My father's old photos. Wow.

charmerci

My father's old photos. Wow.
« on: 6 Jul 2013, 12:30 am »
My older brother's moving. He accidentally sent me my dad's photos from the 40's and 50's. (Thousands of them!) Fascinating stuff! They're mostly of Japan and some side trips to Hong Kong and Thailand. He was working civilian military in accounting. I'm photographing them, "cleaning" them up a bit and putting them on my computer. I may self-publish a book for family and friends.

The weird thing is he never talked about his travels - even though as children we had seen the photos. Haven't a clue about them except through these photos.

Nachi Temple girl 1948

Hat cleaners - Ginza, Tokyo

- and a real kicker!! Hiroshima Sept. 25, 1949!

« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2013, 02:13 am by charmerci »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: My father's photos
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2013, 12:34 am »
That's cool. I'll just wait here patiently for you to upload and post the remaining photographs.
Very neat, thank you very much for sharing.

Bob  :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2013, 01:14 am »
Very neat.  I'll second that.  I can imagine your joy in having those.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2013, 02:12 am »
They are great. Bob, I don't think AC will let me post thousands of photos up here!!! :roll: :lol:

But I'll try to post more.

Ito, Japan fishing boat.

PeteG

Re: My father's old photos. Wow.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2013, 03:21 am »
What a treasure, do you know what camera he had. I would enjoy seeing more.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2013, 03:35 am »
What a treasure, do you know what camera he had. I would enjoy seeing more.

I don't remember we got rid of it years ago - I think. Maybe one of my brothers has it stored somewhere.

I've got thousands and I'll be digitizing hundreds of them. I'll post more over the coming days and weeks. It's going to be a long slog as I'm also tracing his travels. It's not a fast process.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2013, 03:44 am »
Hey!

Wow! Indeed! :D I love old photos. charmerci, you just discovered treasure my friend. Thank you so much for sharing them, would love to see more.

But one thing I would suggest when you up load them on the internet is that you should, if you photo program allow is to encoded copyright with you name or watermark them and contact email if you want. I actually encoded copyright on all my photos I loaded up on the internet. In case you come across your photo used without permission. Actually this is something everyone should do.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing them.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2013, 03:04 pm »
I would definitely be interested in checking your father's pictures up.  Keep them coming and I would also follow Buddy's advice on copyrighting them.  The subject of the photos is in itself fascinating. 

Paul :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2013, 03:17 pm »
Cool, what a neat find. Interesting history. As others noted keep them coming as you can, & Thanks for posting them.  8)

JD

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2013, 06:32 pm »
Great stuff. You said photographing... Are you scanning them?

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2013, 02:07 am »
I'm just using Windows Media with a quick and dirty method to "clean" them up. I have Olympus' ib software too but I've made a quick search and I can't see how to watermark them. (What are you guys planning to claim them for your own???  :green: )

I'm just photographing them.