Returning to US

vinylvalet

Returning to US
« on: 29 Jun 2013, 09:27 pm »
After five years in Costa Rica, we're returning to the US. I have a Michell Orbe, Graham 2.2 and 12,000 LPs in storage. My phono stage can handle both MM and MC. Looking for a cartridge, around $1k. I've owned many cartridges in the past, mostly MC: Lyra, Dynavector, Van den Hul, Shelter, etc. I listen to mostly classic rock and blues but also love jazz and classical. I'll be building Pi 4 speakers (all premium components) and Pi 3 subs. Herron pre and 12W 300B SET amp. I'm approaching 60 and have rock musician hearing; not much above 4k and pretty bad tinnitus. So I'm looking for magical midrange, very low noise, good/solid bass. Tonal purity, very rhythmic, has to rock. That's why I'm leaning towards a higher output cartridge, probably a MM. Not sure I can still hear that extra something from the better low output MC cartridges.
I've done many searches and am thinking about Soundsmith; Carmen, Boheme, or their 103R retip. May be a Dyna 20X2L or Denon DL-S1. Looks like some interesting options from Ortofon (X5-MC).
I would appreciate any comment on the above or other recommendations. Very excited to be returning home. Thank you.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Returning to US
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2013, 09:00 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to vinyl circle and welcome back to the states.  12,000 records?  I'm getting a hernia thinking about it.

You say you're thinking about a MM, list a couple of Soundsmith and a couple of LOMCs + X5MC (HOMC?).

The DL-S1 is a nice natural sounding cart, but output is extremely low.  It might be just the ticket if you have enough gain.  Not as detailed as some of the MCs you've had, but the presentation is more like a 103, but with much more detail/finesse.

Most of the best MMs are out of production.  You could find a used Clearaudio and send it to Soundsmith for a level 3 rebuild.  You could also buy an AT-95 vivid line replacement stylus as a back-up.  The Nagaoka MP500 is well thought of.  I never owned one, or an Ortofon 2M Black.  A Clearaudio with an upgraded stylus is highly regarded.  Given your criteria it's the best choice IMO. 

The presentation of a MM is different than a MC.  Somehow it seems more straightforward and less sound-stagey.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with MM carts.

Welcome back,
neo   

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2013, 09:52 pm »
If you can stretch your budget a little, I have an Air Tight PC-1 for sale here on the circle. . . :thumb:

vinylvalet

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2013, 09:30 pm »
Thanks guys.