salks/phono stage

stlblues

salks/phono stage
« on: 26 Jun 2013, 05:36 pm »
Those of you who listen to vinyl on your Salks what phono stage do you like?
I've been looking at the Whest TWO
                                       Graham Slee
                                       Dynavector P75 MKiii
                                       Heed Quasar
Table is a WTL GTA with a Dynavector 20x2H These are pretty much in my price range.

Gzerro

Re: salks/phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2013, 06:34 pm »
I have experience with the Graham Slee Reflex MM stage. It is their top of the line. You can get a free loaner of any of the Graham Slee stages from the user group for a couple of weeks if you signup at their website. You just need to pay shipping. I would recommend giving it a try as you don't have much to lose. You can't purchase the demo, so there is no pressure to buy.

During my demo of the Slee I was very impressed. I found it very "liquid" sounding and the background was very quiet. It had a tubelike quality that was very nice for a solid state preamp. It was a big step up from the built in MM stage on my Parasound P7.

During my search I also demo'd several other stages including the Manley Chinook (very nice), Fosgate Signature (colored and a bit soft but very cool especially with 50s Jazz records), and Zesto Andros (best of all, but way out of my price range).

I ended up finding a good deal on a lightly used Parasound JC3. It is substantially better than the Graham Slee in my opinion. Much better bass and detail, but it gives up the tubey vibe of the Slee.

My setup is a VPI Scout with Soundsmith Zephyr MI cartridge. I have Songtower RTs for my speakers.

I have no experience with the others you mention.

Good Luck!

fsimms

Re: salks/phono stage
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm »
If you only plan on using high output cartridges, I recommend the Dodd Phono Preamp.  I was even was able to use one of the lowest output moving coil with it but that required too much gain in my regular preamp and had more low level noise than I would prefer.  It worked in a pinch though.

Mine works very well with my SoundScapes.  Most LPs bring me close to chills when I play them at realistic levels.  It is that good!

The stock tubes were great, but I now use NOS Amperex Orange Globes for the two input tubes.  I still use stock tubes for the drive section.

Bob