Powersituation @ home

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Powersituation @ home
« on: 16 Jul 2013, 05:36 am »
Dear all,

More and more we discover that there is a lot of improvement is to make by paying attention to the power situation at home.

The top level of performance of every music system starts with a good power system.

When this is not correct 'the magic' will not happen. We all spend  a lot of $$ or €€ to speakers amplifiers, cables etc. but we forget to mention the 'plug in the wall'.

Due to bad connections of the power wire in the wall the right feed of power can never reach our system to make the subtle music dynamics.
When we come to our customer's home, first thing is to measure the voltage to be clean and straight.
If not we draw a special single and shielded line to the music system from the fuse box.
If the voltage is to nervous jumping up and down we put a stabilizer in between to make the sinus stable and smooth.
A good set of Power Cable ( Master Built ) is the Port to make components do what designers promise their component will bring to make it happen.

Our good colleague and partner at almost every High End Show, Ronald Kemp of Kemp Electronics advised us years ago and proved his knowledge of clean power.

http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/#/235

Remember, a bad power situation in your home can damage your valuable components one day.

Good Luck and enjoy the music,

Cor

fplanner2000

Re: Powersituation @ home
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2013, 03:32 pm »
Recognizing the above, I have been using a pair of PS Audio P-10 power regenerators in my system for the past 9 months.  I for each amp/side.  They IN NO WAY limit dynamic range and give me the piece of mind that I am getting both clean, steady power and also surge/strike protection, to the extent that is possible.  I tend to unplug in bad thunderstorms, just to be safe.  :D

harley52

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2013, 03:06 am »
Just wanted to say that here in the states many power co.'s will not let you run a separate line whatsoever. I tried when I bought a new home that hadn't even had the power supplied to the homes and still got no where. And if you have an electrician do it or anyone, then when the meter reader comes by he/she notices it and in a few days it will be disconnected. They also like to leave little warnings about doing it in the future will get you with a service cut off. :nono:

scb

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm »
I recently got a Torus unit and it's great.  Torus RM-20 (Bryston sells it as the Bit-20)

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2013, 04:09 am »
Big fan of both Running Springs power conditioners, and balanced power conditioning such as Equitech.

Audience is another great option.

Michael Hannig

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:08 pm »
Here in Germany the situation has worsened significantly after our Government decided to use more power generated by alternative sources, i.e. sun, wind etc.

Years ago best power quality was over the weekend when industrial production was down. Now, it is the contrary, over the weekend they mainly feed alternative power in the grid and THD gets higher and higher.

I completely agree with ceedee but finding the right gear to really improve the situation is extremely difficult.

Here in Germany the PSA generators are very well known and very often they do good. However, I found out it depends on the gear used in one's private home. I had a system where adding a PS 5 improved in certain disciplines but adversely affected sound performance in other areas, i.e. voices for expl. sounded compressed.

It also depends on whether for expl. the amp designer designed his amp using such power generators or not.

Sometimes the best solution is achieved when only a bit filtering is used. It does not kill all THD but also does not turn the emotions of the music down.

My exerience after about 35 years ...

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2013, 01:40 pm »
Nice to know that rolling brown outs will be common when the sun goes behind a cloud or the wind ceases to blow.  A big shout out to our government and their tree-hugging cadre for this.

rich58b

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:49 pm »
Guess we should just keep pouring those millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere to keep those amplifiers going!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:01 am »
..yessiree, just to keep those amplifiers going  :duh:  Naw, let's shut down all coal production here in the states, abandon fracking and of course shut down the Keystone pipeline....let China have that Canadian oil.  That's the ticket.  Hmmm....get those gasoline prices to $5 a gallon so the business case for plug in cars is more reasonable.  Build more and more solar cell plants ala Solyndra...erect more and more wind turbines that have terrible ROIs even with the subsidies...yeah that's the ticket....wooohoooo   :duh: :duh: :duh:

Delacroix

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2013, 02:09 pm »
Folks, lets keep the political positions to other venues. Thanks.

BigSwede

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2013, 06:55 pm »
I'm picking up a used PSA Power Plant Premier. I have been using a PSA Quintet passive filtration previously, and the PPP basically is a Quintet + power regeneration, so it will be interesting to see what happens with my "budget" VSA system. Might be a good thing considering my 1950s house wiring.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2013, 03:08 pm »
Folks, lets keep the political positions to other venues. Thanks.

Patrick you're no fun!  :lol: :lol:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2013, 06:03 pm »
 :nono:

harley52

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2013, 04:01 pm »
Swede,
 One thing you can be sure of w/o having to look, is you have copper. Some of the houses built in the last 10-15 yrs.. have frecking aluminum wiring! :scratch: :scratch: :nono:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm »
Swede,
 One thing you can be sure of w/o having to look, is you have copper. Some of the houses built in the last 10-15 yrs.. have frecking aluminum wiring! :scratch: :scratch: :nono:

There are a bunch of houses out there (central IN) with aluminum wire but at least here it was pretty much halted around the mid 70s..

BigSwede

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2013, 12:46 am »
Yep, no aluminum in the '50s...although I wouldn't mind having more outlets in general, two per room was apparently the standard back then.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2013, 01:56 pm »
That 1970's aluminum was bad news!  Now the power companies use a different formula aluminum in their big wires.  Nothing wrong with aluminum wires. The problem is trying to make connections. They need to use very expensive connectors and tools.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:09 pm »
It's a phenomenon called "cold flow" where over a period of time connections loosen and oxidize which causes a high resistance.  These loosened connections get hot enough to ignite stuff around them.  Not a good thing.  :nono:

BigSwede

« Reply #18 on: 9 Sep 2013, 08:11 pm »
I'm picking up a used PSA Power Plant Premier. I have been using a PSA Quintet passive filtration previously, and the PPP basically is a Quintet + power regeneration, so it will be interesting to see what happens with my "budget" VSA system. Might be a good thing considering my 1950s house wiring.

Finally got the PPP hooked up the other night, and it is both fascinating and frustrating to hear the effect. More listening needs to be done, but the sound is cleaner and clearer...there is more "there" there. On Saturday night the incoming THD was 3.2%, I wonder if it is worse during the work week.

The frustrating part is my renewed disgust at having to spend money on power cords/conditioning at all.