Bryston BCD-1

Darrenmcc

Bryston BCD-1
« on: 28 Jun 2013, 03:19 am »
So I finally decided to trade in my Bryston BCD-1 a few days ago for an Esoteric X-05 cd/sacd player. I debated going the dac/media player route but I'm not at that stage yet. The Bryston BCD-1 was a stellar player for it's price and I didn't think I could do much better but I've got to say the Esoteric X-05 is on another level and not really a fair comparison as the Esoteric X-05 is 2 1/2 times the cost. But is shows me how good the BCD-1 was. My concern was getting parts for it down the road. Anyway I'm happy with my decision but when I'm ready to go the dac/media player combo it will most likely be the BDA-2/BDP-2 combo.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Bryston BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2013, 02:44 pm »
 I have to ask this; in what way(ways) is the Esoteric that much better that BCD1? :scratch:

budcook

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2013, 03:03 pm »
I have to ask this; in what way(ways) is the Esoteric that much better that BCD1? :scratch:
Especially if the BCD-1 is plugged into a BDA-1/2?
Bud

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2013, 03:16 pm »
I remember auditioning Arc's CD-3 MKII a few yrs ago($10,000)and the BCD-1.
Chose the BCD-1 even though before had my mind set on the Arc for a long time.
No regrets whatsoever :thumb:.

Samurai7595

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:06 pm »
I replaced my Linn Akurate CD with the Bryston BCD-1 in my all-Linn Akurate music system and never looked back...    :thumb:

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:27 pm »
Hi,
I have 2 BCD-1. I never had any expensive CD-player before. The reviews of BCD-1 persuaded me to chose Bryston over other contenders.
Maybe Esoteric,Mark Levison, Moon, and Meridian are better, but whether the difference in price worth it. Me as a resident of the poorest country in EU, the price states at first place. My target was, is, and will be maximum rentability for the money and Bryston is brand that fulfil that requirement.

bjski

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:13 pm »
I didn't notice much of a difference with BDC-1 played through BDA-1. I used the BDC-1 and the BDA-1 both balanced to my preamp.

Using the BDC-1 through the BDA-2 makes the player a different beast.

I'm using coaxial from the BDC-1 to the BDA-2. The AES is used by the BDP-1 connected to the BDA-2 then all balanced to the preamp. I use the balanced output from the BDC-1 connected to BHA-1. I find myself always going back to the BDA-2 unbalanced and not the BDC-1 balanced when using the BHA-1. I just think the BDA-2 sounds superior whether AES or coaxial. What I don't like is the output level is slightly lower.

I'm not putting down the BDC-1 or the BDA-1 but in my system the BDA-2 just takes the kit to the next level.

spinner

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:43 pm »
 After having several good players the bcd1 has been the greatest choice. ..so much so that I bought a spare unit before it's sad discontinuation    :thumb: Also would the bda2 be a better dac then the bda1 for use with the cd1? :o

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:01 pm »

I just traded my X-05 in for a K-05 and the difference in the sound is remarkable.  More refined and richer highs.  Deeper cleaner bass, slightly taller soundstage and more pinpoint imaging.  Also it has digital inputs so I can now consider a BDP-1.  I bought the X-05 in '09 over the BCD-1 for many of the same reasons plus the X-05 plays SACD's and has the superior VRDS drive.  I felt the drive would be available for replacement/repair longer than the Philips drive in the BCD-1.

Owners of the BCD-1 should not take this personally.  As mentioned above the X-05 was over twice the price so it should be better.  I thought it to be priced at the point of diminishing returns for a CD player just as I thought about my 7B SST2's.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:49 am »
I didn't notice much of a difference with BDC-1 played through BDA-1.
Using the BDC-1 through the BDA-2 makes the player a different beast.

Oh Darren, look at what you've started... :wink: I told you that you'd enjoy that X-05 !

