Finally, hopefully starting my OB project with GR V-2 bottom end...

PDR

• May the best man win
I would of ordered a pair of the X-Statik already.....very good kit price on them....wow.
Its not the kit price....its the shipping. For some reason shipping from Texas to
Alberta equates to a space shuttle ticket price...... But I still want...that means gonna get...a pair.

Chops

OB's really do best when pulled out about 4 feet from the rear wall (measured from the top baffle).  You could always mark off where they are with some tape on the floor so you can put them back in the exact same spot if you don't like it.

Already tried that. It really didn't make much difference. If anything, it softened the right channel a little only because of that speaker's close proximity to the love seat. I put them back where I had them.

Chops

I would of ordered a pair of the X-Statik already.....very good kit price on them....wow.
Its not the kit price....its the shipping. For some reason shipping from Texas to
Alberta equates to a space shuttle ticket price...... But I still want...that means gonna get...a pair.

Well I'm too sure how they'll compare to those Super V's you have. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed though.

Chops

Maybe you just need a little room treatment and one of our servo subs to nail down the bottom end.

Actually, Dannie, I'm quite happy with the bass of the X-Statik's by themselves. They're quite impressive for a couple of 6" drivers in sealed enclosures.

If I decided to stick with these, maybe I'll get a sub or two. I have a pair of Polk PSW-505's sitting in one of the kid's bedrooms, but I don't want all that clutter out here.

Captainhemo

Perry,   I know what you  mean about the shipping and apparently  it  just recently went up again   for US-> Canada shipments.
 How far are you from  a US town with a border crossing ?  Some of those towns  have   services where you  can  use their  address to ship things  and then pick  them up.  Quite often , the border guys will just wave you  through.  Even if they  charge you  the tax,  you  still save  a bundle on the shipping as long as you  don't have to drive too far

-jay

-jay

Danny Richie

I think you and I spoke about component upgrades a long time ago for these speakers. What kind of improvements can be expected?

Higher resolution and detail levels. More space between notes. Less smearing. Cleaner trailing edges....

I also noticed some new drivers on your site, the M165NQ series. Are those compatible with the current crossovers or would an entire rework be needed? What do they bring to the table that the X-Statik's drivers don't?

The response is not quite the same. The crossover would have to change.

The M165NQ is a higher resolution driver that is capable of playing down a little lower in an open baffle.

Danny Richie

Actually, Dannie, I'm quite happy with the bass of the X-Statik's by themselves. They're quite impressive for a couple of 6" drivers in sealed enclosures.

If I decided to stick with these, maybe I'll get a sub or two.

They have a very clean and well defined bottom end. But adding a servo sub to cover the first octave adds an element to the presentation. It lays down a foundation that changes the size and depth of the sound field. Plus they dig right down to the rock bottom and allows you to hear things that the X-Statik's simply can't play.

Chops

Higher resolution and detail levels. More space between notes. Less smearing. Cleaner trailing edges....

Yeah, I might have to look into doing this later on.

The response is not quite the same. The crossover would have to change.

The M165NQ is a higher resolution driver that is capable of playing down a little lower in an open baffle.

They sure are nice looking drivers. Along with the crossover upgrades and those drivers, all of that extra high resolution might be too antithetical in the end. Then again, maybe not.

Chops

They have a very clean and well defined bottom end. But adding a servo sub to cover the first octave adds an element to the presentation. It lays down a foundation that changes the size and depth of the sound field. Plus they dig right down to the rock bottom and allows you to hear things that the X-Statik's simply can't play.

When I'm in the market for them, I'll most likely come to you. I looked through your site but didn't see any mention of those servo subs, unless you're referring to just the raw driver and plate amp.

I also just read something about those little TBI subs. Interesting...

Danny Richie

I looked through your site but didn't see any mention of those servo subs, unless you're referring to just the raw driver and plate amp.

I list the woofers on the drivers page and the amp is listed under electronics. You build your own cabinet.

Jonathon Janusz

Chops, I don't know his status on in-stock but Rythmik sells complete single driver sealed subs using Danny's parts if DIY isn't your thing at the moment.

Danny, as we are (sort of) on the subject of big OB drivers, did you ever get a chance to check out the BMS coaxials mentioned last time the subject came up?  If so, any thoughts?

Also, for folks who have the x-statik, is there a significant break in period before they really open up to what they are capable of?  I got a chance to hear them once a long while back and what I heard really doesn't track with what nearly everyone has to say about them. . . maybe it was the system/setup they were in, but I just get the feeling I didn't have the chance to give them a fair chance.

