Seeking advice for tv/audio components' stand

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Seeking advice for tv/audio components' stand
« on: 16 Jul 2013, 07:12 pm »
I purchased a 65" TV that I was going to mount to the wall using a mount that can tilt and swivel like:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=6517&seq=1&format=2

Before I mount the TV I would like to seek advice from you folks to see what worked for you.  Should I mount the TV to the wall or purchase a rack/shelving for my center channel and audio/video components?  My center channel is very large, I think it's ~14" tall, and I am nervous, without knowing what the CC will rest on, if I get the mounting height of the TV correct.  My lady is very concerned about the appearance of wires and audio furniture so would love advice to attack this project with a good game plan.

Phil A

Re: Seeking advice for tv/audio components' stand
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:29 pm »
I had that issue in the bedroom system with a 55 inch TV.  I've since removed it from the mount and the mount itself due to a move in the near furture.  I've attached a couple of pics from my gallery of what it looked like.  Yes, with that type of mount it is really hard to gauge exactly where the TV will come down to.  I had a formica top on top of the unit and after I did my best guess, I could not fit the center channel under the TV and removed the formica top and it barely fit without (it would rub a mild amount of plastic off the bottom of the TV).  I had tight quarters and a shallow depth amp (Bryston 3BT) behind the center channel.  So it would be easier to get a rack (they make those that have a bracket for the TV too).  The do also make stands with slots for center channels (but a bigger one may have more limited choices).  So if you do go the mount route, I'd start with mounting the TV first (being realistic as to the height of most stands) and then work around that.  If you get the stand first, then you could end up making extra holes for the mounts.  I was lucky to the extent I only missed by an inch and I was able to remove the formica top.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:31 pm »
Here's actually a slightly later image where I actually have the Bryston amp (vs. the Adcom 555 above) behind the center channel

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2013, 08:34 pm »
This should be the image with the formica top when I had an old 42 inch TV in there.  It probably is about an inch or perhaps a hair less of height to the top of the furniture.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:14 am »
Sweet setup Phil. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to do some searching to see if I can find something that will emulate what you have going on there.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:38 am »
Sweet setup Phil. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to do some searching to see if I can find something that will emulate what you have going on there.

Thanks, I gave the mount away (for the wall being patched) and removed the speakers from the mounts and repainted them the color of the walls of the house where I'll be early next year (it is done but I'm not there yet).  I have the formica top back with the 55 inch TV on it and the speakers just to the side on top of the chests (center channel is out for now).  The furniture is this - http://cdcabinet.com/

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:40 am »
You can see from the old picture I had the center channel wedged in the furniture at one point.  The shelf slides out (I guess made for a VCR or something) and I could not slide the center out as it was a tight fit and had to take it out the back of the shelf.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:56 am »
When I was looking for audio furniture for the new place I did look at all sorts of things that can handle a big center channel.  My main system has a Thiel MCS1 (which is over 60 pounds too).  I did see these:

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/solid-wood-media-tv-furniture-on-sale

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:59 am »
I ended up deciding for the main system I was going to get (will order it in the near future) an Adona rack - http://www.adonacorporation.com/av45tv.html

Since I will have a projector, the center channel will go where the TV is shown in the picture in the link above and I already have the screen and height channels hung in the new place