Bottomed Out Super-V

dragoonxp20

Bottomed Out Super-V
« on: 15 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm »
So I think I might have bottomed out the subwoofers for a couple of seconds. Actually, I went back to the same scene in the movie to see if it was my door rattling or something else. I'm worried I might have damaged the subs. I don't hear any differences yet, but is it possible to permanently damage them from this?

The sub amp was set to 14 Hz extension with no rumble filter and low damping. Volume was set such that voices were at normal conversation levels.

I've since changed the extension to 20 Hz and have not experienced the same thing. I just wanted to get some assurance that everything was okay.

nickd

Re: Bottomed Out Super-V
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm »
 :lol:
Those 12's are tough. I wouldn't worry.

If they are hitting the stops often, you might need to back them down a bit in level or EQ. I would just add another sealed servo sub below 40hz. Gives the system a bit more headroom on the really low stuff without using the 14hz setting on the PEQ 370. :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 01:23 am »
The amp and woofer combo is designed to be just enough power to drive them to the X-Max but not over. However it is possible to reach the mechanical limits on input signals that are below 20Hz. Movies are often over emphasized in those ranges so it is not a surprise. Just changing the setting to 20Hz should do it if driving them that hard.

And it is not likely that you hurt them. 

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2013, 01:31 am »
Just curious what movie you were watching?

I had a similar issue the other night watching A Good Day To Die Hard. In my case, I wasn't bottoming out the drivers in my X-Statik's, but rather draining my poor little Class A amp's 25 watts. LOL

dragoonxp20

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2013, 02:37 am »
Alright I feel much better now. Thanks for the re-assurance.

The movie I was watching was Olympus Has Fallen. It was the scene where the Washington Monument collapses when I noticed something was off.