Hook up wire - any recommendations?

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« on: 19 Jul 2004, 10:32 pm »
I am in the final stages of putting together a high sensitivity stand mount speaker kit and would like to use better hook up wire than the rubbish provided.

Any recommendations on what to use? I would prefer to go down the  silver pathway, as the rest of the cabling is silver. Also, solid core, though could be persuaded otherwise if there is good reason to use an alternative.

Finally, are there any wire to wire clamps available instead of relyingon speaker binding posts? If not, where do you buy the speakon units?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions folks.

beat

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2004, 10:44 pm »
Hi luigi,
I have asked the same thing before. I have no first hand experience to offer but it seems as though most people believed the silver would take a really long time to break in. I would still consider it but I'd be ready to take it apart again a month later. The advice given to me was spare myself the headache and or worry and just get a good continuous cast copper. I cant help you in the other department, sorry

Bingenito

Wire and connectors
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2004, 11:28 pm »
Any recommendations on what to use? I would prefer to go down the silver pathway, as the rest of the cabling is silver. Also, solid core, though could be persuaded otherwise if there is good reason to use an alternative.

Finally, are there any wire to wire clamps available instead of relyingon speaker binding posts? If not, where do you buy the speakon units?

I would use stranded silver to avoid skin effect of solid wire. www.apexjr.com will do just fine.

Speakon connectors are available from www.markertek.com and www.partsexpress.com

I used speakons on th apex wire in my linearrays and could not be mor pleased with the result

StevenACNJ

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2004, 11:03 am »
The best solid core silver wire I have used is Audio Consulting wire from Reference Audio Mods

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=WIRE

I have used it (24ga) to rewire my monoblock amps & internally in my speakers for tweaters. Great sounding wire.

Chris over at VH Audio has some new cotton sleeved solid core silver wire that looks interesting too.

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2004, 01:30 am »
Ditto on the Audio Consulting enamel coated silver hookup wire.
By far the best sounding I have used.

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2004, 02:22 am »
Even though we are the distributor for Audio Consulting products in North America, so there might be some biased judgement here,  I also agree the Audio Consulting wire is by far the best hookup wire I have heard. The whole reason here is that there is no synthetic materials (pvc or teflon) used for a diaelectric but rather than a polymenstride enamel and this really does do something perfect for the sound. Every time I change out the AC wire to something else with teflon or PVC jacketed, I get alot of brightness or problems in the HF area. The Audio consulting wire is the most neutral, natural and just plainly the only wire I have used to date that does not do anything bad to the signal. In fact it is transparent and like it is not even there, I can't hear any negative effects of this. It just passes the signal and you hear nothing else but the livest sound possible today in sonic reproduction.

You'll need a torch (small propane or even smaller butane will work) to burned the enamel off the wire. Or in tight situations where possible shorting could occur, I recommend using a #10 exacto type blade (rounded) and strip the amount you need off by hand. For the 35awg silver wire the only real good for stripping is by using a handheld cigarette lighter and carefully and quickly putting the sire in the flame. It will melt fast, all you want to do it char it. Scrape the rest of the enamel thats is charred off with two fingers with some pressure and it comes right off.

Also, check out the 35awg cable for your digital cable needs. Many strands need to be parrelled up for this, but the result is the best digital cable you'll ever hear. I have compared against Nordost/Siltech/Etc... and nothing even compares.