Tone Audio loves our Ultravalve tube amplifier

avahifi

jimdgoulding

Re: Tone Audio loves our Ultravalve tube amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:54 pm »
Way to go, Frankie V.  If I were in the market for efficient speakers I'd look no further.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2013, 06:16 pm »
What is the efficiency of your speakers, Jim.

I run the Ultravalve here with either Salk HT3 or B&W 801 speakers with excellent musical results as long as you don't need REAL LOUD.

Frank

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2013, 06:58 pm »
My current speakers are actives, actually, and I'm in no hurry to change them.  Thanks.

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2013, 08:32 pm »
Home Run, Frank :thumb:

Whish it had a balanced input for long interconnect runs. It is a sweet little amp.

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm »
Wow Frank!
The good reviews just keep coming.  And not just for one of your boxes, but for multiple boxes.  Ultravalve, T8+, Fetvalve 600r & 400r & Synergy amps....  When it rains it pours!
This comes as little surprise to anyone who has compared, and thus owned one of Franks machines.  I have a 400r and a T8+, and the only trouble is finding stuff that compares to them (they wupped my Cary pre & HK amp) because I don't know any audiophiles who are also lotto winners.
Frank, you deserve this so much.  Thanks for making your equipment the way you do.

Murf

trebejo

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:22 am »
There was an evening in Vienna where the audience was treated to three new musical works by the young composer Ludwig von Beethoven. The program consisted of the 6th symphony, the 5th symphony, and the 5th piano concerto. All premieres.

Getting the current batch of AVA stuff feels like being at that concert that evening--the audiophile audience might not have any idea of what these new little pieces will sound like...

Congrats Frank and crew, indeed, you deserve it, you have earned it, and we're pretty lucky to have ya around.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:18 pm »
Congrats Frank! I have had my U70 now for a few years and I do just want to make one comment about speaker efficiency and amplifier power. I have run my U70 mow with three different sets of speakers 1) Infinity IM 4.1 2) Paragon Volent VL-2 and now Gallo Reference 3.5s. the Infinities were run full range as they have a built in 850 watt amp for the subwoofers in each speaker, the other two I crossed over at 80 hz using my home theater receiver as a pre-amp. Bass duty is handled by a pair of VMPs subwoofers. The U70 has had no problems with supplying me with all the volume I require and can handle with no loss of dynamics at higher listening levels. My room is not especially large though it is quite wide at about 25 feet and perhaps 15 deep. I sit about 8 feet from the speakers. The Gallos especially are considered to be speakers that require a lot of power. I have to give the volume knob just a little more twist with them but am getting marvelous sound from them and again, all the volume I need. Even when cross over at 80hz the Gallo woofer is getting a bit of a workout. I must say the drum sound and dynamics from the Gallos can be quite distinctive and remarkable.

I would say the comments about requiring a small room or efficient speakers to use the U70 or Ultravalve should be taken with a grain of salt. If you can cross them over at 80 hz or so and have a decent subwoofer or two you can have quite a nice package with power and volume to spare.

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:38 pm »
No experience with the U70, but in regard to the post above, 80hz crossover (assuming it is hi and low pass) is taking some of the tougher load off the amp. But hey, I am sure that Frank will steer folks to te right AVA amp for their needs.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:56 pm »
No experience with the U70, but in regard to the post above, 80hz crossover (assuming it is hi and low pass) is taking some of the tougher load off the amp. But hey, I am sure that Frank will steer folks to te right AVA amp for their needs.

That is, of course the idea.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2013, 01:56 pm »
Any idea when Tone Audio's #56 will be available?

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2013, 03:48 pm »
The review is online and available for downloading...

Very nice review....great job Frank..

Congratulations!

Alex

avahifi

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2013, 07:33 pm »
You can download a .pdf copy of the new Issue 96 of Tone Audio here:  http://www.tonepublications.com/magazine/

The review of our Ultravalve vacuum tube power amplifier is on pages 194 through 202.

There are lots of nice photos of the Ultravalve included, better ones that we can take here.  :)

We will have a sample of the Ultravalve amplifier at the Capital Audio Show this coming weekend in Washington, DC.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine