 8/4/2 Ohms, safe to 1.5 Ohms.   

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:19 am »

Welcome, xpremier!  :thumb:

Palladiums are damned fine amps.

What is your budget, and if you describe your room and Source you'll get better answers!

Have fun,

Jerry

xpremier

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2013, 06:45 am »
Thank you all, JerryM my room size is 25 x 25 but the listening area is 19 x 14 speakers on the 19 side the Byston and Rouge are $1000 each and the Aragon's  are $1400 for the pair I have a tube HD cd player
I have a Rouge 66 pre amp and a Counterpoint SA 100 amp but the counterpoint has had issues that's why I am looking for a new amp I also have magnapans MG2c

a.wayne

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm »

Aragon mono's would be my choice of those listed  and give the Halo A21 a look in, if going modern .....

Regards,

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2013, 12:17 am »
xpremier,
Compare the Aragon's age vs. the estimated shelf life of its electrolytic caps (15-20 years IIRC). 

It's likely impossible to confirm the amp's history, but "dry" cap shelf life (no voltage applied, amp unused/not turned on) is less than "wet" cap shelf life (voltage applied, amp in use/turned on). 

Cost to replace caps + round trip shipping might equal the amp purchase price. 

As I said though, performance wise only the DIY Ncore seems better and lower in cost. 

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2013, 01:56 am »
Aragon mono's would be my choice of those listed  and give the Halo A21 a look in, if going modern .....

Regards,
+1 on the Parasound Halo A21. I have it driving some MMGs. It's a great amp!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2013, 06:19 am »
Those area all some good choices!  I've had a lot of old Acurus gear, the poorer brother to Aragon from Mondial Designs, and never had anything, caps or otherwise, go bad on them.  Build quality is incredible, though Acurus sonically is nowhere on par probably w/ Aragon. 

Both the Aragon + the Bryston have the potential to be on the slightly more analytical "hi-fi" end of the spectrum, whereas the Rogue maybe somewhat less so.  I really like what tube gear brings among other things in increased soundstage depth & musicality.  Don't think anyone has serious complaints about Parasound Halo amps either - they may not reach the stratosphere as mega-buck amps, but they're a much better value. 

There have been so many great things said about class D ncores that they certainly merit consideration.  I've heard inferior B&O modules implemented in Bel Canto REF500 monoblocks w/ my magnepan 1.7's and I was very impressed (but wasn't about to drop $4K on them). Nonetheless, I could understand someone not wanting to drop substantial $ on DIY gear that might make more difficult resale if needed / wanted.   For Class D, some used Wyred4Sound class d amp might be a safer first bet to get a taste for it before going feet first into DIY ncores. Some people sniff that power supply quality needs to be outstanding to maximize class d, and that requires spending big bucks.  I'm skeptical though. 

The most relevant question may be : where do you want to go with your sound (and what else do you want from your amp)?