Vintage Tuner Fun

cjr888

Vintage Tuner Fun
« on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:24 am »
Obvious observation: They don't build gear the way they used to, with obvious exceptions of course.

Somewhat related question: Where does Elna fit on the food chain of capacitors?

O have always been of the impression that people think they are of quality, and don't know if this has always been considered the case, or if for example, they sell super cheap, low-grade capacitors as well, or used to.

The reason I inquire is I acquired an old Kenwood KR-5200 receiver from a relative that I'd planned on using for AM/FM. I pulled off the wooden case to have a look inside, and every single capacitor in the unit, from the two large capacitors next to the power transformer, to every other smaller capacitor were Elna.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/galleryimage.php/cjr888/DSCN0199.sized.jpg
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/galleryimage.php/cjr888/DSCN0192.sized.jpg
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=42083

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
Vintage Tuner Fun
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2004, 02:47 am »
Hi,

I have had alot of gear with Elna caps in them. Marantz uses alot of those caps. There are different series, (Silmic, etc..) in there lines. The thing I would be most concern of is since that receiver is pretty old and those are stock caps, they might be leaking, or not tolerant to their values. (I measured some Elna caps out of my old Forte F44 pre-amp and they were about 30-40% off of tolerance. But this is dependant on heat, humidity and usuage. I beleive caps have a shelf life, like batteries. I would personally change mine out on a typical peice of gear after about 5-7 years (I have a Vimak DS-1800 DAC here with 90% of the caps leaked and values of the caps are way off). This will lead to failure or quirky operations in some instances.

I would believe the Elna Silmic is the best version they produced and some favor the sound of these caps in certain applications over some of the more favored brands.

cjr888

Vintage Tuner Fun
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2004, 01:54 pm »
Finally got a chance to hook up the Kenwood -> Pre Out -> 6sn7/300b and listened for a full evening to FM at home for the first time in probably 15 years.  Even with a little whip antenna it does a terrific job of pulling in stations, and 96.3 (NY Times Classical Station) really sounded terrific.  

With the exception of a few stations and programs low on the dial, I can ignore the rest of what's out there, but having instant variety and a very pleasing sound certainly is a nice addition...whether to sit and listen to, or have as background music, especially on those evenings where you look at a wall of 3000 CDs and somehow just can't decide what to listen to.  :-)

Definitely tempted to look into installing a proper outdoor antenna now....as well as trying out that whole new fangled XM radio bit and see what programming is offered and what the sound quality is like...