Lifestyle speakers without complete compromise....

cjr888

« on: 18 Jul 2004, 07:55 pm »
I almost succumbed to a consolidated TV/Audio setup in the livingroom to maintain domestic bliss.  On a whim I had purchased a pair of Mirage OmniSAT's and stands.  Luckily UPS destroyed them (literally) in transit as a sign from above that Klipsch Cornwalls and an enormous, ugly, and gorgeous sounding vintage 6sn7/300b amplifier should stay in the livingroom.

I haven't given up completely yet, but there's still the temptation to consolidate to a single TV/Audio setup that isn't ideal, part until I have a more proper room to work with than currently, and part to continue putting further funding towards home purchase.

If I was to go with the compromise system, this would involve reconfiguring the room, and having speakers that weren't pulled out from the wall too much.

I was figuring one of the digital receivers paired with.....this is where I'm looking for suggestions -- relative value speakers that are comfortable somewhat near to walls.

The Cornwalls may stay, and tucked into the corners a bit more, but the speakers that keep coming to mind are the Mirage OmniSATs, Omni 50's (or their newer models), the little Gallo's, or the Magnepan MMG W's ( http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/magnepan_mmgw_mmgc.htm ) -- any of the above obviously paired with a sub.

Once I get rid of the remaining extra equipment I'll look into this more seriously, but I was curious:

Has any on this board heard or own the Magnepan MMG W's?  They seem like an amazing value for $299/pair.  Same question for the other speakers mentioned as well or other alternatives...

Just curious if all the lifestyle systems sound exactly like what you'd expect a lifestyle system to sound like or that -- that assumption being sounding like utter crap.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2004, 09:49 pm »
cjr,

Don't know those Mirage speakers, but I love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s.  They're not quite lifestyle sized (10"x12"x8"), but are well built and sound great for the price.  They're now available in a couple of different more lifestyle finishes/grill colors, but unfortunately that adds significantly to the price.  They also have a rather large center channel version and somewhat smaller models.  Prices would range from $700 to $1,400 plus sub for left, right, rear channels, and center (they offer Hsu in package deals).  5 years ago I was looking for a combined audio/HT system, but went with a 2.1 system because I couldn't find acceptable lifestyle speakers.  But with the CBM-170s I would have gone 5.1, no doubt.

http://ascendacoustics.com/

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2004, 12:34 am »
My brother has the Energy Take 5.1 in his place - decent sound, agreeable looks, CAN$750 or so with sub (roughly US$560?).

I recommend this as a great little system, on the affordable side of things.  I would buy it myself, if I was not seeking to combine existing audio goods with my wife's increasing HT interests.

Mark in Canada

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2004, 12:57 am »
Quote from: mcgsxr
My brother has the Energy Take 5.1 in his place - decent sound, agreeable looks, CAN$750 or so with sub (roughly US$560?).

I recommend this as a great little system, on the affordable side of things.  I would buy it myself, if I was not seeking to combine existing audio goods with my wife's increasing HT interests.

Mark in Canada

I used to own a 5.1 set of the Energy Encore 5.1 system...for the appropriate-sized room, I agree that these are a very good value surround speaker system for the price.  Surprisingly good bass performance from a small package, and the sub is very adjustable/good for fine-tuning the crossover and volume....