How to watch TV using a Mac Mini

Don_S

How to watch TV using a Mac Mini
« on: 1 Jul 2013, 08:16 pm »
A friend wants to sell me his almost unused Mac Mini. He has not used it so he is not familiar with it. It would be my first Apple computer so I am also an Apple computer virgin.  I do have an iPad but that is just heavy petting.  :lol:

I want to use the Mini as a computer but also watch TV using it since it will be located where my small TV usually sits. I would like to replace that small TV with a larger monitor to use both for computing and TV.  I only watch using an antenna and coax cable. I know I can watch TV with a PC if it has a tuner card. But what about a Mini?

Do I need to add Apple TV?  From the description it seems geared to YouTube, Netflix, and other web based media.  I am not interested in that.  I want to use my antenna and coax cable. The pics on the Apple site are poor but I do not see a coax input to the Apple TV.

Thanks for any help.

Doublej

Re: How to watch TV using a Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2013, 08:58 pm »
You need a Mac compatible USB tuner stick like an Eye TV stick or a Mac compatible network based tuner like HDHomeRun. I have not used any of these so I can't tell you how well they work.

Depending on your location you might be able to get an Aero account and use it.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:20 pm »
Mac has always been at the forefront of audio but never got much involved with TV watching and recording. For that reason, most use Windows for TV applications.  Windows XP, Vista and 7 all had the Windows Media Center application included in the OS, so that all that was needed was a TV tuner (Windows 8 doesn't include Media Center, but it is available as a separate download).

So beyond one of the ATSC (digital Over-the-Air broadcast TV using an antenna) tuners that Doublej mentioned, you will need some kind of software for viewing live TV (and recording it if you want).  Elgato EyeTV ($80) is one of the more popular TV applications for the Mac.

It sounds like the Mac Mini you're considering is fairly new, as the system requirements for EyeTV for example, is OSX 10.5.8 or later and a Core 2 Duo processor for H.264 broadcasts in 720p or 1080i.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help either, as I use Windows 7 Media Center with Ceton InfiniTV CableCARD tuner.  Not a lot of people viewing Over-the-Air TV (versus Internet TV) on the Mac, but it is certainly doable with the right tuner and software.

Steve

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:27 pm »
From what I understand, it's not a plug and play kind of thing and you will need a cable/ satelite box just like any other tv in your house. The extra cost of the box is what killed it for me.

Anyway, my guy at OWC  tells me that there are various problems with the different tuners and he doesn't reccomend  them- So, take that for what it's worth. Anyway,  follow the link to OWC and type in "tv tuner" in the search field and you'll see what they have.

If you figure something out, let us know as this kind of technology is ever evolving and I haven't looked into it in 6 months or so.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2013, 10:09 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their input.  So far it does not look promising.

I think EyeTV includes needed software.  But it had way too many 1-star reviews on the Apple site. And several said they would have preferred to give 0-stars if it was possible. Devices literally fell apart in some cases.  In other cases they just stopped working. Pretty bad for a $150 device.

HDHomeRun was more confusing to me.  Seems like it needs to be connected to a router.  My router and antenna coax are at opposite ends of my home.  Also the HDHR unit was not clear if it included software.

So far  it does look like Windows PCs have TV viewing more dialed in. I will have to purchase a tuner card if I decide to use the PC for TV.

FYI, the Mac Mini was new in Dec 2011 so it is over a year old.  Without looking my friend did not know what OS it had. He only used it a week or two.  It has the i7 Intel chip.

He is offering me a good deal but it is only a good deal if I can find a use for it.  I was curious about Apple when I purchased my new W7 computer in 12/02. I thought this might be a way to try Apple but it does not look like it will do what I want in the location where  I want to use it.  The small size would have been excellent.

You need a Mac compatible USB tuner stick like an Eye TV stick or a Mac compatible network based tuner like HDHomeRun. I have not used any of these so I can't tell you how well they work.

Depending on your location you might be able to get an Aero account and use it.

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm »
I stream live TV though an Apple TV, you need an iPad/iPhone and an App on one of those devices from a TV source.

As an example: if you're in the UK you can download the BBC iPlayer onto your mobile device and stream from the BBC server to the device which in turn 'mirrors' the video through an Apple TV onto a regular TV.  This translates to free live TV and free archived material from the BBC.  When I'm in the US I can, theoretically, stream and mirror through my Verizon FIOS app but this is only of interest in my situation with the Apple TV/iPad functioning as an extra cable box.  I haven't bothered to look if there are US based TV Apps available or not.  Not sure if my response helps or not but it is technically doable if you can find an App that streams TV to an iPad/iPhone.

Steven Stone

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2013, 12:12 am »
Another option for using the Mac Mini for TV-watching is by using Hulu or Hulu Plus via an Internet connection. Unless you require real-time sports, this could be a good way to go.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2013, 01:35 am »
Looks like HDHomeRun does not include wifi capability or software. So you'll need a fast wireless bridge and Elgato MacEyeTV. You can make a wireless bridge by taking a compatible router and flashing it with dd-wrt or tomato or use a network over AC bridge or the Netgear wireless bridge. Free if you have a fast enough unused router to $100ish.

The MacEyeTV will set you back $80.

If want to run Windows instead, you'll need Windows 7 or the Windows 8 Pro Pack. The Windows 8 Pro pack looks like it will set you back an additional $100.

Aereo TV is looking better by the minute. $8- $12/month once it comes to your city. Access it through your Mac Mini.

brh

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:09 pm »
I use the AVerMedia AVerTVHD Volar MAX, little white USB stick with an F connector coming out the back. $50 new, mine was a refurb and I scored it for far less. Software is not great but it gets the job done. The kicker is that you can only receive unencrypted streams with these devices. In my jurisdiction, any network broadcasting over the air is required to be broadcast unencrypted over cable as well. So all the networks and their various sub-programming stations (things like Ion, etc) are available. The music stations are also available, but without any information.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:31 pm »
Another idea : a slingbox.

I use the browser on my mac mini to watch via a slingbox.  I.e. a cable box connected to the slingbox, slingbox to router, audio / video sent over internet, watch anywhere on any computer via a web browser. 

Even if you don't have / want cable tv / box, even to get over the air HDTV you need some kind of digital tv decoder / tuner.  You can hook up the output of that to a slingbox, then again watch / control the that tuner via the internet browser on the mac (or any computer anywhere in the world).

Refurbed / used slingboxes are available for as little as $80 or less.

Obviously the faster the internet connection, the better the quality.  But for standard definition even 1.5-2mbps connections are enough.  HD looks best at 3+mbps connections, with 6+mbps being best.