It's Official - Danny Is A Guru

JFT

« on: 21 Jul 2004, 01:40 am »
My TAS arrived today, and there's an Epiphany 12-12 review which acknowledges Danny's role in the design and describes him as a "crossover guru". Congratulations, Danny, it must feel good to see that you have earned industry wide recognition. Few people in any industry can claim that accomplishment.

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2004, 12:56 am »
I went to pick up a copy of TAS but couldn't find one with the review.  What month is the issue?

Val

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2004, 11:44 am »
It's good that an important audio magazine recognizes Danny's involvement in the latest great speaker discovery. Never too late! :)

Now, what about Epiphany and Alpha LS similarities and differences?

Val

JFT

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2004, 01:01 am »
Quote from: wshuff
I went to pick up a copy of TAS but couldn't find one with the review.  What month is the issue?

The review begins on page 24 of the August/September 2004 issue. It is very positive.

azryan

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:25 am »
Dang, the place I went to still had the old issue.

Then again... I got to hear the 12.12's in the review so already know what it 'should' say. hehe

And seeing as they already printed them bowing to it.... hehe

As to 'val's' question of vs. Alphas...

I heard the 12.12's several times during the CES and made them the last speaker my wife and I heard before we drove home. -listening to my own  system right when we got back using the same CD tracks I used throughout the CES/T.H.E. SHOW.

At the show we both thought they sounded very much like the Alphas.

They were in a VERY large room with cloth draped all around the room so it was really a great space to get the most out of the image depth and weaken the room reflections.

Also the Epiphanies were hooked to VERY costly Edge Audio gear.

I felt the diffs. I heard there were slight and easily have been from the room and front end as much as speaker diffs.

Danny had pointed out several diffs in the design to me but I'd let him decide if he wants to detail any of that to everybody.

I know when I came home I didn't want to exchange my Alphas for Epiphanies though I loved the finish on the exotic veneers they had (but I chose Red Birch in my pair to match the room and Rosewood, Ebony, nor Bird's Eye Maple would match my room).

More-so I wanted to max out the front end signal I sent my Alphas and did that when I got my XR45 Equibit Panny modded by Bolder Cable.

I'm really looking forward to what's next for GR brand Line Source kits and would love to build one of those just 'cuz it was so fun building my Alphas.

Snegrah

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:51 am »
AZRYAN:
WHAT BRAND NEW LINE SOURCE KITS?????  :o  Hey, I just got finished with my Alphas and love em'.  I do not want to start all over again with another better, faster, powerful, etc. but I will have to if the new line source is mo'better.  Damn, now I gotta think what am I gonna tell my wife.

Danny, why can't you leave well enough alone?  You know there's a bunch of us that just gotta go faster!!!

Take trade -ins?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:09 pm »
Danny:  Congratulations on your public "Guru" status!

azryan

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2004, 06:19 pm »
Danny's already posted about the fact that nothing is forever.

BTW... I didn't say 'brand new'. I said 'next'.

Every company there is will come out with something new eventually and Danny's Alpha design's been around for 2+ years I think.

It's a simple fact that the sound of the Alphas will not become worse when something new comes out right, so I wouldn't worry about 'what's next'.

I know I'm not.

He had posted in another thread some specific things about what he plans on doing next and when. I think he mentioned the end of the year but that sure seemed like a 'maybe' and dependent on some outside factors.

Danny Richie

New Stuff
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2004, 08:28 pm »
Now, what about Epiphany and Alpha LS similarities and differences?

The advantage of the Alpha LS is that it plays a little lower and is at a low price point.

The Epiphany line has greater detail level, resolution, and speed that really can't be beaten.

It is a step above the Alpha LS in those areas, clearly. They are simply a must hear speaker.

On new product developments, you have to stay ahead of the game.

New driver development is taking place.

I hope to be able to offer some new stuff before the end of the year.

We'll see.....

srclose

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2004, 09:01 pm »
Danny,

After the positive Bound For Sound review I was glad to see the TAS report as well.  I can't say enough positive about the Epiphany 12/12, the pure enjoyment factor is higher than with any other speaker I've owned.  It really took a jump up when I replaced my transport with a PC, playing an uncompressed stream off the harddrive.  Sonics through the dAck! are now very similar to the sound I heard at GR.  

Best wishes

Stephen

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:02 pm »
When was the Bound for Sound review?  I get (or used to get) that one, but I may have lapsed.  Thanks.

srclose

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:17 pm »
Really wasn't a review, but a report in issue #155 on CES.  Part of the description was "If experience from shows past means anything, the Epiphany Audio loudspeakers are going to be a huge success. There were many new products at the show, but my vote for "Newcomer of the Year" has to go to Epiphany for what looks to me to be an extraordinary line of new loudspeakers, " and, "Everything about the performance of the Epiphany speakers with the Edge electronics was "Best of Show" in every way."

wshuff

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:54 pm »
Ah,gotcha.  I do remember reading that.  In fact, I may have posted about it.  Man, I'm too young to be losing my mind like this.

Looking forward to reading this review.  So far, the local Barnes & Noble still only has last month's issue, but I'm going by again tonight, so maybe.

srclose

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2004, 12:33 am »
TAS was very complimentary, comparing the 12/12 to some heady company, Kharma/Sonus Faber/Rockport.  Seems to be a balanced review in pointing out strengths and weaknesses.

Rory B.

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2004, 05:01 am »
Now I wish Epiphany would quit dancing around measurements for their E-Cube subwoofer ("Our proprietary design utilizes two 18-inch drivers that deliver sound too low and powerful to measure, and too accurate and clear to describe") and the rest of their models. Also, what's "proprietary" about a side-firing 10" driver (on the 6-6)?

