Chamfers and Roundovers

chrislittle

Chamfers and Roundovers
« on: 12 Jul 2013, 02:07 am »
Hi,

I'm about to experiment with some roundovers on my woofer holes and edges of my baffles.

I know it is common practice to use a chamfer on the back of driver holes, even in enclosure type cabinets, but I have found roundovers have some pretty dramatic effects in a variety of situations.

Does anybody have some practical advice regarding chamfers or roundovers on the driver holes or edges of baffles?

mcgsxr

Re: Chamfers and Roundovers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2013, 11:56 am »
When I built my mdf baffles for the b200 Visatons, I used a 3/4 roundover on all edges.  I did not chamfer the holes for the drivers though.

I was happy with the sound, though adding the bass drivers to the main baffles did muddy the mids.  Not that the roundover or chamfer would likely have helped with the vibration!

versus rider

Re: Chamfers and Roundovers
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:30 pm »
With bass reflex cabs I chamfered the back of the driver openings, but on open baffles and now my open back boxes I mount the drivers at the rear of the baffle and brace the frame, the brace also helps hold the driver in place. I use  a roundover on the front face of the baffle. Cannot comment on what difference these features make as have not compared them with other ways of doing things.