Chops

Chops, I don't know his status on in-stock but Rythmik sells complete single driver sealed subs using Danny's parts if DIY isn't your thing at the moment.

Also, for folks who have the x-statik, is there a significant break in period before they really open up to what they are capable of?  I got a chance to hear them once a long while back and what I heard really doesn't track with what nearly everyone has to say about them. . . maybe it was the system/setup they were in, but I just get the feeling I didn't have the chance to give them a fair chance.

Good to know about Rythmik. i'll certainly keep them in mind.

And IIRC, it took about a good 100 hours or so for the X-Statik's to come in fully. After that, it was probably about another 100-200 hours for minor improvements here and there. From today's little bit of fun, I know that rooms make a huge difference.

Danny Richie

Danny, as we are (sort of) on the subject of big OB drivers, did you ever get a chance to check out the BMS coaxials mentioned last time the subject came up?  If so, any thoughts?

I can redesign the model around that driver for anyone interested in it. I can't get much of a deal on the drivers though and it just doesn't make a lot of sense from a business standpoint. And I really hate putting time and money into the use of a driver that I don't have some production control over.

Jonathon Janusz

. . . so what you're saying is that you are quietly developing your own big OB coax as an evolutionary replacement for the V-series?. . .   :icon_twisted:

. . . and I don't remember if it has come up before, but regarding the x-statik, I know you are working on a model with the new OB drivers and a custom tweeter, but any thought to a "drop in" upgrade for the x-statik as-is?  There are a good number of these speakers out there and maybe adventurous folks would be willing to go in on four drivers plus crossover parts as a low-ish cost upgrade?

Chops

. . . and I don't remember if it has come up before, but regarding the x-statik, I know you are working on a model with the new OB drivers and a custom tweeter, but any thought to a "drop in" upgrade for the x-statik as-is?  There are a good number of these speakers out there and maybe adventurous folks would be willing to go in on four drivers plus crossover parts as a low-ish cost upgrade?

That's a good idea. I would imagine the cost of the four drivers, upgraded tweeters, plus upgraded crossovers would cost as much as the X-Statik's when new. But... If those upgrades increase the performance of the X-Statik by a good amount, it would be worth it.

If you're willing to go that far, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade the drivers in the sealed bass section with the M-165X XBL2 drivers.

The biggest and best upgrade I'd like to make to the X-Statik is change the brand name. I always thought the name "AV123" was stupid. It makes no sense at all and sounds like a white van special. I'd be quite happy however to have small GR Research plaques on there, which it should be as they were Danny's creations. But that's just my 2 pennies...

Danny Richie

I have no plans to design a driver swap for the X-Statik. The four new woofers and new crossover would cost twice as much as the X-Statik kit.

Instead a couple of new models will be released using the new drivers and a tweeter with wave guide.

The M-165X woofers will not be able to be swapped in at the bottom either. The impedance is not the same.

Chops,

The next time you order something from me I'll throw in a couple of our GR Research logo's.

Captainhemo

Chops,

The next time you order something from me I'll throw in a couple of our GR Research logo's.

Chops .  tjere you  gp !!   The GR logos will look sharp

Going to the Sonicaps  / mils on your cross overs would   be a  big improvement. 

Danny,  did the X Statiks come  with  no res in  the  cabinets ? 
Might be worth  doing that too if  they aren't already done

-jay

-jay
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm by Captainhemo »

Danny Richie

They did not. And that is also another good upgrade. It will tighten up the lower ranges quite nicely.

Chops

Chops .  tjere upi  gp !!   The GR logos will look sharp

Going to the Sonicaps  / mils on your cross overs would   be a  big improvement. 

-jay

-jay

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stay with the X-Statik's as well as do the crossover upgrades... Maybe. I say maybe because it looks like it would be a major pain trying to get the crossover removed because of very little slack and everything soldered, including the drivers.

As for No Res, there's "no res" in here, just thick felt matting...

Jonathon Janusz

Chops, getting the felt out of the way may be a little time consuming, but I've heard the difference between that and no-rez.  Very much worth the time to do.  Also, maybe the tight wiring would be a good excuse to upgrade the internal wiring while you're at it?  Also something Danny stocks and might make the upgrade go easier. . . and if the wiring is going anyway, electra tube connectors are pretty inexpensive too. . .   :D