Danny Richie

Subs
« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:47 pm »
Now I wish Epiphany would...

Why, are you in the market for a large sub-woofer?

I had nothing to do with their sub-woofer design but can address your post.

The transform circuit used on the cubes does keep the woofers output flat to 20Hz.

20Hz is as low as most measuring systems will go. MLS will go as low as 10Hz. The cube does still have a lot of output at 10Hz as well.

Do you need to see a response curve of a sub-woofer?

Have you ever seen measured response curves of sub-woofers?

Having heard them in my own room I can only confirm that it shook the hell out of everything if you turned it up much.

The dual 18" woofers also sweep a lot of air with very little movement, so distortion is kept very low even at high SPL's. Clear sounding certainly comes to mind.

Also, what's "proprietary" about a side-firing 10" driver (on the 6-6)?

Proprietary suggests it is of their own design and not commercially available.

Rory B.

« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:10 am »
Well, I saw none of that information about the E-Cube on the products page of Epiphany's website. I just saw hyperbole. I have trouble taking hyperbole seriously when it's involved in marketing a product. It's like saying "Oh man, this is really, really, REALLY cool and you should buy it because I said it was cool." Hyperbole may have been tolerable (and even the norm) back in Bible times (and we need to read and examine the Bible in that context), but these remarks about this subwoofer are delivered in the context of our own time, where hyperbole is not as acceptable because taking measurements of big things is easy. The E-Cube may very well be an extremely competent subwoofer but the blurb on the website does not tell me anything, really. If the distortion really is too low to measure with available equipment, then they should say that, and they wouldn't have to change the wording all that much in order to do so. I know that it's difficult to measure a subwoofer's in-room response curve and have it look good because of room anomalies (modes, room gain, leakage and such) but you could gather some useful information from it (like, "hey, this subwoofer is extending below 20Hz! And I have a room mode at 35Hz! Time to buy a BFD!")

As for the proprietary 10" driver, I stand corrected. I guess I just expected some proprietary technology like Adire's XBL^2 to show up. I just saw that and thought that I could run over to the Flluance Speakers web site and find a speaker that had a side-firing 10" driver.

Also, I don't plan to go trolling on this forum, and that's not why I'm here or why I posted that message. I just thought that it would be a good idea, if you know the Epiphany Audio guy personally, to recommend that he say more on his website about his subwoofer than the highly ineffective minimalist sound-bite that is there now. That was the whole purpose of my post. I already own an extremely competent Stryke Thunder 12.3 subwoofer which has an AV12 woofer loaded in it and is powered by 500 Class-G Watts, by way of of Parts Express. That's all the subwoofer I need right now, and it's wall-flexing in the room I have it in. The AV12 woofer is a quality part.

(I'd better shut up before I get in more trouble.)

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2004, 02:05 pm »
Well, I saw none of that information about the E-Cube on the products page of Epiphany's website. I just saw hyperbole.

It's only hyperbole if it is indeed exaggerated. If there is no exaggeration and all is true then I guess there is no hyperbole?

Maybe you should contact them to let you know how you feel if you think it to be helpful to them.

Hyperbole may have been tolerable (and even the norm) back in Bible times (and we need to read and examine the Bible in that context),

What? We should read the word of God with the premiss that it is exaggerated?

Let's not even go there.

As for the proprietary 10" driver, I stand corrected. I guess I just expected some proprietary technology like Adire's XBL^2 to show up.

Who said it didn't use such technology? I believe it does.

Also, I don't plan to go trolling on this forum

That's good to know. Good questions will get answers here if that is what you seek. I hope I answered your questions here and on the other forum to your satisfaction.

Rory B.

« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2004, 07:55 am »
I screwed up on the bit about the Bible. I am a Christian, and I am very interested in the field of apologetics as a means to gain better understanding of exactly what the Bible is saying and to answer challenges posed by atheists. The way I worded my post was not well thought through seemed to say that I think the Bible itself is exaggerated, when it is most definitely not. Sometimes there is some hyperbole in the language used to make a point, but it is fairly obvious when the hyperbole is being used and what point it is trying to make, and what I meant to say was that sometimes when people were trying to describe something really big, they would just pick a really big number that seemed to capture the scale of what they saw (like a discrepancy between two accounts of an old-testament king where one says he had 1000 chariots, and another which said there were 10,000 chariots. We are simply expected to gather that there was a very large number of chariots.) I did not think my post through very much when I was writing it, and I screwed up. I do, as a Christian, believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and it is absolute. I don't want to convey something contrary to the truth, which is that I do believe that the Bible is the Word of God and is useful for teaching the best way to live and for spreading the Good News of Jesus. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Note: My point is not to start a Christianity/Atheist debate on this thread or on this forum. I imagine there are some Atheists reading this thread and also possibly some Muslims, Buddhists, etc. I recognize the fact that this is not the place for such discussion, and I will probably get kicked from the forum if such a debate erupts.

But back on the subject of the E-Cube, without numbers or at least some satisfactory technical explanation of why there aren't any measurements or numbers or figures, it really does appear to be hyperbole. Yes, exaggeration. "Too deep and too powerful to measure" - we can measure down to 10 Hz and if the sub is flat below that then Epiphany should at least say so. Also, there are SPL-measuring setups used for car audio that can measure levels over 170 dB. I simply do not buy the claim that we are dealing with immeasurable quantities in terms of low frequency extension and maximum SPL. Epiphany probably means well, but they need to recognize that they need to provide some actual data about the performance of their subwoofer, especially in this day and age where claims aren't enough when we could be getting real, truthful numbers.

wshuff

« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2004, 12:09 pm »
need to provide some actual data about the performance...especially in this day and age where claims aren't enough when we could be getting real, truthful numbers.

Doesn't seem to hurt Bose very much.