The BCD-1 and BDA-1 used the same Crystal CS 4398 DAC so you probably didn't notice a whole lot of difference between them sonically. The BDA-2 uses the Asahi Kasei 4399 DAC which is a whole other thing. And better. It is the same DAC that Esoteric uses in the K-05. Esoteric also uses them in the K-03 ( 4 per channel ) and their flagship K-01 ( 8 per channel ). As to whether the K-05 or BDA-2 sound better, not for me to say. There is more to the outcome than simply using a specific chip. I owned a BCD-1, I have had an Esoteric X-05 in my system and I currently own an Esoteric K-03. You can draw whatever conclusions you want from that. The BCD-1 was/is a fine unit and I'm sure that the folks here who have them are enjoying them immensely. As you should.  :thumb:

D.D.

redbook

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:04 am »
  That's very interesting  about the use of the same chips.  My only concern using my bcd1 with the bda2 would be the increase in jitter.  :(

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:25 am »

Theoretically, the "single-box solution" will always address concerns about jitter to best effect but I'm sure you'd be fine, Redbook. Try it and see if you get the opportunity.

D.D.

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2013, 03:27 am »
Oh Darren, look at what you've started... :wink: I told you that you'd enjoy that X-05 !

The BCD-1 and BDA-1 used the same Crystal CS 4398 DAC so you probably didn't notice a whole lot of difference between them sonically. The BDA-2 uses the Asahi Kasei 4399 DAC which is a whole other thing. And better. It is the same DAC that Esoteric uses in the K-05. Esoteric also uses them in the K-03 ( 4 per channel ) and their flagship K-01 ( 8 per channel ). As to whether the K-05 or BDA-2 sound better, not for me to say. There is more to the outcome than simply using a specific chip. I owned a BCD-1, I have had an Esoteric X-05 in my system and I currently own an Esoteric K-03. You can draw whatever conclusions you want from that. The BCD-1 was/is a fine unit and I'm sure that the folks here who have them are enjoying them immensely. As you should.  :thumb:

D.D.

Great point about there being more to the end result than chipset similarity.  One prominent additional consideration would be the output stages which vary widely in both performance and cost.  The Esoterics are know for their top notch output stages.  I have run an optical cable from the digital out on my TV to the optical in on the K-05 and you wouldn't believe how good the Music Choice cable channels and Pandora sounds. 

Darrenmcc

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:11 am »
I just traded my X-05 in for a K-05 and the difference in the sound is remarkable.  More refined and richer highs.  Deeper cleaner bass, slightly taller soundstage and more pinpoint imaging.  Also it has digital inputs so I can now consider a BDP-1.  I bought the X-05 in '09 over the BCD-1 for many of the same reasons plus the X-05 plays SACD's and has the superior VRDS drive.  I felt the drive would be available for replacement/repair longer than the Philips drive in the BCD-1.

Owners of the BCD-1 should not take this personally.  As mentioned above the X-05 was over twice the price so it should be better.  I thought it to be priced at the point of diminishing returns for a CD player just as I thought about my 7B SST2's.
I really couldn't say it much better. The first thing I noticed was the wider soundstage and the cleaner highs. Was it 10 times better...no....but there was definitely a difference. The BCD-1 was a great player but moving forward I got a great deal on the Esoteric X-05 and just felt more comfortable about replacement parts etc., on the Esoteric. I have also owned an Esoteric AI-10 so i am familiar with the house sound.  I wish the X-05 did have digital inputs though.

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:35 pm »
 Regarding parts, James has said repairs to bcd1 shouldn't present a problem because they held back a number of spare drives . :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:54 pm »
Regarding parts, James has said repairs to bcd1 shouldn't present a problem because they held back a number of spare drives . :thumb:

Yes we have 100 units available for parts as well as some drives have become available on the internet for purchase which we snapped up.

james

spinner

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:11 pm »
  Thank you James, that's good to know. I hope to keep the BCD1 for many years to come. ( I have two) If Bryston ever does another player using those Asahi chips that would be fabulous. :thumb: Bye the way have there been many repairs to the unit since it's creation? : 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2013, 07:28 pm »
  Thank you James, that's good to know. I hope to keep the BCD1 for many years to come. ( I have two) If Bryston ever does another player using those Asahi chips that would be fabulous. :thumb: Bye the way have there been many repairs to the unit since it's creation? : 8)

Its been very reliable - only moving parts are really the concern in the far future.

james

spinner

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2013, 10:34 pm »
  Thanks again..........

redbook

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:07 pm »
 I think it was said once that a whole different drive could be adapted if space allowed. :dunno: